PDA

View Full Version : Crafting: how it works and how it does not

Tuidjy
11-12-2015, 04:22 PM
I am having trouble understanding how crafting works, sometimes. I just went to a lot of trouble finding a plain grey sword with a lot of basic damage, and cut two new slots into it, with the idea to insert damage gems. For some unfathomable reason, the sword gained a 5% damage modifier. I am 100% positive, it did not have it when I started upgrading it.

The good news is that it did not prevent me from inserting a damage gem, although I expected it would. The two bonuses stacked into one - another thing that I did not expect.

The bad news is that I have no idea what is going on.

Shadow
11-12-2015, 05:03 PM
You get some basic bonuses for just having a higher rarity item (probably damage, armor, and defense).

Tuidjy
11-12-2015, 07:22 PM
Interesting. I assume that labels like 'superior', 'flimsy', etc, which can appear on a grey item carry a certain damage percent effect.

Would it be possible to change the descriptive line on the item so that it is clear whether the bonus is magical or innate, something like "+5% craftsmanship bonus"? I would not like to waste shards and drill a gem slot on an item already stuck with a +2% magical bonus. By the way, would be be to hard to allow a better gem to be slotted into an item, even if the item already has that modifier? I.e. if the item already has +32% bonus to damage, I would still be able to slot a 50% damage gem into it, and overwrite the bonus.

Shadow
11-13-2015, 10:19 AM
Interesting. I assume that labels like 'superior', 'flimsy', etc, which can appear on a grey item carry a certain damage percent effect.

Those actually change the level of the item, which of course changes the stats.

Tuidjy
11-13-2015, 01:46 PM
So where do the ubiquitous +2% and +5% bonuses come from, and how can I tell whether they will interfere with gems or not, before I expend the shards?

I mean, I would like to be able to think about it this way:

Ok, this is a rather plain sword, and it lists a +2% damage bonus, but that it just due to XXX, so I can safely use it as a starting point for my crafted weapon.

Shadow
11-13-2015, 02:00 PM
I still think those are just the bonuses from the rarity of the item and socketing a gem will work fine and not mess them up.

Current rarity damage bonuses:
Normal - 0%
Common - 2.5%
Uncommon - 5%
Rare - 7.5%
Very Rare - 10%
Set - 20%
Elite - 25%
Artifact - 30%
Legendary - 35%

So if you have a common magic sword that has 1 socket modifier, it will have a 2.5% damage bonus. If you put a gem in it, it will still be a common item but the modifier will change from a socket to whatever you stuck in it. So it will still have the 2.5% damage bonus.

However, if you now added a new enhancement to that same sword. It will move to uncommon rarity and it will get a 5% damage bonus instead of the 2.5% bonus and get whatever bonus the new enhancement gives it.

Tuidjy
11-13-2015, 02:33 PM
I see. Well, this makes perfect sense, and I thank you both for explaining it, and for making it this way in the first place. I think that if one of my characters ever makes it past level 50, I may put together a VERY fearsome custom weapon.

By the way, you have many gems already, but I have never come across some effects on gems - no min/max damage, no defense/attack, no blocking/parry, and no zombie protection.

Do you have plans on adding more gem types? It is not as if there aren't hundreds of precious and semi-precious gems named by the human race, and of course, one could just get a lot of mileage just from differently colored diamonds.

Shadow
11-13-2015, 04:42 PM
By the way, you have many gems already, but I have never come across some effects on gems - no min/max damage, no defense/attack, no blocking/parry, and no zombie protection.

Right now my thinking is that gems would become too powerful if they covered much more of the magic modifiers.

Tuidjy
11-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Well, that is probably true. But given that I have yet to get any hardcore character above level 40-50, and that my first Drox hardcore ship is still alive... I do not think that 'too powerful' is yet on my radar, as far as Zombasite is concerned.

Shadow
11-13-2015, 04:58 PM
Well, that is probably true. But given that I have yet to get any hardcore character above level 40-50, and that my first Drox hardcore ship is still alive... I do not think that 'too powerful' is yet on my radar, as far as Zombasite is concerned.

I meant too powerful compared to other things like Arcane Essence.

Tuidjy
11-17-2015, 02:42 PM
I have been noticing that gems slotted in high speed weapons deliver a lot less damage than they promise in their original description, as if their damage is multiplied by the weapon speed. As a result, gems are a lot less useful in daggers than they are in warhammers.

Is this deliberate? While it keep DPS consistent, it really skew balance, considering that DPS is more or less a meaningless stat for any efficient melee build - the damage comes from active skill attacks, and that damage of these should be derived from the weapon's damage, not its DPS.

Here (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=557303088) is an example of gems listing double digit elemental damage ending up as 4 to 5 bonuses. The end result is still pretty damn nice.