PDA

View Full Version : Hints

Shadow
04-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Instead of adding direct hints about the next game in the latest tweets thread, I'm going to put them here. I still might have accidentally hints in that thread though. :)

New game hint: you will probably be human, although there are other races.

Delilah Rehm
04-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Terrible hint. That could be anything! :p

Maledictus
04-28-2011, 06:25 PM
So definitely something with cars then.

Castruccio
04-28-2011, 06:25 PM
That hint amounts to the following statement: "You will be a certain kind of being among the possible kinds of beings that exist in the world."

Pretty specific!

Shadow
04-28-2011, 06:40 PM
That hint amounts to the following statement: "You will be a certain kind of being among the possible kinds of beings that exist in the world."

Pretty specific!

Yeah, I'm going to have to be pretty vague to make them actual hints as opposed to just flat out stating what the game is. :)

Delilah Rehm
04-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Hint: It's a game. :p

Bluddy
04-29-2011, 03:45 AM
Well, you've stated several times that you wanted to make a team-based RPG, so I'll go ahead and guess that that's what it is. However, since it'll be hard for Soldak to develop a full scripted RPG like Baldur's Gate, it'll have to involve a lot of procedural random stuff. And there's no reason to ditch the awesome quest system from DoP and DC, which is really the heart of those games. So I'm guessing that it really will be something like DoP, except team-based and with more storyline. Maybe it'll be turn-based too, but that'll be hard to switch to from the current system, so it's more likely to be pausable realtime.

I'll go even further out on a limb and guess the plot could be something like a team of humans trying to survive during the war and get back to their town, or to defeat the great baddie by bringing artifact X to Y.

Shadow
04-29-2011, 10:17 AM
New game hint: the setting is pretty dark.

Delilah Rehm
04-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Especially is you don't turn on your monitor. ;)

Brian Rubin
04-29-2011, 10:30 AM
New game hint: you will probably be human, although there are other races. - Aliens!
New game hint: the setting is pretty dark. - Outer Space

It's a new sci-fi 4 space game!? or an out space RPG?! or a space sim?!?!?!

Any of those and I would have your baby.

Aganazer
04-29-2011, 11:02 AM
The Trials and Tribulations of being a Human in the Pretty Dark.

Can the next hint be in Mad Lib format?

I am betting on a dark urban fantasy setting due to some of the books Steven has been reading.

Bluddy
04-29-2011, 11:24 AM
You know, 'human' and 'pretty dark' would fit another DC expansion :)

I don't think space is a possibility because Steven used the word 'races'. Normally in the space genre you'd say there are other species. Race is generally reserved for fantasy.

A steam-punk Thief style atmosphere would be dark. And awesome!

Brian Rubin
04-29-2011, 12:39 PM
I don't think space is a possibility because Steven used the word 'races'. Normally in the space genre you'd say there are other species. Race is generally reserved for fantasy.
DON'T CRUSH MY DREAMS YOU BASTARD!

...er...I mean yes, you may be right...

Shadow
04-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Next game hint - I'm pretty sure it will have a very dynamic environment (quests, ai, events, etc).

Delilah Rehm
04-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Any of those and I would have your baby.

Calm down, man. Only one person will be having his babies... Me! :D Although, I appreciate the envy. ;)

Brian Rubin
04-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Calm down, man. Only one person will be having his babies... Me! :D Although, I appreciate the envy. ;)
Yessim!

Next game hint - I'm pretty sure it will have a very dynamic environment (quests, ai, events, etc).
Your CURRENT game has this. It's not a hint at all! *shakes fist*

udm
04-29-2011, 02:40 PM
:( :(

Shadow
04-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Your CURRENT game has this. It's not a hint at all! *shakes fist*

That's been true of a lot of the hints so far.

Brian Rubin
04-29-2011, 02:49 PM
That's been true of a lot of the hints so far.
This is true...but...oh...DAMN YOU AND YOUR LOGIC. *grumbles*

Shadow
04-29-2011, 03:49 PM
New game hint: probably more effects than last game (from weapons, skills, explosions, etc.).

Manumitted
04-29-2011, 04:00 PM
New game hint: you will probably be human, although there are other races.

Well, we now know it's not a Match-3 or hidden object game. Disaster averted.

The bit about splitting the codebase suggests that, like most successful indie series, the next title won't be a wholesale departure from the last one. Otherwise, it wouldn't be possible to reuse large parts of the existing code.

Especially given some of the more recent hints, I think we can count on 3d graphics and primarily/exclusively realtime action in an RPGish game.

DeathKnight1728
04-29-2011, 05:43 PM
Im actually much more glad we are doing hints than actually finding out. The more hints we get, the less time we have to wait while we know about what the game is :)

Shadow
04-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Last new game hint for today: will probably play as a mercenary.

Tar Palantir
04-30-2011, 04:59 AM
Hints are fun!

they just let your imagination run wild, and imo looking forward to something is very nice :-)

Roswitha
04-30-2011, 12:13 PM
New game hint: the setting is pretty dark.

I wonder if the setting is the aftermath of a war.

timeh
04-30-2011, 12:31 PM
mercs, explosions, dynamic world, dark setting, multiple races...

wah it could be anything :confused:

Manumitted
04-30-2011, 02:56 PM
I think it'd be great to have a dark-themed game where I'm a mercenary in a Neuromancer / Shadowrun kind of sci-fi, urban, cyberpunk, multiracial world. Just to hit all the buzzwords at once...

Neuromancer on the PC and Shadowrun on Sega Genesis were two mighty fun games back in the day, a day Shadow's the right age to remember.

I hope it's not just an informal sequel to Cybermercs, a mediocre Diablo-in-space title from 1999.

Bluddy
04-30-2011, 03:03 PM
OK so far it sounds like the game's taking all the mechanics of the current games and enhancing them. If you're a merc, it means you're very likely to have something like a covenant as well. More explosions seems to mean more possibilities for dynamic interactions and emergent gameplay.

The open questions on my mind are these:
1. Will the world be the same one as in previous games?
2. Will the mechanics change or be the same? ie. will we have a one-person ARPG or will that change in some way (for example controlling a team?)
3. We had open spaces in DoP and dungeons in DC. Where will this new game take place?

Even though 'pretty dark' could seem to hint at dungeons, I have a hard time believing that Shadow would do dungeons again so soon, so I'm with Roswitha in thinking that 'pretty dark' is talking about a war or the aftermath of a war. But then again, DoP and DC took place after wars too.

I think open spaces or at least a mix is most likely. One of the chief complaints about DoP was that the open areas were all square, so perhaps Shadow would like to improve that now with the procedural dungeon-designing methods from DC.

ebarstad
04-30-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm thinking sci-fi setting. Depths of Peril in space? Yes, please.

Maledictus
04-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Last new game hint for today: will probably play as a mercenary.

Combined with other hints this could point to Evochron and Eve as inspiration sources.

When "races" was first mentioned (first hint) I thought of cars, but it seems the hints aren't that ... contextually weird.

Bluddy
05-01-2011, 03:13 AM
Combined with other hints this could point to Evochron and Eve as inspiration sources.

Ooh interesting. I wonder if it could be a fighting/trading game that takes place in the same medieval fantasy setting as DC and DoP. You'd take on quests from different sources, trade in commodities, become a pirate if you want etc. I don't think that's ever been done in a fantasy setting -- especially not with an ARPG base. Combine that with dynamic quests... Could be awesome.

Roswitha
05-02-2011, 12:34 AM
I'm wondering if the new game could be something like this.

The war with the Orcs and undead has just ended. The world is in shambles. All sorts of minor bandits and monsters have taken over their area of the world, or the towns in their area; in the course of things they've acquired quite a bit of loot.

You want to go and collect some of that loot. You are a soldier from the war so you have some of the needed skills. As you wander around, you find other (randomly generated) people who could possibly band together with you.

Most of the game is overland, but there are some caves and dungeons where the bad guys are living. These and the towns could all be randomly generated. You're taking your country back from the monsters and bandits, but that's pretty secondary compared to getting that loot.

I have no idea if this is what Shadow has in mind, but it would certainly be fun to play. :)

Aganazer
05-02-2011, 10:57 AM
I am still running with the "Some thing like DoP 2 with random towns" comment. You're a human mercenary that can join/help many different racial factions. I still think its going to be a dark urban fantasy setting.

The mercenary hint says to me that you will be joining a faction rather than leading a faction.

Shadow
05-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Next game hint: lots of open spaces.

Aganazer
05-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Depths of the Ur Quan

Bluddy
05-02-2011, 03:55 PM
I am still running with the "Some thing like DoP 2 with random towns" comment. You're a human mercenary that can join/help many different racial factions. I still think its going to be a dark urban fantasy setting.

The mercenary hint says to me that you will be joining a faction rather than leading a faction.

I'm guessing that it'll be during an actual war. Steven said that it's dark. Now both DoP and DC have taken place in the aftermath of a war, so the only thing darker would be in the midst of a war. Unless of course darkness refers to something else.

I'm also guessing that the setting won't be very different from DC and DoP (the world, that is). Soldak still remembers being bitten by trying something very different in Kivi, so I think they'll try to stay close to their roots while varying the formula somewhat (perhaps with team-based gameplay of some sort).

Delilah Rehm
05-02-2011, 04:37 PM
You guys aren't thinking 'open' enough. :D

Maledictus
05-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Next game hint: lots of open spaces.
A hex/grid turn-based game? Battlechess with Lumen and Wampirs?

One would possibly expect the artwork and assets of earlier games to be re-used (somewhat); this has been done before. Makes sense, starting from scratch is a huge undertaking. Considering that, the new game may be close(r) to current Soldak games, in design and/or setting.

I suppose it would also be cool to guess the games that Shadow played recently (as mentioned in another post; to get inspiration). I'd list the following as potential sources of inspiration, based on the hints (partial list!):
Eve, Evochron, Minecraft, Guardians of Graxia, JRPG hub-based single player game (like Monster hunter or Phantasy Star).
Edit: The mention of star control above also seems ... on target. I'll add the 4x4 space strategy stuff from Stardock.

I'm still not clear on what 'space' has to do with it all, exactly... It seems quite a leap to go from the current lib of games to something in space. Still, something like Harbinger done well would be cool.

Shadow
05-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Next game hint: will include a mode of transport other than on foot.

Delilah Rehm
05-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Some of you are close... Some... A few...

Aganazer
05-02-2011, 05:31 PM
It must be spaceships. Dark open spaces.

Instead of towns, it has planets. Each planet has different effects, properties, races, etc.

Do we get to fly the spaceships?

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/screenshots/melee1.png

Bluddy
05-02-2011, 05:52 PM
You're right -- the hints do seem to be pointing at a space game. Assuming it's an ARPG, you'd be carrying out missions for different corporations while traveling through the galaxy. You'd land on a space ship that's infested with aliens and clean it out, then proceed to a planet for some R&R. Instead of magic you'd have tech.

Lots of pitfalls, but it could be very cool indeed.

The other option would be being able to travel over an 'open' landscape by dragon or steam-punk plane or something. But that's appearing less and less likely.

Warfran
05-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Someone over at the Quarter To Three Forums mentioned it would be Soldak's version of X-Com...now that would just be the greatest gaming thing ever I guess :D

Shadow
05-03-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm running out of hints for our next game, how about some potential unit names: Behemoth, Enforcer, Guardian, Talon, and Valkyrie.

Castruccio
05-03-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm running out of hints for our next game, how about some potential unit names: Behemoth, Enforcer, Guardian, Talon, and Valkyrie.

Ship names indeed.

Bluddy
05-03-2011, 05:57 PM

Definitely sounds like ships. But unit names? RTS? Or maybe an ARPG that can also take place in space ship form? ie. instead of being a player, you're a ship and all the enemies in the 'dungeon' are ships too. Attacks would then be lasers, torpedoes and such.

Roswitha
05-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Next game hint: will include a mode of transport other than on foot.

Sounds like you can get on and off the ship. Otherwise it isn't just a mode of transport.

Bluddy
05-04-2011, 12:53 AM
Sounds like you can get on and off the ship. Otherwise it isn't just a mode of transport.

But there could be 2 modes: fighting on foot and fighting as a ship.

Castruccio
05-04-2011, 12:58 AM
What if the game is a 4X/ARPG hybrid, such that there is turn-based ship combat (in space) and real time ARPG combat (on planet surfaces). That'd be incredible.

Bluddy
05-04-2011, 01:49 AM
What if the game is a 4X/ARPG hybrid, such that there is turn-based ship combat (in space) and real time ARPG combat (on planet surfaces). That'd be incredible.

Though it sounds great, I'd personally be wary of that. 4X games rise and fall based on their AI, and usually they fall. It's just really really hard to write good AI for these games. People always find AI exploits and eventually the games become trivial. The trick is writing AI good enough that the average person doesn't figure out the exploits. The dedicated gamers always do though.

Aganazer
05-04-2011, 10:29 AM
I would very much like to be exploring the depths of space, find a derelict ship, board it, and be surprised by what I find inside. Its a classic sci-fi scenario that has been tried by many games, but I think Steven could do it better with all the awesome random conditions and events that he makes.

Delilah Rehm
05-04-2011, 11:33 AM
He's going to tell you guys TODAY! :)

Aganazer
05-04-2011, 11:55 AM

Woohoo! Have you told Steven yet that he is going to tell us today? :D

Warfran
05-04-2011, 11:57 AM

Great to hear, then I can start to spread the news from forum to forum like I have done with Din's Curse :)

Shadow
05-04-2011, 01:44 PM
I wrote up a really big hint on my blog (http://www.soldak.com/Blogs/Steven/Next-game-intial-thoughts.html). :)

jessicaparker54
07-20-2011, 09:30 PM
That's not a hint!! LOLz