PDA

View Full Version : Have town layouts as dungeon levels

forevernomad
03-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Just something I was thinking about, is there any way to add town structures to dungeon level generation?

I figured that some of the more humanoid creatures should have a more defined society and have tribal villages in the depths of the labyrinth.

Bluddy
03-24-2011, 11:25 AM
I don't know if it makes sense to put town structures down there, but it would definitely be cool if you'd find abandoned castle corridors with things, like tables and kitchens with ovens etc. The dark elves should surely have that kind of stuff. Perhaps a bridge over lava as well... There's just so much potential to put interesting stuff down there.

forevernomad
03-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Dark elves are what made me think of it, they are civilised and advanced so I would imagine they have villages and buildings.

But yea that's the kind of thing I was thinking, if we could add the structures then we can probably use the existing tileset textures to stop them looking out of place.

Would be really awesome to have an proper town in the lower levels that is dark elf territory.

That could even create a whole set of sub quests,
selling with dark elf merchants,
If I'm tasked with clearing boss Y from level X,
do I kill their leader, pay her off or complete a quest for them and then they could have the human town quest that's tied to it completed without bloodshed or perhaps they could protect their level and stop lower levels from gaining access to the town.

Sorry, too many ideas, although none of them are probably possible :(

Bluddy
03-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Probably not. The first problem would be to get the monsters to navigate around all the new objects... and a ton more problems would follow.

But what a great expansion idea!

Evander
03-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Actually, I was wondering if it is possible to create an NPC dungeon level.
If we could define the gear of NPC and make them hostile, that would be a nice change from fighting only typical monster.

Say some dark cultists, or a a brigand hideout...

forevernomad
03-25-2011, 04:52 AM
didn't one of the earlier games have npc factions, is that function still available?

or would it be as simple as creating a new creature type, that uses the human template, not sure if that is something we can mod in though.

Shadow
03-25-2011, 03:23 PM
You should be able to add houses to the levels with the editor. An editor button will appear on the starting menu if you type developer 1 into the console.

You can also make human monsters if you wanted to. Renegades and the barbarian invaders work like that.

Bluddy
03-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Woah. That's a whole new world there.