PDA

View Full Version : Random loading hang

venomoverlord
04-26-2011, 11:35 PM
Just after character creation when the game loads the town, sometimes it does not load, it stays on the loading screen. The game isn't unresponsive per se, but it does not go past the loading screen either.

Easy work around of course is simply to restart the game. This has happened to me about 1 in 4/5 character creations so far. Unable to verify if that's the exact pattern or simply just what has happened to me so far.

SamF7
04-27-2011, 04:29 AM
Yup, it's happening to me too. It NEVER happens on my first char, but generally on the 2nd, maybe third char created in a session (hey, I'm playing hardcore here!), it simply hangs loading in the first city.

It happened tonight to me in multiplayer, too!

If I can find the EXACT sequence to replicate it I'll let you know, but it might be easy enough to do just quickly creating hardcore chars and then letting them die.

Awesome, awesome game, by the way. Talked a friend into buying DC and the expansion tonight and we played for hours.

SamF7

Shadow
04-27-2011, 09:23 AM
This is one of those I have heard about before but have never been able to reproduce. If you can find something reproducible that would be awesome.

SamF7
04-27-2011, 07:16 PM
I'll see what I can do.

It's SOMETHING along the lines of
- Create a character, Hardcore
- Get killed
- Create another hardcore char
- Enter game - it freezes. (sometimes, and there's the rub).

Apparently it's a soft hang. Task Manager still lists the game as running normally.

I'll see if I can find a sequence that locks up reliably.

SamF7

SamF7
04-28-2011, 01:03 AM
Got It!

I think it's the specific selection of "Advanced Options" I choose.
- Hardcore
- Honorable Death
- Semi-Hardcore
- Poverty
- Only Hope
- Hunger

1) New Char, select these options, Random Hybrid.
2) Die
3) It says to create new world, which happens, but your dead
4) No real option but to escape out and Save and Exit
5) Roll a new char, same options
6) Start Game
7) Lockup

I'm willing to be dollars to donuts that "harcore" and "semi-harcore" don't mix well. I repeated this three times with consistent lockups. When I JUST selected Hardcore I had no problems.

SamF7

alstein
04-28-2011, 07:16 AM
This is one of those I have heard about before but have never been able to reproduce. If you can find something reproducible that would be awesome.

I've rarely been able to replicate this by genning up a character hybrid then switching frequently and many, many times over a long period.

Haven't had this in weeks, but I've been playing less.

Shadow
04-28-2011, 09:50 AM
SamF7: I'll try to reproduce your lockup.

timeh
04-30-2011, 12:40 PM
this used to happen to me every 5-7 towns, going all the way back to the first beta version

i rarely play for long enough in one sitting to get thru that many towns in a single session so i couldn't say for sure if it's still happening for me