PDA

View Full Version : Whats the forums take So far on Zombasite?

DeathKnight1728
10-27-2015, 11:35 PM
I am just not sure on whether I like it or not just yet. On one hand it makes it so far to be very difficult, but..it does some things that dins, drox or doperil dont do.

What is the forum's take on Zombasite so far?

Tuidjy
10-27-2015, 11:53 PM
Fun to play, some bugs, the zombie angle is barely relevant and the clan aspect can be better.

I like a challenge, and will probably play it a lot until Fallout 4 comes out. I play hardcore only, so I'm a long way from feeling I've mastered Zombasite.

ScrObot
10-28-2015, 05:53 AM
I'm having a ton of fun with it. It is scratching that same itch that the previous games have. I have 50+ hours in-game (21 hours non-paused, according to the stats -- and I pause a lot) on a single character and it hasn't lost its lustre at all. It has replayability, randomization done right (and in the right places), the options to tweak your experience and the challenge you expect from a Soldak game, and reasonable mod-ability. They have got the ARPG formula down and it continues to work here.

*Engaging brutal mode, my opinion only*

This is directly Depths of Peril 2 (or 1.5 if we're being extra brutal), with the improvements from Din's Curse and Drox Operative layered in. I agree that the zombie angle, while presenting a new mechanic, is not that strong in differentiating itself from its predecessor. It's interesting and quaint, and provides some cool worldbuilding and such, but doesn't really evolve the game much.

Yes, the graphics are still a weak-ish point, for those that dwell on that sort of thing, compared to bigger name offerings. Yes, there have been updates to them, but we're seeing mostly the same enemies, mostly the same skill trees, mostly the same engine, mostly the same menus and screens. The combat continues to be great, but the management of the other aspects remains an area that could use improvement (or even a full re-imagining).

*Brutal mode off*

For players new to Soldak, or who have only played Drox Operative, I think this should go over pretty well. Hopefully it expands the user base and sells a ton.

I 100% understand the benefits to using (and extending) the existing tech and assets. And it is definitely an exceptional product for what is, at its core, one developer and one artist (no offense to story and sound ;) ) -- it boggles my mind that this level of quality can come out of such a small company, especially with a custom engine. Can you imagine what could be done with just another programmer and another artist (with a focus on UI)? Maybe Kickstart the next one...?

I'm absolutely enjoying myself, and foresee that continuing through release and potentially any expansion. But Soldak's next game needs to be all new, or a MUCH bigger leap forward than Zombasite is over the prior games. Say, Drox Operative evolved -- not just the same assets and engine with some new gameplay mechanics, but really take it to the next level so it only looks tangentially related to Drox Operative, a great-grandchild to that game that is related, but is far removed from it's source.

Hobo elf
10-28-2015, 05:59 AM
I think it's a good sequel to Depths of Peril, but I can't view the game as its own thing i.e a zombie apocalypse hack n' slash game. The Zombie angle seems pretty irrelevant. I don't feel any difference fighting against monsters or monster zombies. You can also catch the zombie virus yourself, but it doesn't seem to do anything interesting. It just kills you if you can't cure it on time. It just adds another layer of annoyance when playing a melee character whom I consider pretty weak already compared to the ranged options.

Edit: Wish the classes / skill trees got some new bells and whistles as well. In terms of character customization the leap from DoP to Din's was significant, but going from Din's to Zombasite it's nothing.

Throwback
10-28-2015, 09:37 AM
I'm loving it. Easily the best ARPG on the market.

The living world and the inspired class designs have really hooked me.

I think it has a few kinks to be worked out in various points of balance (for example, all clans seem to inevitably wipe each other out in about an hour), but the underlying world and engine is absolutely rock-solid and engaging.

I have no complaints about the zombie angle - I've just burnt through a bunch of potions getting rid of curses. I think as I get higher in level, the difference between zombie and non-zombie is going to be far more obvious.

The difference between this and Din's are very obvious to me, and given that this is only 2 people developing it I'm blown away by the amount of content that has been put in.

The UI could use some cleaning up, and the graphics are still not great (though clearly improving, and there is an absolute ton of graphical *content* which all works very well). Neither of these things affected my enjoyment of the game for more than 10 minutes.

Caal
10-28-2015, 07:56 PM
Feels to me like a zombie flavored DoP II. I especially like the dungeon areas - the revised graphics are really nice (love the stained glass windows), crafting, and ability to equip party members. Some minor glitches, but you can tell by all of the comments and ideas coming in that this game will end up great. Has a familiar feel for us Soldak veterans, but still feels new.

Pvt Cub
10-28-2015, 08:19 PM
I think it needs a more indepth clan management. The zombie aspect needs a lot more added to it as well. As someone else stated, there is no difference between the monsters and zombies. Nor does being infected or fighting/killing them make any difference to the gameplay.
It really is DoP 2. But I love DoP and am having fun playing this. Just expected more of a zombie/group survival theme from what I had read about it.

jureidinim
10-29-2015, 10:44 AM
Enjoying the game.

Of all the Soldak games though, I personally preferred Dins Curse - probably because it felt "tighter", and the bosses actions were more direct and impactful.

This game is good, and most of the improvements are great.

I like the foraging/hunting activity - i just think :
1) 1 hour may be a bit too long between activities - but i'll see how it balances out over multiple games.
2) should be able to do both at the same time and not exclusive. Run on two different timers.

Clans also are a bit hit and miss. One game i got two clans immediately attacking me which was ok. However most of my others games, clan politics runs the same for me - meet clan, bribe clan... sometimes right up to alliance in no time as your relation is improving with all the quests you do for them.
Never really need to trade with them - i usually just dump junk on them for money sometimes... So unless they do attack me - the whole clan politics doesn't seem to make much impact in game - just use them as quest givers.

Still - a fun game and I am looking forward to whatever else is updated / added in the future.

DanSota
10-29-2015, 08:08 PM
I'm loving it so far. I mean sure it has its kinks and occasional annoyances (like party members not being smart enough to get out of each others ways when using the healthstone), but I've found myself playing it much more than Din's Curse. However, I do have some minor complaints..

The zombie theme feels just tacked on. Its an interesting concept but it feels unrealized. Rather than feeling like a serious threat, it just feels like an occasional annoyance.

Being infected, while an interesting element, gets annoying. Rather than feeling like a real threat, I find myself going "Great, I'm infected.. Time to potion spam. Yay."

Armor only upgrades durability and not actual armor or defense. I'm not sure why its this way and I suspect it would be easy to mod in, but it really should be there normally.

With that said, I feel like it would be interesting if you could add members of allied clans to your party to fight together. And then if the alliance falls through, maybe there could be a loyalty system where they could choose to leave their clan and join yours. I think being able to fight directly alongside stalkers or screes could be pretty neat.

Tuidjy
10-29-2015, 08:49 PM
Armors do upgrade armor value, it's just rare.

ScrObot
10-29-2015, 08:56 PM

Also note that Armor Scraps and Grindstones don't appear to upgrade the armor/damage if the item's level is at your current level.

I've been upgrading a bow, and I can use a ton of grindstones on it and it won't increase the base damage, but once I level up, I will be able to get a base damage upgrade out of it (which ups the item level requirement).

DanSota
10-29-2015, 08:56 PM

Apparently rare means less than 1% because I can confirm I have never once had it happen no matter how many times I've done it. Does it only go up by a single point? Because if it does, then its definitely a problem with armor scrap costs.

Tuidjy
10-29-2015, 09:04 PM
My current armor goes up by 2 or 3 armor points, every level. It will not go any higher, once the level requirements match your level.

DanSota
10-29-2015, 09:07 PM
My current armor goes up by 2 or 3 armor points, every level. It will not go any higher, once the level requirements match your level.

That's strange. I'm going to have to look into this because I've never gotten it to work before.

Delilah Rehm
10-30-2015, 03:39 PM
The environment in this game blows me away. The trees and bushes move. You can run through tall grass, stand over bridges with running water or lava below. The caves are really cool, and the sound makes it feel more real. My favorite one so far was when I was standing next to a river and it was snowing. It looked like the snow was landing and then sliding a bit on the ice. Just breath taking! The maps are not blatantly square anymore. Everything about it sings to me. It is amazing.

As far as the infection, I don't know if anyone will think this is a spoiler, so this is your warning...

I sometimes take advantage of the secondary infection to map higher level areas while the zombies ignore me, find teleports stones back home, and find other clans for trading. Only bad thing is you can't stay home too long because of the parasites popping off you (but might be useful in an enemy clan's area), and you can't rescue overwhelmed npcs in the wild when you can't attack anything. But overall, I like staying infected with #2 for as long as I can.

I swear sometimes clans have the coolest stuff. I'm always on the hunt for extra bags, food, artifacts. You can usually make all of your money back that you spend with them by selling them stuff they want that you would have just scrapped anyway.

Hobo elf
10-30-2015, 04:40 PM
Contact with other clans is also highly valued by clans. I've bought several set items and made all my money back by selling contact info.

DanSota
11-02-2015, 12:34 AM

Alright, I managed to get a picture. You seem to know more about this armor upgrading thing, so maybe you could explain to me why this happened. Four level ups in a row all with no base armor added.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98179885/Screenshots/ss0007.png

Tuidjy
11-02-2015, 02:22 AM
Well, it would be completely unbalanced if every upgrade to every armor piece added significant armor values. If I were the one to program this, I would have made every upgrade increase the armor value with a percentage of the original, basic value of the item type.

So if you are upgrading a tiny band of cloth around your waist, you would never achieve anything worthwhile, and almost every upgrade would be rounded to zero. If on the other hand, you are upgrading something that is already pretty good, or a random item that already has multipliers to its basic value, you would be seeing consistent increases.

Just a guess, but it sounds logical to me.

DanSota
11-02-2015, 03:17 AM
Just a guess, but it sounds logical to me.

That's the thing about games though, what's logical doesn't equal what's good or fun. I mean there's a reason games don't have exhaustion meters that when they are out you have to sleep for hours to restore it, or you get hungry and need to eat all the time, or you get exhausted from running and have to rest for a good while, or you have to stop and catch your breath after swinging a heavy weapon around, and so on and so on. To make a game fun, you have to throw out what's logical in favor of what's fun and practical, otherwise all games would uninstall and never let you play them again after you die just one time. The exception to this rule is when the whole game is based around that type of premise like The Sims.

All that aside though, it just seems silly to have it this way in a game to me. There is already a limit to how much you can upgrade something, a limit on how high its durability can go, and to top it all off it could cost you hours on end just to get slightly decent upgrades to something just for it to all crash the moment you find something slightly better, ruining all the time and effort spent making what you had better. It gets even worse when you factor in that one of these successful upgrades could result in merely 1 point gains, as all of my upgrades have done when they did successfully upgrade.

By the way, that's just the four at the time. The same item throughout only managed to upgrade by 1 point each time its first few, and then every single one after was a plethora of wasted 0s. Those four were just the ones I screen capped.

Tuidjy
11-02-2015, 11:37 AM
I mean there's a reason games don't have exhaustion meters that when they are out you have to sleep for hours to restore it, or you get hungry and need to eat all the time, or you get exhausted from running and have to rest for a good while, or you have to stop and catch your breath after swinging a heavy weapon around, and so on and so on.

I guess it depends on what you're used to. My favorite game when it comes to hand to hand combat, Mount and Blade Warband, has each and every one of the above, including permanent wounds/death and aging in its Viking Conquest realism hardcore mode. Zombasite doesn't, and that's fine.

But if you were garanteed to get at least one point of armor from every upgrade, you could just upgrade the ten pieces of cloth you got at level 1, and thus get ~10 points per level without any effort. This also assumes that all armors upgrade the same, which makes it boring. I much prefer to see better armors upgrading better, to be faced with the decision whether to upgrade something or not, and to save and plan for upgrading that awesome piece of gear that's just around the corner.

If you were to introduce guaranteed upgrades and keep equipment varied, you'd have to rebalance every thing around much higher armor values. So, yeah, you'd be getting higher values, but each would be barely worth anything.

As it is now, some things are not worth upgrading. You can't polish a turd.

DanSota
11-02-2015, 04:20 PM
But if you were garanteed to get at least one point of armor from every upgrade, you could just upgrade the ten pieces of cloth you got at level 1, and thus get ~10 points per level without any effort. This also assumes that all armors upgrade the same, which makes it boring. I much prefer to see better armors upgrading better, to be faced with the decision whether to upgrade something or not, and to save and plan for upgrading that awesome piece of gear that's just around the corner.

Weapons work like that, they get stronger each level. If its fine for weapons I see no reason why it shouldn't be that way for armor too. I don't see how rebalancing would be needed at all, because there are bonuses to factor in as well. Not to mention something starting out, lets say at 2 or 3 armor, would easily be outclassed by level 10+ armors that often have over 20 points. You'd get to the stronger armors before you'd even be high enough level to keep upgrading that starting piece. However, you'd be able to hold on longer to some old stuff you have with bonuses you like until you find something you're ready to replace it with.

Tuidjy
11-02-2015, 04:37 PM
We seem to be speaking different languages.

Armors work EXACTLY like weapons, RIGHT now. I can easily find a weapon that will get no increase on some levels. It would have to be a crappy one, of course.

If RIGHT NOW, you upgrade a decent armor, you get +2, +3 even +4 per level. If you are upgrading some piece of junk, you get tiny, tiny increments that round down to zero. If you want EVERY piece of armor to receive at least +1 per level, you will have a level 1 cloth belt have more than 30 armor at level 30, which is pretty good for non-magical plate belt. So you have just improved a band of cloth to equal a girdle composed of metal plates - not through magic, not through enchantment, but through mechanical means. How does this make any sense!?

If you want every piece of crap to be improvable to 100 armor, decent armor better have significantly more potential - I expect magical plate to be at least 10, if not 50 times better than a piece of string on which someone glued more string. So you will have plate armor with values in the thousands. All you will have achieved is inflation of armor.

DanSota
11-02-2015, 05:18 PM
The problem is that you're looking at it from a mechanical realistic point of view, in a game with monsters, zombies, potions, resurrection, and magic. What you're doing is like trying to cut steak with a spoon.

Tuidjy
11-02-2015, 05:42 PM
I am looking at it from a balance point of view. It makes no sense to be able to upgrade a string of cloth as much as a plate of steel.

DanSota
11-02-2015, 05:48 PM
And I don't recall ever saying that, but you keep acting like I did. I don't see why a guaranteed +1 at the least is such a bad thing, if higher tiers cap off at a higher guaranteed points. The higher the rarity and type, the higher the minimum caps. Its not like 1 point of armor would make a big difference, and its a lot better than seeing an endless stream of zeros start popping up. I seriously don't get what's so hard to understand about this, its gameplay appeal 101.

Tuidjy
11-02-2015, 06:02 PM
You only get a stream of zeros if you try to improve something that is not worth improving. And one point of armor, multiplied by one hundred levels, multiplied by 10 (breastplate, belt, helmet, greaves, gloves, boots, pauldrons, cape, shield, bracers) is ONE THOUSAND.

You know what, this post does not contain a single word I have not said earlier. This is pointless. I'm done with this topic.

DanSota
11-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Your math seems very off. How on earth would you come to a conclusion of 1000? Are you talking about the total of all ten armor pieces maxed out, something that requires level 100 as is? In Din's I've had armor pieces with like 300 points per piece, and that's not at level 100 gear.

Seriously, if you want low pieces to stop gaining armor points at higher levels, why not just make it so different tiers of equipment have different caps at which you can no longer upgrade them at all rather than upgrade them with streams of zeros? That way someone doesn't have to waste like 50 armor scraps trying to upgrade something that won't gain anything. Sounds like common sense to me.

DeathKnight1728
11-03-2015, 07:58 PM
So far I have yet to be able to get a character past lvl 10 as a char. I had dins pretty easy but I absolutely cant get good at this game.

The no vendors is horrible and you are set to using weapons that do like 4-12 damage. I can understand if the crafting system gets better but so far I have died like 12-15 times per each of the 2 characters I have played.

I used a gladiator/druid which seemed like good idea with extra zombie res. and decent fighter. I also used a thief variant but that failed too.

There has just GOT to be a better way to add vendors as there are zero good weapons in the game. The characters from dins could destroy just about any of the characters in this game due to having poor items.

Tuidjy
11-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Death knight, what exactly is tripping you?

I have gotten half a dozen hardcore characters to level 25-30, and I have absolutely no problem with offense, even if I only spend one third of my skill points on that (the rest goes to defense, and is still woefully inadequate)

There are monstrous offensive combos, even while sticking to basic classes. If you go hybrid, you can EASILY make melee characters that exceed their hit points in a single attack's weapon damage.

Throwback
11-04-2015, 01:25 AM
In my experience so far the melee characters are infinitely harder to succeed with than the ranged.

Combination of unavoidable DoTs eating through your health, an additional resist which is a must-have, high repair costs, very low stamina and some skill builds that don't quite feel right.

( Tchey )
11-07-2015, 06:35 AM
I'm not sure if i like the game or not. I've mostly played Drox, and only a few hours of Din's Curse or Depths of Peril later.

In Drox, the arts were not excellent, but they were enough, because it was spaceships, space backgrounds, space stations... About Zombasite, i feel the art is quite ugly, not because of low poly or effects, but because of the colors, shapes or things, etc. So my first complain would be about the "art", not the "technical".

Second rant is about the zombie part of the game. My very first thought was "oh noooo, no more zombie, please !". Then i bought it anyway because i've liked Drox and Soldak updates so far. The zombie part feel completly useless. They are just some different monsters, actually like others, with some variations. So, why zombie ? So many different settings can be imagined for an hack'n'slash... So my second complain would be about the setting, not attractive at all to me.

Third is the maps. They feel very confused and confusing. The link to go from one to another doesn't appear to be so logical to me, and the map are quite, hm... randomly random. Same for monsters, plants, and everything. So, my last complain would be about the randomness of the world, nothing seem to be "spacial" about it, exploration is not very appealing to me, and it's my favorite thing to do in mostly all kind of games.

All the Soldak's games signature are fine to me : the world feel alive, with events occuring with or without the player, growing monsters, dynamic quests... but i don't know, the game feels too much "like the others, but somehow different". So it's a mix of all with the best of them packed in one single game, but i've already played the others.

I've mixed feelings so far.

DeathKnight1728
11-11-2015, 05:43 PM
Death knight, what exactly is tripping you?

I have gotten half a dozen hardcore characters to level 25-30, and I have absolutely no problem with offense, even if I only spend one third of my skill points on that (the rest goes to defense, and is still woefully inadequate)

There are monstrous offensive combos, even while sticking to basic classes. If you go hybrid, you can EASILY make melee characters that exceed their hit points in a single attack's weapon damage.

I know how to make my chars, its just the fact that there are no vendors which means you have to grind a ton just to find something good. I am using items that are crappy because the game gives you no vendors to buy stuff. How are you supposed to get good items if there are no vendors throughout the game?

Tuidjy
11-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Then I must have been lucky with my characters. By level 30, I usually have found at least 10-20 unique items, 3-4 of which I useful to my character. It this has held for all six of the guys in my graveyard, and the one that is still kicking.

I just kill stuff, man :cool:

Shadow
11-11-2015, 06:59 PM
I know how to make my chars, its just the fact that there are no vendors which means you have to grind a ton just to find something good. I am using items that are crappy because the game gives you no vendors to buy stuff. How are you supposed to get good items if there are no vendors throughout the game?

Vendors will become a bit more common in the next build, but you should be able to get decent items through killing monsters and/or crafting.

DeathKnight1728
11-11-2015, 07:37 PM
I am not sure what you are saying. Crafting doesn't really do anything. A +1 to armor or weapon doesn't change much and from what I can gather it is best used to repair items with crafting.

Tuidjy
11-11-2015, 08:43 PM
+2 to base weapon damage per character level, improved by +ego bonus, +damage bonus, +max damage bonus is INSANE! Crafting allows me to manufacture awesome weapons already, by slotting the right gems.

Of course, I just learned that upgrading can break your item, which will make me rethink whether I will ever try to upgrade anything... as well as when I should try to repair, if at all.

ScrObot
11-12-2015, 04:10 AM
I am not sure what you are saying. Crafting doesn't really do anything. A +1 to armor or weapon doesn't change much and from what I can gather it is best used to repair items with crafting.

Using the higher tier crafting materials is key. I usually stick to Arcane Essences to enhance items that already have enchantments that I want on them, but you could also try your luck with Orbs of Fortune and/or Dusts of Destiny to fill gaps in your current equipment. And if you haven't maxed out your item, Alteration Shards are nice if you have a useful gem to socket.

Grindstones and Armor Scraps are fine for little boosts in higher value gear (and only useful for repairing lower value gear), but they're not going to be game-changers.

I am typically a hoarder of things, so I have to force myself to use the crafting materials rather than sitting on them "just in case". There's no lack of equipment to salvage for more, that's for sure. :)