PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Scrolls/Spellbooks?

Verkanos
10-31-2015, 06:29 PM
I've always preferred the spellbook system that was in the original "Diablo" versus the skill-tree system introduced in the sequel. I think the skill-tree was implemented for balancing issues. Finding spellbooks were difficult and up to random chance, and often doesn't might not be usable by two of the three classes. But I think spellbooks work in favor of the other themes of dungeon-crawling: Loot gathering. Part of the fun of "Diablo" and its variants is finding various loot to customize on your character, right? Finding loot is the fun part of exploring around in dangerous dungeons with deadly creatures, right? So, what if something like a spellbook system (or scrolls, or whatever) was introduced in this game?

I don't think new skills would be needed. Just make a spellbook/scroll drop randomly that is linked to a skill from a random skill-tree, which the player can equip to their character. However they can only equip a small number of spellbooks, and the spellbooks needs to meet certain requirements (like X number of STR or DEX). This would make for more interesting loot in the game-world, more character customization, and might be simple to develop -- right?

Some games I can think of that did this would be "Torchlight" series that uses spellbooks along with skill-trees for each class (albeit the spells were not from random skill trees, but from a 'general' list of actions). The remake of "Etrian Odyssey II" on the Nintendo 3DS is another example, where "grimoires" could be acquired that can add skills from other class skill-trees to another character.

Could something like this work in Zombasite?

DanSota
10-31-2015, 10:31 PM
I think it could be done, but why change the system now? Its pretty good in my mind and I'd certainly mod it back it if it was removed from the game, and if that couldn't be done, I'd either never update again or quit. Finding decent random loot is already a struggle at times, especially for Hardcore characters.

That said, if it would be possible to mod such a feature in that you suggested, that would probably be better than gutting the system I and I'm sure many others already like.

Castruccio
10-31-2015, 11:07 PM
I don't think he's advocating for a removal of the skill system. Rather, just adding a spell book system as well for some extra spice.

Verkanos
11-01-2015, 05:59 AM
I don't think he's advocating for a removal of the skill system. Rather, just adding a spell book system as well for some extra spice.

Pretty much. The two examples I gave earlier ("Torchlight" series and the remake of "Etrian Odyssey 2") used skill-trees and spellbooks.

Why not have a mix of both? I already stated I like the spellbook system, so something like this gives an option for either player with their preferences. Granted, I can see what DanSota is talking about with hardcore characters. But one benefit of Soldak games is the game-world can be customized to the player's preference, right?

DanSota
11-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Well, I can get behind the idea of an additional couple equip slots that can let you use skills that don't belong to your tree, that you find at different levels randomly. It gave me a different idea though, what if rings and jewelry had that feature just added to them? Nothing in the game code would need to be changed, only the assets files, as far as I can tell. I personally would like if weapons could have special skills on them that only belong to weapons.

As long as the existing skill tree system isn't gutted, then I'm perfectly fine with adding in more options for skills.

Castruccio
11-01-2015, 03:10 PM
Weapons could have special skills, or maybe they could add skill points to certain skills which would incentivize the usage of those skills. Artifact and legendary items that add 1 or 2 points to a random skill of the classes most likely to use that item.