PDA

View Full Version : Moddable "events?"

tearfulbastard
10-20-2015, 04:53 PM
I am loving the unexpected surprises that pop up throughout gameplay, like ambushes, false NPC's in need of a rescue, wishing wells, etc.

Given the personality, sanity, and happiness systems, I'm wondering if it's possible to add player choice to some of these random events, a la Crusader Kings and King of Dragon Pass, to take further advantage of these systems.

For example, a dialog icon similar to a diplomacy alert could come up notifying the player that some kind of event has occurred which requires player choice. The player clicks it and a message with 3 options pops up. Each option could take into account a stat/skill or choice with a random likelihood of success, and each option could potentially have an effect on an NPC's personality, sanity, or happiness; or affect the clan's food stores, diplomacy, etc.

At a practical level, this could be used to provide more direct control over a wishing shrine:
"What do you want to wish for?"
1) Food
2) Gold
3) Equipment
4) A Blessing
5) Whatever the gods decide.

Or it could provide more NPC dialog/management options.

So in short, is there any way to create these kinds of player-input events through modding? Understandably all of this is likely outside the scope of the game, but I figure I'd throw it out there.

joku
10-21-2015, 12:27 AM
I sincerely doubt it would be possible. With Soldak's games, you can mod the data, but you can't mod the code. You could modify the existing events, you could add new events, but I don't think you would be able to add a choice system like that through modding.

But I have been wrong when it comes to modding the UI before.

tearfulbastard
10-21-2015, 05:48 PM
Hmmm, what about adding NPCs that are similar to already-existing NPCs that create a dialog when clicked? I saw an NPC that demanded I help him out, and I had three dialog options: help him, decline, or think about it.

I've been trying to track the NPC dialog down in the assets but have had no luck so far.