PDA

View Full Version : Town Defense

bushwhacker2k
03-16-2011, 11:55 AM
I notice that whenever the town gets attacked, at least one resident almost immediately dies unless I'm really close and even then sometimes.

It seems that I can outfit them with cloth/leather gear but I don't want to take the time to outfit the entire freaking town every time I go to a new place.

I got a help hint stating that I can give something to the warmaster to outfit the whole town but either I misunderstood or the instant I handed it to him he auctioned it off.

Are there any recommendations for keeping my residents alive, maybe some way to get them to run to the town center when they are under siege (which they should do without having to be instructed first, the 'tards).

Shadow
03-16-2011, 12:20 PM
When giving items to the warmaster's armory slot make sure they are cloth or leather and chest, legs, gloves, or boot items. Basically if it is something that can be used by an NPC in town it would immediately be given to someone in town to use. If not it will be sold and used for the town lottery.

The other key thing is that when the town is under attack all of the NPCs will look towards the attackers so you know where they are.

bushwhacker2k
03-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Okay, so it's given to a random resident? Or is it assigned at the point of invasion?

In either case, I wish the town residents would gather in the town square to repel invaders, rather than stupidly deciding to go toe-to-toe with a 10 foot monster than I, a hero with quite a bit of monster-slaying experience, would have trouble with.

Bluddy
03-16-2011, 12:42 PM
It's handed out right away based on priority, with the quest givers getting the best stuff.

It's true that many things could be done to make the town defend itself better, but the idea is that these humans are fragile and need your help. If you played DoP, the preceding game, you'd have seen how the barbarians of Jorvik were able to take care of themselves rather well.

Actually, getting all geeky here, according to the Depths of Peril lore, the humans in the towns should be from the Krieg kingdom since they worship Din. The Kriegs are warriors, so why are they so weak? Whatever. The point is, they're weak.

bushwhacker2k
03-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Indeed they are : /

I didn't enjoy loading a new town only to lose 100 reputation less than 3 seconds after I had spawned because the town was immediately under siege and the residents were weak as newborn babies : /

Bluddy
03-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Indeed they are : /

I didn't enjoy loading a new town only to lose 100 reputation less than 3 seconds after I had spawned because the town was immediately under siege and the residents were weak as newborn babies : /

The randomness is part of the fun :) Learn to accept the fact that you won't save every town. It makes it both more realistic and perhaps more enjoyable since in this RPG, you can live with the consequences of failing. AFAIK a siege as fast as that is quite rare.

Bak
03-16-2011, 02:05 PM
It still bugs me a little when most of the town fodder get wiped out by a fast-moving scree invader with thorns. But now I'm getting tempted to wipe out some of these guys, as an object lesson for the rest of the townies to train harder. :D

bushwhacker2k
03-16-2011, 02:41 PM
I don't think I mind so much the town getting wiped, that'd be kind of interesting actually, since I'm used to games bending over backwards to accommodate my whims rather than trying to be challenging.

I still think the instant -100 rep was pretty lame, but at least it wasn't much.

I wish we could train these guys, or at least work out some strategy, I mean I AM trying to save them, not just wander in and take care of all their problems without really bothering anyone.

Srulz
03-17-2011, 08:13 AM
-100 rep is a drop in the ocean, trust me. Once you got to a certain stages of playing, you'll be used to the fact that normal people dying are just "collateral damage" in this war :p

DeathKnight1728
03-17-2011, 06:54 PM
I don't think I mind so much the town getting wiped, that'd be kind of interesting actually, since I'm used to games bending over backwards to accommodate my whims rather than trying to be challenging.

I still think the instant -100 rep was pretty lame, but at least it wasn't much.

I wish we could train these guys, or at least work out some strategy, I mean I AM trying to save them, not just wander in and take care of all their problems without really bothering anyone.

I wipe out any villagers that do anything remotely unfriendly. Someone steals, dead, someone gets drunk and starts a fight, dead. The only people i dont kill are the people necessary to survive the town-apothecary, steward, warmaster. The people that are justly in a fight, or get property stolen, i usually give them some money to let them focus on something else.

bushwhacker2k
03-17-2011, 10:00 PM
xD I think I'm already at the point of weak town-members being collateral damage.

Christ, this last town got attacked FOUR times before I could reach the 2nd floor >:O

What are the dis/advantages to wiping out all non-vital crew- I mean, town members?

DeathKnight1728
03-17-2011, 11:47 PM
xD I think I'm already at the point of weak town-members being collateral damage.

Christ, this last town got attacked FOUR times before I could reach the 2nd floor >:O

What are the dis/advantages to wiping out all non-vital crew- I mean, town members?

The only disadvantage i can see would be no one to work and pay taxes. Sometimes the quest givers sabotage the town, just wait and see.

Roswitha
03-18-2011, 11:24 PM

One disadvantage is that if the town attack appears at the edge of the town, there's nobody to fight the monsters and slow down their progress, so the first person they'll get to is a quest giver.

bushwhacker2k
03-19-2011, 01:40 AM
One disadvantage is that if the town attack appears at the edge of the town, there's nobody to fight the monsters and slow down their progress, so the first person they'll get to is a quest giver.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Do you lose reputation for offing a dude the same as if a monster had offed him?

The Coffee God
03-19-2011, 08:35 AM
That's kinda what I was thinking. Do you lose reputation for offing a dude the same as if a monster had offed him?
Yes.
Any NPC you kill by your own hand deals you a -rep.

I learned this one the hard way.
Two of my NPCs just wouldn't stop fighting, and to save my Warmaster, I stepped into the fight and killed the townsperson attacking my Warmaster.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/thecoffeegod/smilies/lol.gif
Come to think of it, that town was kind of screwy anyways.
Save for my peace loving Apothecary, everyone was brawling in that town. Out of the 6 NPCs I lost in that town, I lost 5 NPCs to them killing eachother, and 1 NPC I killed myself.

Srulz
03-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Today I learnt 1 GREAT way to handle a Town Defense while I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere with used Teleport Stone and blocked Gates.

I SUICIDE :D

Edit: And I STILL lost the town (my first ever loss!!) due to a Tornado touching down and killing my lone Steward. :(

DanielZKlein
03-25-2011, 12:48 AM
I would like some advance warning of a town attack. Maybe as an easier difficulty mode? Sometimes it's really random--you're deep in the dungeon, there's a town attack, and even though you know instantly where the nearest gate is and make a beeline for it, three or four town residents die before you get to the gate.

Antigrav
03-25-2011, 06:36 AM
The most fun I've had with this game so far was when my character was slogging through a tricky dungeon and finally, finally killed the one boss that had been sending troublemakers up to town for ages.

Then right away, the town was wiped out in a couple of minutes by barbarian raiders.

I was flabbergasted, and strangely awed. It was the first time in a long time that a video game had made an impression on me. The setup is a great idea: you can really get involved in the fate of the town, investing all that effort into tracking down the sources of trouble.

I think most town invasions have a source. You can find plans, destroy gates and recon totems, eliminate bosses. The barbarians are probably totally independent, though, like a tornado.