PDA

View Full Version : Saving pets

Bluddy
04-26-2011, 09:43 AM
This has been mentioned before, but I'd like to bring it up again.

Not saving pets means that as a pet class, you're afraid to quit because you'll immediately lose your pets when you come back. It means that people who play in short bursts have a strong incentive not to choose a pet class.

The game is really really close to being able to save pets, or so it seems. I activated saving in skills.gdb and the pet is still around after loading. It keeps its allegiance because of the status effect which is also saved. The only thing that isn't saved is the icon on the left side of the screen showing the pet's health and any status effects the pet has.

Would it be possible to make the pets truly saveable?

Shadow
04-26-2011, 10:12 AM
If I remember correctly it would be a little tricky to save them because there isn't a really good way to save the link between the player and the pet.

Bluddy
04-26-2011, 10:14 AM
So when I load the game after removing 'MonsterNoSave' from skills.gdb, the critter is friendly ie. in my faction but not specifically my pet?

Shadow
04-26-2011, 11:27 AM
So when I load the game after removing 'MonsterNoSave' from skills.gdb, the critter is friendly ie. in my faction but not specifically my pet?

Yeah, pretty much.

Evander
04-26-2011, 04:25 PM
force them to follow player?

Bluddy
04-27-2011, 02:37 AM
Well, you probably want to focus on the new game now, but is there anything you can think of to save the poor pets? Since I don't know how the code is written it's hard for me to make suggestions, but maybe you could add an 'owner' field to each critter and then restore it upon loading?

Shadow
04-27-2011, 09:26 AM
I'll see what I can do. The real issue is the owner is going to be a player and the player may or may not be in the game. Multiplayer complicates things. :)