PDA

View Full Version : Tricky diplomatic win

Shadow
08-02-2007, 12:38 PM
A couple days ago I found out that getting a diplomatic win can be tricky. You can get a diplomatic win if you are allied with all of the covenants that are still alive and you are the most powerful covenant left.

So there are only 3 covenants left in the game: me, the Shining Blades, and the Monster Slayers. I'm allied with the Shining Blades, I'm the most powerful covenant in the game by just a tad, and the Monster Slayers have been whittled down by little battles here and there. Everything seems to be under control.

Then the Shining Blades launches a raid against the Monster Slayers. I wasn't quite ready to finish them off since I was trying to finish a quest but decided to join in on the fun. The Slayers had no chance with both of us raiding and they were destroyed quickly.

And that's when I found out how dumb joining in the raid was. Since the Shining Blades did most of the destroying they got the credit for the covenant kill, which gives you a ton of influence from the town. Influence is one of a bunch of factors determining how powerful your covenant is. Yeah, you can probably tell where this is going. All of that influence from the kill, that I helped with, boosted their power a little higher then mine. And just like that my diplomatic win chance was gone :(

All hope is not lost in this case though. When you have an alliance with all of the covenants that are left but are not the most powerful covenant, then the game gives you an option. Basically you have the option of taking your alliance win or to fight it out. An alliance win is only a partial win and the reward is not nearly as good as a full out military or diplomatic win. But if you choose to fight it out, all of the remaining covenants instantly declare war on you. In this case the Shining Blades had actually treated me really well all game long, so for a change I chose the alliance win.