PDA

View Full Version : A bit about the camera

Maledictus
04-26-2011, 06:43 AM
I thought I'd do a little write-up on the camera, put things in one posting.

How to change the camera settings:

You can do this in one of two ways.
1. Change the parameters in the USER.CFG file. The file can be found in any of these places:
for XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<you>\Local Settings\Application Data\DinsCurse\User\
for vista/win7: C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Local\DinsCurse\User\
for mac: /Users/<you>/Library/Application Support/DinsCurse/User/
Use a text editor that does not use formatting (like notepad) to edit the file.
2. Type the parameters and the new values in the console. This is the easiest way, because settings are auto saved.
Open the console by pressing the tilde (~) key, which can be done from anywhere in the game. So yes, you can change settings on the fly and see the effect immediately.
Enter your changes as follows: <variable> <value>, press enter. Names and values will follow.
Caps or no Caps makes no difference.

The actual parameters that affect the camera (and the ones you can play around with):

For the non-perspective view (with the explanation behind it):
zoomMax (the maximum allowed zoom factor, can be increased to allow more viewable area in-game)
zoomMin (the minimum allowed zoom factor)

For the perspective view:
r_viewFarDist (the maximum allowed zoom factor, can be increased to allow more viewable area in-game)
r_viewFarZ (camera angle when zoomed out)
r_viewCloseDist (the minimum allowed zoom factor)
r_viewCloseZ (camera angle when zoomed in)
r_fov (the field of view; think of it as the lens you're looking through, and this parameter changes the lens settings)

Notes:
- When changing the zoom settings (the r_viewFarDist and r_viewCloseDist parameters) you're actually allowing a different movement range for the "lens", in terms of distance. The r_viewFarZ and r_viewCloseZ parameters change the angle of the line that the lens "slides" over.
- Changing r_fov essentially changes the lens setting; like zooming in/out with a camera while you yourself are stationary. So zooming out very far (by changing r_fov to a high value) will add distortion to the view. Please note: I've found that the default r_fov value (60) is actually very good. Hardly any distortion and a decent lens setting. So when playing with the zoom factor it's best to use the other parameters and leave r_fov alone, unless you want to have some fun with it and see what it does.
- When changing the camera angle values (r_viewFarZ and r_viewCloseZ), lower values mean more horizon. So setting the r_viewCloseZ parameter to something like 0.2 means you'll see far into the distance, with an almost horizontal view, and your character in the foreground (when zoomed in). Cool to show off the engine, character stuff, and monsters. And the game is actually playable in this view, though it isn't very practical.

The default values (handy for if you want to revert your settings after trying stuff out) are:

zoomMax 1.2
zoomMin 0.4

r_viewCloseDist 400.0
r_viewCloseZ 0.7
r_viewFarDist 700.0
r_viewFarZ 1.4
r_fov 60.0

Example:

Change the field of view to increase the viewing area (this tweaks the lens setting, not the lens movement range!):
Pause the game. Open the console (type ~) when in the game. A nice place to do this is when in a town or dungeon so you can see the effect. Now type this to change the field of view parameter: "r_fov 70" (without the quotes) and press enter. You will notice the change.

Tips:

Don't overdo changes. Some very high values lead to weird things, so take it easy with the changes.
Most people like a little more zoom-out, so start with that. Use this to increase the viewable area a bit:
For non-perspective: zoommax 1.6
For perspective: r_viewFarDist 900.0

Want a linear zoom (like in sacred, or non-perspective mode) ? Use these values:
r_viewCloseZ 1.4
r_viewFarZ 1.4
Leave the rest at default. If you want the camera to be a little higher, increase both values to something like 1.7.

Want the camera to be more like the Titan Quest zoom view (my current favorite viewpoint) ? Use these values:
r_viewCloseZ 0.8
r_viewFarDist 900
r_viewFarZ 1.7
Leave the rest at default.

Finally, a very cool related parameter:
miniMapZoom
This changes the amount of minimap you can see in that circle on the top-right of the screen. I've doubled my view area by setting it to 16, which is a very nice change. Type "minimapzoom 16" (without the quotes) in the console to see what I mean. You'll need to move your character a bit to force the minimap to update and show its new view. For reference: the default value is 8.
Note: changing this doesn't change the map circle's size, it simply makes the map zoom out a bit to show you more of it in the same viewing area.

I hope this enhances your game-play as it has mine.

wasp3
11-07-2011, 08:36 AM
great thanks, just simple question, how to change the distance in which objects are displayed on the minimap ? it is possible ?

ebarstad
11-07-2011, 02:26 PM
great thanks, just simple question, how to change the distance in which objects are displayed on the minimap ? it is possible ?

I'd like to know this, too, if it's possible. Thanks for posting these tweaks.

Shadow
11-07-2011, 04:53 PM

Changing EntitySendDistX and EntitySendDistY might be what you want (both in systems.gdb). Note: making those larger might slow down the game especially in multiplayer.

ebarstad
11-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Are these same camera tweaks possible in Depths of Peril?

EDIT: Yes they are. Awesome!

wasp3
11-08-2011, 03:35 AM
Thx for the reply, This help a lot to me!

wasp3
11-08-2011, 05:01 AM
Changing EntitySendDistX and EntitySendDistY might be what you want (both in systems.gdb). Note: making those larger might slow down the game especially in multiplayer.

does not work underground :(