PDA

View Full Version : Problem with rescue mission

ShaggyMoose
12-26-2007, 05:44 PM
I took a mission to rescue an NPC. I have wandered around that area for ten minutes, slaughtered everything I could find, but didnīt find the NPC. There is no message that they have died and the mission is still current. Is this normal? What can I do?

p3n4nc3
12-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Actually I had an NPC I was supposed to kill wander into a neighboring map one time.

I prolly never would have found him except that I happened to see him cross the border while he was chasing a few baddies he was engaged with. I made a mental note and went back later and found him across the border instead of where the legend said he would be.

ShaggyMoose
12-26-2007, 05:54 PM
I left the area and came back and I was able to find them. Not sure if I somehow missed them the first time, but given the size of the area...

colo
12-26-2007, 11:19 PM
sometimes the NPC does not exist and you have to rescue someone else with a different name. this happened once that NPC is in a different area with a different name and when i rescued him the quest was completed. weird eh?:)

Delve
12-27-2007, 10:14 AM
I expect NPCs can be "lured" into neighboring areas while chasing down creatures. They're highly agressive, even though they need "rescueing".

I also imagine that once they're in another area and sufficiently far from the exit the pathfinding algorithm gives up and prevents them from returning to their original position like they normally would. This would mimic the player's pathfinding, since it seems that if the area exit is even barely offscreen the pathfinding gives up if you click on the far side of the wall.

Shadow
12-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Yeah, that's probably what is happening. They get lured into a different area and then can't make their way back to their starting point. I'll have to see if I can change this behavior a bit so they can get back.