PDA

View Full Version : Offensive (Meaning not Defensive) Characters

bushwhacker2k
03-15-2011, 11:16 PM
I have been trying a ton of character hybrid builds and I notice that a lot of my characters seem to suck.

I made an Assassin/Reaver, expecting it to be pretty decent because it'd kill things faster than it'd take damage.

But I've noticed armor really doesn't seem to protect that much against damage. I haven't gotten plate mail yet but even with full chain mail, I'm lucky to get 30% damage reduction. Does armor get better later or is it never really that amazing?

Neither assassin nor reaver gets a dexterity defense bonus, so I'm not avoiding many attacks.

As a result of armor not protecting me and not avoiding attacks, on top of not having that much life in the first place, I have to run from fights a LOT. I'm not even level 10 and I'm having trouble against things 2 levels beneath me.

Am I supposed to stock up on tons of food every visit to the dungeon?

It seems that without % Life Drain, melee offensive characters aren't that viable without a ton of defense or some way to heal.

If I'm doing something wrong, please tell me.

My pure priest (the only regular character class build I've made) seems to do well, but it's really boring as I only use Greater Heal and Holybolt.

I made a necromancer, and honestly I'm not far, but the characters I raise don't seem to contribute much. I raise an elite unit and it ends up getting slaughtered by a bunch of other units before I can even do anything.

I suppose mainly I just don't feel like I'm doing well. Does anyone have any advice that doesn't equate to "play an easier game, you noob"?

alstein
03-15-2011, 11:25 PM
I'd make use of the assassin's charged strike skill (the frost nova one)

AoE is huge.

As for the necro, I don't bother with skeletons, just head straight to zombies, and rise up the elites/champions.

Problem is to get two the point investment is huge.

bushwhacker2k
03-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Wow, speedy response!

Thanks for the advice, I actually already have a point in raise dead and thus far it isn't really helping, I suspect later it'll make more a difference... or maybe I'm just not raising the right guys, I dunno.

I'll check out that frost nova, it didn't occur to me at all to try that.

Do you have any recommendations on just staying alive in general?

Manumitted
03-16-2011, 01:26 AM
Do you have any recommendations on just staying alive in general?

The game seems built around a certain assumed amount of twinking and multi-character adventuring to maximize the chance of a good item being usable by someone.

It's much easier to get started and up to interesting levels when you can pass down enough good gear to double your stats or more. In an extreme case, I abused my herd of mules to get one recent character up to L12 in just 10 minutes of his starting town, a L24 burg. He'll get to L18 when he turns in the final mandatory quest.

The game also rewards a glass cannon strategy. A big-DPS weapon or selling out for high levels of one spell can make up for a world of mediocre character-building, at least when you get the first attack. My kinda-lame Weaponmaster / Healer became a juggernaut once I twinked him a 57 DPS giant sword at L9.

Bluddy
03-16-2011, 01:57 AM
You happened to choose 2 classes that are both 100% offensive, which obviously makes it tougher. Running away is not a shame in this case -- your tactics should be to use your advantage (high offense) as much as possible, which often means drawing enemies to corridors and such.

I'd say you can use the assassin's charged strike (frost nova) to help you in the low levels, but it won't hold up in the higher levels so be prepared to switch out of it.

Don't bother with armor piercing things like breech. but focus on skills like Ravage to attack multiple enemies at once. Unholy strike looks pretty good. Don't underestimate it just because it's the reaver's cheapest skill. It's cheap, gives an extra 15% damage with each level, and the frost effect on enemies means they attack you slower, which is essential for you. Terrorize also seems pretty good. A few points in this causes both a distraction and prevents enemies from being able to hit you as easily.

2 handed mastery looks good too -- it builds up your physical attack. Basically go for things that allow you to kill faster. The assassin has many skills that boost crit, but since you probably have low INT that's not that helpful. Deep-wounds-boosting skills make more sense. Your focus should be on getting your damage output as high as possible as fast as possible, while investing in vitality points to keep you alive.

Bluddy
03-16-2011, 02:00 AM
The game seems built around a certain assumed amount of twinking and multi-character adventuring to maximize the chance of a good item being usable by someone.

It's much easier to get started and up to interesting levels when you can pass down enough good gear to double your stats or more. In an extreme case, I abused my herd of mules to get one recent character up to L12 in just 10 minutes of his starting town, a L24 burg. He'll get to L18 when he turns in the final mandatory quest.

The game also rewards a glass cannon strategy. A big-DPS weapon or selling out for high levels of one spell can make up for a world of mediocre character-building, at least when you get the first attack. My kinda-lame Weaponmaster / Healer became a juggernaut once I twinked him a 57 DPS giant sword at L9.

Obviously having good gear helps, but I think it's much more rewarding to build up a character slowly until you luck out and get that gear.

DeathKnight1728
03-16-2011, 09:43 AM
There is one defensive thing you can do with a reaver/assassin. Terrorize lowers enemies attack and defense a lot, at lvl 20 it lowers defense -600 and attack -600. That essentially means that you wont get hit nearly at all. I am playing a similar hybrid and it works pretty well.

bushwhacker2k
03-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I tried making a pure Demon Hunter yesterday and it seems to be doing amazingly well. The debuffs that can stack are almost unfair :D

Spirit Strike only costs a measly 5 mana but it makes you hit way harder and can be used multiple times for a stacking debuff, most OP skill in the game?