PDA

View Full Version : A modest proposal

Manumitted
04-21-2011, 11:35 PM
At least half of your forum registrations lately are obvious spammers. Why not automate the process of culling their excrement with something like this:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118421&page=4

I am blown away by how many bottom feeders hire these spammers to spamvertise their crappy little business all over the intarweb to reach maybe--maybe--20 potential customers, approximately 19.99 of whom hate spam. Einstein's quote about the only two infinite things comes to mind.

DeathKnight1728
04-21-2011, 11:42 PM
I have to agree with you on the spammers. However sometimes some of the things they say are funny. I'd still prefer spammers to trolls. Even though we dont get many of them, each one leaves a mark.

Shadow
04-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Our problem really isn't spam though, it's the spam registrations. Most of the spammers never actually get to the point where they can post spam.

Manumitted
04-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Our problem really isn't spam though, it's the spam registrations. Most of the spammers never actually get to the point where they can post spam.

You're not kidding that the problem is (mostly) the registrations. I went through around 50 consecutive userids, and 90% were spammers. Here's why:

Ha, ha (http://www.sooperarticles.com/internet-articles/link-popularity-articles/impact-google-caffeine-link-building-388901.html).

All those irritating links in their profiles are now worthless, though these spammers are too stupid to know it. I think I heard the sound of the world's smallest violin as I read this search engine abuser's cri de coeur. Poor little corner-cutting parasite.

Also, you missed a spam in the DoP Modding forum: 4-28, 3:19am. ETA: Never mind. No spam here.

Shadow
04-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Also, you missed a spam in the DoP Modding forum: 4-28, 3:19am.

I don't see any spam. Can you give me a link?

Manumitted
04-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Ok, I'm wrong. It only sounded like spam from the title, the unfamiliar new poster, and the low-traffic forum it was in. I didn't actually check the thread until now.