PDA

View Full Version : Expansion switch

Crisses
02-26-2011, 03:59 PM
I'd like to be able to turn the expansion on/off for different worlds. It shouldn't work for Demon Hunter characters, but it would make it easier to switch between with/without expansion packs, and I don't have to muck with my installation to join in on a straight DC/no expansions game on multiplayer. It also might be helpful when testing or running multiple future expansions that we all hope are forthcoming -- we can turn the expansion on to help test/debug, and off again to just have fun. Right now I have 3 DC installations on my machine so I don't have to keep moving files around and changing my personal plug-ins. :/ They share one character pool, adding to the confusion.

Shadow
02-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Well turning the expansion on and off is pretty easy, just rename the expansionPresent.txt file that is in the Expansions/DemonWar/Assets directory.

The problem though is saving and loading. Anything that is only in Demon War won't load correctly in pure Din's Curse. For example, if you put an Empty Vial into your shared stash and then try to load pure Din's Curse, your shared stash won't have enough information to know how to load correctly anymore.

Crisses
02-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Drat. :)

[And some extra words so that I can actually post my response because it has a 10 character minimum.]

Bluddy
02-28-2011, 11:39 AM
I think the expansion should save its session in a differently named directory. Din's Curse Demon War would do fine. It could copy over all characters from the old directory, unless the character already exists in the new one.

Crisses
02-28-2011, 12:51 PM
I think the expansion should save its session in a differently named directory. Din's Curse Demon War would do fine. It could copy over all characters from the old directory, unless the character already exists in the new one.

That doesn't really solve the issue, although I can see an argument for automatic back-up of a character file before upgrading them to a new expansion --- JUST IN CASE. But I really wouldn't want to go back to an earlier level if I could help it.

If the game had a more graceful way to handle non-found item info that might be nice. A big ? icon in your stash should do it. I'm just looking to open up more potential for multiplayer games.