PDA

View Full Version : Fire mage complaint: invisible explosions

menscher
03-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Hi,
Casual newcomer to DC, also got the expansion, and a real fan so far. Have dabbled with a few characters, mostly getting them to 30's or 40's then start a new one. Really great game.

Currently playing a lvl 32 pure fire mage, it's a difficult build but mostly very fun to play.

But one thing is incredibly annoying and unfair: these invisible dungeon explosions after a fire spell that happen totally without warning and insta-kill the character. This is NOT the cave-ins, those are bad enough but at least you have a second to see them coming and get out of the way.

The explosions I'm referring to happen once in a while just after casting fireball or maelstrom, you hear a little click and then bam, enough damage to kill me if I'm at less than about 2/3 health. Guessing it's some dungeon element that invisibly explodes from the fire. But it's seemingly unpredictable, and therefore impossible to defend against.

Probably HALF my deaths are due to these little click explosions. This is an extremely aggravating and unfair way to die, it's not fun or challenging, just tedious.

I understand the concept that fire mages have built-in danger associated with the spells... and the cave-ins, exploding barrels, etc work well for that. But these invisible gas explosions or whatever are pointless. A fire mage is already a VERY fragile character to play without dying frequently... so these explosions are a really bad game element imo.

And if i'm missing something here, let me know!
Cheers

bushwhacker2k
03-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Forgive my relative inexperience but I have NO IDEA what you're referring to.

I would suspect that's either from exploding barrels or traps on the ground, but I don't think I've ever encountered anything I couldn't attribute to something.

Could it be a reaction from a spell you cast?

Roswitha
03-22-2011, 12:39 AM
If you see green steam coming out of a crack, it's gas. Highly flammable. :) White steam is water vapor.

Other possibilities are regular barrels, oil barrels, and alcohol barrels, which will all catch fire when hit with it.

Bluddy
03-22-2011, 12:42 AM
Also if you blow up an energy vortex you get a huge explosion.

May I ask what skills you're using and at what levels?

Manumitted
03-22-2011, 01:20 AM
I'm pretty sure that the little click indicates the detonating fireball or continuing firestorm just found a tasty gas leak. Gas explosions are considered a trap, and the click means the trap went off. Fireball's fiery concussion may sometimes stick around long enough to ignite the gas leak that it just exposed, and Maelstrom is obviously a continuing firestorm that rips up 3/4 of the screen. A gas leak yet to be popped looks like a green plume from the ground.

I have a Defender/Fire Mage who has taken a few of these things himself. He never died because of his massive HP. The clicks stopped resulting in damage just as soon as I put on sufficient Trap Disarm gear to disarm this "trap."

Unfortunately, you won't be able to use my solution, as the Fireman exploit was fixed many versions ago. All I can say within current game rules is try to shoot things at a distance so the gas explosion doesn't reach you, and run away from any Maelstrom you cast.

If you're willing to alter the game a bit, check the mod forum for two possible solutions to your problem.

Bluddy
03-22-2011, 04:23 AM
One solution would be to implement what I used to have in (and took out of) my balance mod: resistance going up with each fire spell level. If you play with fire, you should have some pretty decent fire resistance. Fire mastery shouldn't be a necessity -- knowing the spells is mastery in itself.

Manumitted
03-22-2011, 05:05 AM
One solution would be to implement what I used to have in (and took out of) my balance mod: resistance going up with each fire spell level. If you play with fire, you should have some pretty decent fire resistance. Fire mastery shouldn't be a necessity -- knowing the spells is mastery in itself.

Unfortunately for that logical idea, gas explosions check Magic resist, not Fire resist. They are just repurposed Magical Explosion traps.

Bluddy
03-22-2011, 05:22 AM
Unfortunately for that logical idea, gas explosions check Magic resist, not Fire resist. They are just repurposed Magical Explosion traps.

Wow really? I'd say that's completely off. Nothing magical about them!

I'd definitely call that a bug. In fact I'm changing that right now in my mod, and I hope Shadow will change it too.

Shadow
03-22-2011, 09:23 AM

Yeah, I need to go in and fix that.

Valgor
03-22-2011, 01:58 PM

Hasn't it been like that since the beginning?

menscher
03-23-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses.

So it sounds like its gas traps... and the problem is that fireball or maelstrom click the trap and then set off the gas explosion almost instantaneously, before you can do anything to get away. So it's often insta-death for a fragile mage.

Switching the resistance to these from magic to fire would help; most fire mages have decent fire resist. And it makes sense that fire resist is something a fire mage must cultivate to stay safe.

Ideally, you'd be able to mostly avoid fiery deaths by playing smart - staying away from barrels, support beams, etc while you blow things up. But right now the gas traps defy all that since you usually cant even see them. Nerfing or negating that damage would help.

Despite this one complaint it's a great game, keep up the good work!

Arjun123
03-23-2011, 02:55 AM
While it makes sense to switch the explosions triggered by fire to fire damage rather than magic damage, maybe it might be a good idea to give the mage-type classes a slight boost to magic resistance per point of Spirit, as the Warden and Demonologists get for the elemental resistances. It makes sense, I think, that casters would get such a bonus, and this would also make Spirit somewhat relevant for these classes. It would also give them the extra perk of being the only classes to get a boost to magic resistance.

Manumitted
03-23-2011, 05:38 AM
Ideally, you'd be able to mostly avoid fiery deaths by playing smart - staying away from barrels, support beams, etc while you blow things up. But right now the gas traps defy all that since you usually cant even see them. Nerfing or negating that damage would help.

I wrote a couple of mods to do just that. See the mod forum.

menscher
03-25-2011, 03:41 AM
I wrote a couple of mods to do just that. See the mod forum.

Thanks Manumitted, those are great.