PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request and Issues

Pages : [1] 2

rainbow
09-19-2018, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the great game. :)

Would you please add a class that allows me to summon elemental monsters? Would you please add a spell that allows me to heal after attacking monsters?

These requests come from Din's additional mod by Magitek.

Would it be possible for you to implement some of the spells that were in Din's Additional Mod by Magiteck? Will it be possible to mod Din's Legacy or at least change the classes?

When I tried a new game, there were tons on monsters at the start up. (I did pick the option to add more monsters). Can this be fixed so that tons of Monsters don't show up when I first start a game?

Thank you.

Destro*
09-19-2018, 09:10 PM
On that note, I'm curious, what kind of issues should we report Shadow? I mean, there are still relic merchants showing up when it seems that relics have been completely removed. So, I'm not sure if that is something that you are aware of and planning to fix, or if it is worthy of reporting.

There are a lot of issues with stuff spawning in walls and/or inaccessible areas, so they fall in this gray area too.

I only ask because I don't want to flood with a ton of bug reports for minor things.

Shadow
09-19-2018, 09:54 PM
There is a summoner specialty that is locked at the beginning.

What do you mean by heal after attacking monsters? Like a life leech?

I probably will add some more skills here and there.

Din's Legacy is just as moddable as our previous games.

The first patch made less monsters in the initial town (at least until the world is level 5 or above).

I'm going to get my todo list back up to date soon so you will be able to see what is on my list - the current version is at https://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37494

In general, I would rather over reporting rather than under reporting.

rainbow
09-19-2018, 10:37 PM
Yes. Something like life leech.

Thanks a bunch.

Destro*
09-19-2018, 11:16 PM
Okidoke. I'll compile as I go. But, I do want to share some of the bigger bugs I found along with my first impressions.

Bug 1: Some areas will reward the 'explored' experience bonus multiple times. I'm not sure what the trigger is for this, but I know that leaving an area for a while and returning is what was necessary to get the experience bonus to be awarded again. Probably worth looking into since I was getting like 3k+ experience an area for some of the special areas of my world.

Bug 2: Sometimes when creating a new area I get put into a completely black map where I can't move. This has happened many times, so it's fairly repeatable. I know that I had the 'Chaos' encounter for the second time it happened, so might be worth checking.

Bug 3: This has happened twice. But, basically, my character save will duplicate as a new record with no name associated with it. If I do go play that duplicated save, my name gets set. And, if I save, it will update the original save game record that has a name associated with it while ignoring the record with no associated name. A really strange bug for sure that I have no idea how you'd fix. But, there you have it!

Bug 4: If you accept somebody in you party and they get infected and then you leave the area, then the notification that they are infected will remain on your screen even in the next area. Yet, there is no way to interact with that person.

Bug 5 (maybe): It doesn't seem like the classes to the left, right and below of Necromancer (aside from Minstral) are unlockable? If they have special conditions that are different from the other mutations, then please ignore this. (no spoilers) But, I did a crapton of mutations by power-leveling new blight necromancers and didn't unlock them. And, I didn't see anything on the steam forums about this, so I wanted to make a mention here.

Bug 6 (maybe): Combos seem to not generate properly for all abilities. I mean, one time on my char I was rolling with a 200% multi and could keep it up consistently by alternating skills. When it's at 0%, though, I can't seem to generate even 1%. Does it not show up unless you get over a certain percent? I'm not sure.

Feedback time! :D

Feedback 1: Rewards need added to winning encounters! I'm guessing that chests/material rewards haven't been implemented yet.

Feedback 2: Town NPCs should get a defensive buff. As your level goes up, I noticed that they are just way too squishy for you to beat the 'let no npcs die' encounter, unless overleveled....

Feedback 3: I know many people had problems with too many quests in the past, but now I feel that there are too few now. You get like 1-3 an area. It would be nice to get 3-5, as leveling feels extremely slow without quests, even on very fast pace.

Feedback 4: Petition to get health/mana values listed above globes. (Sorry if I missed the option but I didn't see it.)

Feedback 5: I'd really like a convenient way to delete all of my worlds in-game without going through each one one by one. (Currently, going to windows explorer is about the only way to do it efficiently).

Feedback 6: At first, I really disliked the slopes onmaps. But, after seeing that they actually change movement speed, I came to love the extra tactics that they bring to the game. Still, I feel that are overused and overdone. Every area has crazy slopes and it would be nice to have some areas with not so crazy slopes. A bit more diversity in this regard would be very welcome!

That's the realistic change. In terms of 'dream-like' changes to terrain, I have two. First, I'd really love to see actual cliffs and cliff faces. With the huge increase in monster density in Din's Legacy, corners have become more important than ever. So, the corner of a L-shaped cliff edge would be a very welcomed strategic point. And, the same can be said for sporadic cliff walls to hide against.

The other thing I'd really like to see are more large projectile obstructing objects. Again, the monster density is really high in Din's Legacy, so positioning to block projectiles is very important. Large trees, massive boulders, ruined walls, etc. could all be very helpful for helping to block projectiles.

Feedback 7: Ambushes should be toned down. Again, mob density is higher, so chained ambushes are happening more frequently. I personally like the free experience. But, I don't think the mechanic is balanced for difficulty/exp for the average player.

To give a bit of an idea of where my pacing suggestions are coming from, I played for like 4 hours nonstop today and only reached level 11 on my hardcore character. I know that I have a lot to learn and am working on the most efficient strategies. But, I can't help but feel that this is a tad bit slow. And, imho, my clear speed on my character is not even that bad ^^ (poison arrow doing 25-33 damage a second (depending on the level I leave it at)).

Compliment Section:

I'm really loving many of the approaches taken toward diversifying each play through. And, the game has a lot of added incentives to explore areas and not log out/switch areas. The torches are really interesting imho. And, I hope that more scrolls get added in the future. I love that clutter was added pretty much everywhere and some finds (like the treasure hunting potion) surprised me quite a bit! Haha. Combos are neat and, yeah, just lots of goodies in this game. Can't wait for it to be a bit more polished!

Shadow
09-20-2018, 12:26 PM
Bug 6 (maybe): Combos seem to not generate properly for all abilities. I mean, one time on my char I was rolling with a 200% multi and could keep it up consistently by alternating skills. When it's at 0%, though, I can't seem to generate even 1%. Does it not show up unless you get over a certain percent? I'm not sure.

Which skills are you having problems with?

jeeplaw
09-20-2018, 12:59 PM
Shadow,
I'm seeing some weird stuff with HP bars not reflecting hits/attacks as a successful attack is made..it's as if the computation is catching up or lagging during the fight and not being reflected in the on screen hp bar for the mob.

Also, can you increase the search speed a little bit more than it is now when we're searching objects? It seems really, really slow..maybe by design?

Destro*
09-20-2018, 08:31 PM
Which skills are you having problems with?

Blight and Bolt and Gloom.

Though, I do think it is literally everything as I can't get combos to start with any character.

Edit:

New Bug 1: Frost Rylor, Scree and various other monsters have a melee attack range that hits farther than their attack animation.
Bug 2: Not sure if intentional, but quest monster was a rank 6 with very many mods more than rank 6 should normally have. Ruined a brand new HC char, :*(. Here is an album of pics: https://imgur.com/a/U862sWu
Bug 3: Boss monster spawned in unreachable area.
I also have the dark world bug picture there for you too. Going to try to take more screenshots going forward.

Shadow
09-20-2018, 09:22 PM
Bug 2: Not sure if intentional, but quest monster was a rank 6 with very many mods more than rank 6 should normally have. Ruined a brand new HC char, :*(. Here is an album of pics: https://imgur.com/a/U862sWu
Bug 3: Boss monster spawned in unreachable area.
I also have the dark world bug picture there for you too. Going to try to take more screenshots going forward.

#2 is intentional. Unique monsters that have prefix have a very specific number of enhancements based on their rank, but are random. Unique monsters with just a straight name are truly unique and have a set list of enhancements.

Can you send me the character/world save of #3?

Destro*
09-20-2018, 10:10 PM
Gotcha on #2! Didn't know that. Very cool.

Here is the zip for #3: http://www.mediafire.com/file/n87vtmqe8yw37mm/World_Saves.zip/file

Notes: My character 'God' had the black screen bug with the 'Chaos' world modifier, and I'm not sure if that is the same character used in the screenshot. As for the world, I really don't know which world it was, but I haven't deleted any worlds since I started playing, so I've simply zipped up all of my worlds. I speculate that the 1 KB file size world files may be of interest due to their small size and since I have exactly 2, which is the same amount of times I had the bug happen. In any case, if I can repeat the bug, I'll upload the character/world at that exact time. And, if you have any problems with mediafire or need a different file host, just let me know.

jeeplaw
09-20-2018, 10:58 PM
Are we supposed to have clans like in Zombasite? Same dynamics as before?

Shadow
09-20-2018, 11:42 PM
Are we supposed to have clans like in Zombasite? Same dynamics as before?

You never have a clan, but some scenarios do have other clans though.

jeeplaw
09-21-2018, 12:19 AM
Ahh..going to miss the clan dynamic..liked having parties out doing stuff.

Just came across a beastmaster npc who sells guards..is that element in the game still? I ask because I don't have a pedastels in my town to place the guards into.

Shadow
09-21-2018, 09:55 AM
Just came across a beastmaster npc who sells guards..is that element in the game still? I ask because I don't have a pedastels in my town to place the guards into.

I'm still deciding what to do with guards (if anything).

Mithur
09-21-2018, 02:19 PM
As i recall beastmasters in Din's Curse sell monsters as pets,to be used as ally in adventures(can be active only one at time).

Shadow
09-21-2018, 04:23 PM
As i recall beastmasters in Din's Curse sell monsters as pets,to be used as ally in adventures(can be active only one at time).

That's one possibility.

treborx555
09-21-2018, 05:49 PM
an immortal pet would be nice, mostly cus i like gearing up characters a lot and 1 more character to gear up is twice the fun xD

they could be on cooldown for balance reasons.

Destro*
09-21-2018, 07:47 PM
@treborx555, would be cool but likely overpowered if you can gear it up and it gets effected by minion bonuses. CDs can be bypassed by relogging too, so that wouldn't help to balance out it.

Feature Request: Darkness debuff should give escape notice bonus.
Feature Request 2: I love that worlds have different rarities, lol. Do it to chests too! Give everything rarity. :D

Mithur
09-21-2018, 08:35 PM
an immortal pet would be nice, mostly cus i like gearing up characters a lot and 1 more character to gear up is twice the fun xD

they could be on cooldown for balance reasons.

In Din's Curse minions pet from beastmaster not immortal,it will be with you until its die in battle or been unsummond by activating new monster pet(monster pets is one time use item),and you can't change its gear.

Destro*
09-21-2018, 09:42 PM
Another bug report. For the 'no name' assigned to character save, I managed to go to my 'chars' folder and I have one generated for ya. A summoner char level 9 with no name for my character 'Summoner'. Here you go:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/aa2ttv9f7407zd6/Summoner.zip/file

Edit: Bug, npcs just don't spawn in towns ever now. Insta-fails all quests that require npcs to survive.

jeeplaw
09-22-2018, 10:13 AM
Also, is it possible to have the "hide loot" until all the monsters are vanquished in the immediate vicinity optioned in the UI? Right now, it's disconcerting at times to have all the loot pop in and out if a new mob comes into the kill area.

Destro*
09-22-2018, 10:42 PM
More stuffs:

Bugs:
- Entering the mutation screen (on character page when hitting 'c'), causing the skill bar to dissappear. Workaround: reassign a skill to skill bar.
- Extra waypoint portal thing spawns in starter town.
- Losing a zone and leaving doesn't incur an exp penalty in HC.
- Default setting is to 'not show items' for some reason on my character when logging in? Should it not save the users last preference?
- Map reveal radius is too small. It doesn't even cover what you can see in the normal game view.
- Mega-map shows red dots for enemies, yet the minimap doesn't while inside of towns.
- Friendly undead-aura totems affect non-undead (ex: the player)
- Name in character screen stretches outside of the box once you get 3 subclasses.
- The in-game window cannot support very many skills of a single given skill level (like several level 3 skills). They begin to overlap which makes it impossible to level/unlevel them in the UI.
- Some rooms spawn bugged. Here is an image: https://i.imgur.com/dSCIiIu.jpg. I could not find the world save file for this area, sadly. But, this bug happened a couple of times during my level 100 run, so it should appear again eventually. When this bug happens, its possible to walk through walls on the map in many areas. Also, the corruption only partially effects an area.
- Summon chaos lord lets you summon infinite monsters that match the area they are spawned in.
- Teleport can mutate above max level to grant infinite teleports (I think? not sure how it works, but there ya go).

- Ice Sentries are overpowered, (glacier as usual).
- Would be nice to repair torches :/
- Exp granted from explored places should be proportional to area size. (Passes give a lot for time explored vs. the mega-areas giving very little)
- OLD: Please see my comments on drops and experience here: http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37938 // Drop quantity and rarity of items is far too low, imho. I recommend rechecking the balance.
- A true 'no-attack' left-mouse-button click, that doesn't require you to hold 'f' and lets you move and interact with stuff, but not attack.

Etto
09-23-2018, 12:19 AM
Also, is it possible to have the "hide loot" until all the monsters are vanquished in the immediate vicinity optioned in the UI? Right now, it's disconcerting at times to have all the loot pop in and out if a new mob comes into the kill area.

This is an option already, I believe it is "Hide loot in combat". You'll want to turn that off.

Professor Paul1290
09-23-2018, 11:24 AM
I'm definitely not a fan of the "Gladiator" scenario at all, or at least the current incarnation of it.
It seems to frequently have odd issues but on top of that it doesn't seem to fit the game very well.

rainbow
09-24-2018, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the fun game. I am enjoying it.

Feature Requests:
The Necromancer and Pyromancer (or the fire based spell class) cannot use Wands. This skill is missing for both. Would you please add it?

For the Beast Master, would you please add a reusable scroll so that a creature can be summoned at any time? The scroll, of course, will probably be more expensive.

Would you please leave the terrain changes in? It appears that some people don't like them, but I think it adds depth to the game.

Would you please add more NPC's that sell various things to the game? Would you please have them show up more often? If not already in the game, would you please add gamblers that sell various items?

Issues:
Sometimes, a skill cannot replace an attack icon the toolbar. It will put it next to it even if the skill icon is dragged over it.

treborx555
09-24-2018, 05:47 PM
I also want a more lively town, or 1 i can build myself.

I'm trying to make some kind of mod that adds vendors that are always there in town but can't seem to do it.

Shadow
09-24-2018, 05:59 PM
The Necromancer and Pyromancer (or the fire based spell class) cannot use Wands. This skill is missing for both. Would you please add it?

Sometimes, a skill cannot replace an attack icon the toolbar. It will put it next to it even if the skill icon is dragged over it.

Both of those specialties do have the wand skill, but each new character does have some randomness so some individual characters might not have it.

Which specific skill(s) are getting replaced automatically with the attack skill?

rainbow
09-24-2018, 07:47 PM
I'll need to check into this tonight or tomorrow night.

I just remembering dragging either the necromancer shadow bolt or the one next to it onto the attack icon and the gui moved the icon to slot 2 or 3 when I closed the skills screen. This may not be fully correct.

Another thing I noticed is that entering the Mutation Screen to change your class and then cancelling out of it clears the toolbar. This is sort of annoying when in the midst of a lot of enemies.

Thank you.

Destro*
09-25-2018, 11:07 PM
Not sure if a bug, but in the "Total War" scenario, your clan hearthstone can't be destroyed. Well, monsters that raid your clan won't destroy it anyway. Not sure what enemy clans would do if they actually raided.

Shadow
09-26-2018, 12:20 PM
Not sure if a bug, but in the "Total War" scenario, your clan hearthstone can't be destroyed. Well, monsters that raid your clan won't destroy it anyway. Not sure what enemy clans would do if they actually raided.

Yeah, your healthstone can't be destroyed in any scenario.

Destro*
09-26-2018, 05:29 PM
Alright, thanks, just wanted to make sure it was intentional.

Destro*
09-26-2018, 10:56 PM
New bug: I mutated and it took me from 3 skill points to -3 skill point?:

https://imgur.com/a/9nvVpk2

Char file: http://www.mediafire.com/file/fpk394dxnxlk2pp/Glad_Me.zip/file

edit: I believe it's the focus skills that are causing the issue. Every time you mutate, your skill points get recalculated. And, the game recalculates your other focus skills as having cost points. The linked skills are a bit buggy in this regard, as when you mutate to get more than one of them, they won't be linked.

And, another bug report: Most town npcs spawn at half hp (30/60).

edit: Suggestion: Would be nice if you started as allied to the clan you have to protect in 'Clan Protector' scenario.

rainbow
09-27-2018, 08:04 PM
The game defaults to having the attack icon on the toolbar with the number -1. I dragged the Necromancer's first AOE spell (forgot the name) on top of it. When I left the skill screen, it put the AOE spell in slot 2. I had to delete the attack icon from slot 1 by pressing the Delete Key to put the AOE spell in slot 2.

rainbow
09-27-2018, 08:05 PM
In addition to the Billboard, if not already added, would you please add random NPC's that give random Quests to the town? That would be fun.

Thank you.

Etto
09-27-2018, 10:56 PM
The game defaults to having the attack icon on the toolbar with the number -1. I dragged the Necromancer's first AOE spell (forgot the name) on top of it. When I left the skill screen, it put the AOE spell in slot 2. I had to delete the attack icon from slot 1 by pressing the Delete Key to put the AOE spell in slot 2.

Yeah, the only skills that I have been able to put into the number 1 slot are direct target spells and attacks. It seems AOE skills get overwritten by the basic attack every time.

Destro*
09-28-2018, 04:48 PM
New bug:

Diplomacy scenario can require you to ally a clan with itself, which is impossible: https://imgur.com/a/KK9BbVG

edit: Not sure if bug, but fearless and Bloodthirst don't have additional levels. (I can understand Bloodthirst, but fearless seems like it should have other levels)

edit 2: Bug, the brawl scenario sometimes doesn't spawn other clan leaders for you to fight. (A way point for a clan spawned in a wall out of reach, so could be related to spawning system.)

Feedback: Would be nice to have a 'no skip scenarios' mode as a difficulty option in the future, once all scenarios are confirmed beatable due to no bugs.

Feedback 2: Would be nice if reward chests dropped crafting materials. (even different types of chests would be cool)

Destro*
09-29-2018, 12:29 PM
Figure I'll make this a separate post to go over some of the things that are more new, updates or speculative.

Bugs:

First, the World War scenario causes far more lag than any other scenario. Please keep in mind I'm doing level 100 areas when I say this, as I don't recall it being a problem at lower level areas. However, it is extremely noticeable.

When going into level 200 areas, it almost feels like some scenarios are restricted? This is speculation of course... but I tried 100 new areas and couldn't get any of my 'top 4 areas' -> Adventure, total war, demigod, diplomancy.

The crash rate when going into new areas at level 200 is a lot higher than lower areas. No idea why.

At high level areas, you get scenarios where npcs don't spawn again, so you instantly lose 'protect the town' win conditions.

Reward chests don't always spawn when killing off clans in high level scenarios. There may be some conditions to this that I couldn't determine...

Passive bonuses on linked skills (like the focus skills) do not activate on skill usage. For example, if you get focus damage first and then focus armor later, if you then get a passive ability on focus armor later, it will say that the skill is not leveled.

Alll 'Only 1 can survive' scenario's generate a bugged tileset for the area.

And last, I don't have evidence for this one (because I wasn't in the mood), but I want to put down a record for historical purposes. When going into that one small outside map (kill all clan leaders scenario for example, with the orange desert theme), my entire character glitches out. This happens consistently. And, upon saving my character and going back out to the character menu, the name is gone like the 'no named character save' bug, but it even loses its three-mutation description tag too. Thankfully, I can go back in and make a new scenario and play him like normal. I don't have the evidence for this, so I suppose ignore this for now, but I wanted to put this message here as a record for the future.

Monster stun on hit is both overpowered and super annoying. A white skeleton hitting me for 30 damage of my 100,000 health being able to stun me for 2+ seconds is silly. I feel the best implementation of 'stun duration on hit' would be to make stun duration a ratio of damage done versus target health, with a minimum percentage of health loss required to even trigger a stun (3% health loss is significant enough). I acknowledge that defense can counter stun on hit.... but, I don't feel that players should have to counter absolutely pathetic amounts of damage.

This problem is further exacerbated by the fact that everything's attack range is far beyond its actual visual distance. This is to the extent that monsters can literally hit you through walls: https://imgur.com/a/w7fDOF8 (observe the styrac, who is attacking through the wall). Very annoying when fighting clans and it makes it so much easier for monsters to surround and stun-lock players.

There are naturally a ton of other balance comments that I'd love to make. But, I feel that those are definitely the most game impacting mechanics, since they literally affect every character from level 1 to level 100.

And, that's it from me! Good luck on the bug fixes and such until release. :D

rainbow
10-01-2018, 06:14 PM
Feature Requests:
Wands do a little more damage.
More Quest Types (cannot think of any yet)
Always have a least one vendor with a good amount of gold in town at the start of the game to sell stuff to.
The NPCS walk around areas that are on fire when in town.

Thank you.

jeeplaw
10-05-2018, 01:16 PM
Not sure if this has ever been requested before, but a quality of life feature which would be great is a button (remappable) that will use a potion of healing on your companion. Depending on the fight I'm in, it's sometimes a pain in the ass to open inventory and then drop a potion on my guy to heal him up.

Shadow
10-05-2018, 01:20 PM
Not sure if this has ever been requested before, but a quality of life feature which would be great is a button (remappable) that will use a potion of healing on your companion. Depending on the fight I'm in, it's sometimes a pain in the ass to open inventory and then drop a potion on my guy to heal him up.

This already exists. F1 will give your first companion a potion, F2 the 2nd, etc.

rainbow
10-05-2018, 05:39 PM
This idea came from the game - Torchlight 2.

Would you please add a mutation that allows the creatures summoned to steal hp for the Player? I already know there is a mutation that allows the creatures summoned to steal hp for themselves.

Thank you.

Destro*
10-07-2018, 12:04 AM
After a break from playing, I theorycrafted up another way to break the game. Here is how you recruit a level 100 NPC into your party at level 1, that you can use to dominate worlds with ease. :)

1.) Get a high-level character. (100 is obviously recommended, but you can use lower leveled NPCs if necessary.... (though they won't be nearly as good).
2.) Keep creating new areas until you find a town with some NPCs, like the Town Protector scenario.
3.) Invite an NPC to your party. (I recommend finding a summoner, unless you can buy a decent weapon for the NPC or it has really good skills on it that increase damage.)
4.) Dismiss it.
5.) Leave your area and go back to some low level zone. (Let's say you're level 5, so go to a level 24 zone (make sure you have hardiness leveled!)).
6.) Refresh zone until you get a clan filled scenario (total war, diplomacy, demigod recommended as you need a clan to raid AND for your NPC to actually spawn in town.)
7.) Find a clan.
8.) Go back to town and, once again, make sure your level 100 NPC is in the town.
9.) Raid the clan via the relationship menu and pick the NPC to join you.
10.) Don't actually enter your raid gate. Immediately end the raid using the gui item or through relationship menu.
11.) Select the level 100 NPC and you should now be able to 'invite to party'.

This exploit highlights that you can bring level 100 NPCs to low-level areas (all the way to level 1 in fact) AND that you can change the state of these loitering NPCs from 'normally uninvitable' to 'invitable'. Using it, you can fill your town with level 100 NPCs. And, with some creativity, it can be used during first-character play throughs to ease up the early-game leveling progression by using level 24 NPCs (because summoners are pretty good).

Edit: Also, there is a lot of speculation on this... but it seems that certain variables are tied to a players area history? Like, which mutations are unlocked? Because I tried to clear out my area history in my 'char' folder and it removed my mutation that were unlocked and also my 'champion'+ difficulty unlocked statuses. I think this is significant because there may be some correlation to fairly frequent crashes when doing 20+ in a row while having over 500 areas. (I abandon a LOT of areas). I was going to delete areas in game, but every delete takes like 20 seconds to complete. Not sure why... :> (though probably has to do with the 500+ areas)

Destro*
10-07-2018, 11:31 AM
Here is something crash related. Less than 10 minutes of game play to get a crash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdZEH1jy7_I&feature=youtu.be

(currently uploading, should be in < 30 mins)

edit: I want to report that I had a crash that actually blue screen of deathed my entire computer. Was my first one in over 5 years of owning this pc. When I came back, my mutation progress was reset along with my world progress, similarly to when I deleted my worlds folder in the past. Not sure what happened, but was quite severe.

rainbow
10-08-2018, 09:49 PM
A few quest suggestions if they have not been implemented:

Have NPCs come to town with Quest ReQuests :D
Guide a NPC somewhere while protecting him or her.
Fetch an object that a NPC wants somwhere in the world

From Din's Curse
Cure a diseased or a poisoned NPC or town
Build a object of some type for a NPC

Rather Generic
Have Quests that have several subquests

Set up a scenario where the town can be built up with different types of NPCs, such as vendor NPCs, craftsman NPC's, etc.

A complicated quest where you get a scroll that can summon a monster of some kind an infinite number of times (guess kind of silly since there are summoners)

Thank you.

Destro*
10-09-2018, 11:04 PM
This 'free mutation points' glitch is really weird... it managed to proc on a level 1 character, lol: https://imgur.com/a/tyAJLRf

I'm starting to think it is related to one of the crashes that I encounter at high level zones. Very interesting!

rainbow
10-10-2018, 05:26 PM
Would you please add elemental summons to the Fire, Ice, and Arcane Mage Classes?

The Fire Mage would summon a fire elemental.
The Ice Mage would summon an ice elemental.
The Arcane Mage would summon an arcane elemental.

Thank you.

Shadow
10-10-2018, 05:46 PM
The Fire Mage would summon a fire elemental.
The Ice Mage would summon an ice elemental.

Those 2 actually already have those skills. :)

rainbow
10-10-2018, 06:27 PM
Thanks a bunch.

Destro*
10-10-2018, 09:24 PM
Wow, I finally found proof that NPCs are spawning with wayyyyy higher levels than normal in the world:

https://imgur.com/a/wnDaAu9

The witch summoned a level 63 fire elemental. In a level 24 zone. 63!

That's clearly a bug. I knew the damage 'seemed' bugged... but now I have proof. Also, immolation doing 368 damage a second? Clearly rigged.

Surely this isn't intentional? I have a crazy hypothesis that NPCs are spawning with additional spell points due to some formula where they have power equal to half of the parties level. But, surely something like that wouldn't be intentional either, correct? I mean, the levels on these wizard-type creatures are all very normal (level 27 roughly), yet they are casting way overpowered spells.

I'd also like to note a bug that I have seen ONLY ONCE that may be contributing to this. I had an NPC in a higher-level world recruited into my clan with level 37 hardiness. When I went down into lower level worlds, I eventually lost him from my clan. However, a 'new' clan member joined with the exact same skills while being downleveled compared to the level 100 version (level 24~). He had hardiness 13. However, when he cast hardiness on me, he gave me a WHOPPING +500 vitality. Surely it was the cast that the level 100 version's vitality level was added to the level 24's versions spell level. So, I think that perhaps the level 27 NPCs are getting 'doubled stats' somehow when creating new areas, like in this case.

Lots of conjecture here, but I hope it helps you pin down this bug.

This could also have been related to the crash glitches from before, as I haven't made a new world since the patch yet, so it is also possible that this issue is fixed. However, I felt the need to report my findings ASAP since its gamebreaking and I hope others can share their thoughts if to help pin this issue down. I'm going to keep playing and see if it pops up again when I make new worlds.

edit: Didn't see issue after 3 hours of game time tonight, so that's promising.

Shadow
10-11-2018, 03:30 PM
The witch summoned a level 63 fire elemental. In a level 24 zone. 63!

Surely this isn't intentional?

No, it's not intentional.

Destro*
10-11-2018, 09:17 PM
No, it's not intentional.

Ok. I had the bug happen again and it seems the monster abilities are just... through the sky. I emailed my character 'God' and world 'Glasswall' to you. Based on the percentage reflected... Natalya cast a level 55 Fire Shield. Lawd have mercy.

edit: WTB Dispel:

https://imgur.com/a/ywu9pKc

All NPCs in the world seem to be bugged and I even got a random super buffed Champion spell cast on me from nowhere at my town, lol... had to abandon it. Was just too insane. As another note that might help, I went into a dungeon and each time I do that, it triggered a crapload of 'boulder falls' (likely earthquakes) that crashed my game 100% time. Might want to go check those dungeons out that I explored... the red themed one is the place.

edit 2: Even persisted into new areas.

jeeplaw
10-14-2018, 05:00 AM
What is everyone doing about a lack of health potions? I've done several run throughs of worlds with a lvl 22 character, and im not seeing any kind of "good" drop rate for health potions. Does it increase somehow in later stages?

Went to send out an expedition..but..doh! Forgot :)

edit: is there a file I can tweak (or make a mod) to increase the rate of potion drops?

Caal
10-14-2018, 06:40 PM
The health potion drop rate is moddable. I don't have Din's Legacy, but assuming the health potion code is the same as in Din's Curse and Zombasite, then you would mod the SpawnChance line in the BasePotionHealth section of potionsHealth.gdb. (in assets001.zip\Database\Items) Doubling the figure that is on the spawnChance line should double the drop rate of all health potions.

Destro*
10-15-2018, 06:58 AM
You can also refresh scenarios constantly and buy health pots off the vendors. It's a very valid tactic that I recommend. If you need gold, just refresh worlds until you have clans spawn and sell things to clans.

rainbow
11-12-2018, 09:37 PM
Would you please add a Sort Inventory Icon? If you add it, would you please sort the items in the main inventory box and then sort them into the secondary inventory boxes?

For one one of the worlds, one of the barrels was too low to the ground and could not be destroyed so that it could be opened.

Thank you.

Crisses
11-23-2018, 02:39 PM
Caved, got the Steam game, and apparently there's no character HUD....

Screenshot attached.

MacOS 10.13.6.

Yes, it's checked in the UI Options. I also checked them off, applied, turned on again, applied.... nope.

Shadow
11-23-2018, 02:43 PM
Caved, got the Steam game, and apparently there's no character HUD....

It's all on the bottom in Din's Legacy. Your health bar is the red gargoyle on the left, your mana bar is the blue gargoyle on the right, and the status effects will show up centered above the UI at the bottom.

Crisses
11-23-2018, 09:02 PM
Then the help screen needs to change. Because it still shows it should be on the upper left :)

Crisses
11-25-2018, 09:42 PM
One glitch is map gen for first town/world should never look like the attached lol looks like I'll be quitting that one and starting again.

Windowed mode messages don't wrap on the screen. Full-screen has issues too, just not quite as bad.

Something's up with the "dice rolls" to trigger events on items, because an item with like a 1% chance of summoning Avatars probably shouldn't summon 3 in a row during the same battle. Sounds like a bad salt or random generator? Other items with higher chances seem never to go off, this one went off 3 times in a row several times.

Are doubles, triples, quadruples of the same "Basic" skill intentional? Do they stack? They don't go up together, so hopefully they're cumulative.

My old eyes could use the colors (alpha?, brightness?) on the health meters to be adjusted. So hard to see.

Confusedus
11-25-2018, 11:34 PM
First I have general feedback about the snare from spiders. It is quite frustrating due to the length of the snare, no way to clear the snare for my character, and a lack of clear visual indicator when I've been hit with it.

I also hit quite the infuriating bug today where a dungeon with a long list of quests (including my victory condition) was listed as being in the wrong zone. It was on the other side of a small zone from the indicated zone. When selecting to view the quest area on the map it was barely within the area shown on the map.

Shadow
11-26-2018, 02:32 PM
Then the help screen needs to change. Because it still shows it should be on the upper left :)

Yeah, I haven't touched the help stuff at all so it is going to be wrong in a few places at least.

Are doubles, triples, quadruples of the same "Basic" skill intentional? Do they stack? They don't go up together, so hopefully they're cumulative.

They do stack.

Charles_Odinforce
11-28-2018, 12:09 AM
Ok so suggestions, I said a little bit under the game engine on textures and things of that nature, so I won't repeat that here. I hinted at some thoughts I had though for other types of things.

#1) Weapon types: Spears, these would be a great weapon with a better range than one handed, equipping a shield with them should be possible. This would be the middle ground between large two handed weapons and the smaller one handed. You'd be able/need to add a spear specialty to various character classes but it would open up a Spearman character set which would be focused on forward arc damage, single target melee, or evasion/blocking. In a sense this is somewhat cosmetic, but it shouldn't be hard to add in some spear models, and the animation should be pretty basic.

#2) This one is already there, you just haven't seen it in a sense. A pugilist/unarmed class or martial arts style class. Again it wouldn't be hard to come up with 3 variations (Brawler, Shaolin, Qi Mystic) With these classes gaining passives that make up for the lack of weapons. Maybe let them use a staff OR force them to use some kind of cestus. Character animations are already in so this would be very easy to add in. Another option would be a passive on each of these that gave some defensive and offensive bonus when no weapons were carrier, and used gloves defensive armor as a damage type.

Crisses
11-28-2018, 01:08 PM
Request: turning off summoning candles increases the time-to-ritual. Like add a minute per candle snuffed. I made it to the level with 3 minutes left on my clock and thought it would be very reasonable if they started their ritual and said "Wait! Someone's mucking with our candles!" and had to figure out which candle(s) to turn back on to re-start the ritual. lol

Won't imps run around snuffing the ritual candles? lol Ok, I don't really expect the monsters to help out with this one, but it would be funny.

Crisses
12-03-2018, 09:31 PM
If I hand my buddy a torch, it should affect the lighting. But it doesn't. Didn't Indiana hand a torch to his buddy? It worked in the movies....

And for something +30ish light it doesn't seem to do much anyway.....

Spiders die with a plop that's pretty loud compared to other critters.

rainbow
12-13-2018, 01:30 AM
If I'm not mistaken, it appears that Din's Legacy resets the internet connection.
Go to any website with a large download.
Start the download.
Run dins' legacy.
Check back in a few minutes and see if Din's Legacy has reset the internet connection.

Thank you.

Destro*
12-27-2018, 11:25 AM
I've always wondered, is it intentional that some monster affixes have very short timers and disappear on expiration?

https://clips.twitch.tv/ArbitraryProtectiveOcelotPipeHype

Vifarc
01-02-2019, 09:04 PM
Shadow, you should try 1Quest too.

I like it's a simple game, but very rich too. It has an excellent class&skill system.

You must take it at itchio for only there is the very last version 1.04.003 (despite what the page tells),
I don't think Steam have this version. https://ratzngodz.itch.io/1quest

I was at the base of this last patch:
" Patch notes
Version 1.04.003
. Adjustments
More complet tooltips for races and classes.
. Bug fixes
Lot of typos, corrected by a wonderful player: Vifarc ERISS. Lof of thanks! "
It corrects almost of all the draws that the youtube reviewers had said.

Shadow
01-03-2019, 02:28 PM
Shadow, you should try 1Quest too.

I'll have to check it out. Looks like it is on Steam (https://store.steampowered.com/app/332710/1Quest/).

Vifarc
01-03-2019, 03:10 PM
I'll have to check it out. Looks like it is on Steam (https://store.steampowered.com/app/332710/1Quest/).
Yes, I know, I says to buy at itchio as there it comes with a Steam key
and Steam may have not the last 1.04.003 version, but itchio sure has it (I downloaded the game here, I don't use Steam),
despite all both say their game is still at 1.04.000

Sure 1Quest is not your very style of games, but it is to be known,
and it has dualwield lol (but it has no small left-hand weapon defense option)

I guess, for the Steam reviews, the dev revenged and did not updated there lol.

Destro*
01-03-2019, 04:48 PM
Sick looking game. Going to try it out myself.

edit: Ahhh, saw the link in comments to kongregate verison. Played the game a long time ago. Indeed, pretty fun. Interesting how they tried to monetize it, haha.

Excellion
01-12-2019, 12:24 PM
Two small things i noticed today:

Map Markers
If i recall correctly the yellow quest marker in Din's Curse would depend on the location of the quest:

- "^" if the quest was on a higher floor.
- "v" if the quest was on a lower floor.
- "*" if the quest was on the same floor.

In Din's Legacy there are currently two over-world dungeon types i am aware of: Towers and Dungeons. Towers naturally go upwards, whereas dungeons go downwards. If a quest is located in a tower quest the marker will always use the "v" sign though. This kind of confused me into looking for a dungeon instead of climbing the tower to its fourth floor as the marker kept pointing down (Suggesting i had to go down instead of up). Really minor but potentially confusing.

Skill randomization on character creation
I assume the second thing is likely a feature but just in case: When creating a new character the characters skills seem to be selected randomly based on the map. For example: Creating a SpellSword on the "Bronzepond" map i have saved always results in:

- 4x Defense Bonus.
- 4x Mana Regen Bonus.
- 2x Mana Bonus.
- A total of 5 out of the 10 skills a spellsword can have.

Considering the game's mutation premise, i suspect that this is intentional? (I am not complaining - 4x Soul Harvest is a great start for a devastating blow build and / or a mana heavy character, as is 4x Health Bonus for most melee builds).

On-Kill item skills trigger for party members
This may also be intended but just in case: My own character has a ring that grants ~20% change to cast Fire Maelstrom on a kill, and a set of gloves that has a 25% chance to cast the same spell. It seems that these also apply to kills made by allies (At least to the NPC i am teamed up with). In combat it is harder to notice, but at times i am standing still while the NPC is clearing some fallen rocks. After they "kill" the rocks it occasionally triggers a Fire Maelstrom (The NPC itself doesn't have any items or skills that could trigger this)

Edit: Added a third observation.

Shadow
01-14-2019, 01:24 PM
I need to fix the ^v stuff for towers.

The random skills in the 2nd thing is on purpose, although it isn't necessarily supposed to be tied to the map.

The 3rd thing is a bug.

Excellion
01-14-2019, 06:03 PM
The random skills in the 2nd thing is on purpose, although it isn't necessarily supposed to be tied to the map.

As far as i tried it seems to be (currently). Recreating a SpellSword trice on the same map resulted in the exact same skill set each time. Not necessarily a bad thing though. Another thing i noticed seems to be tied to the save / load system. I had a few oddball situations happen:

1. Yesterday one renegade NPC fled to an area named the "Secret tunnels" that was located under the "Secret Tunnels". It wasn't pinpoint-able on the map and seemed to have no access point anywhere. I might have missed it, though i note i fully explored all map area's thoroughly including any secret area's.
2. Yesterday i moved through a secret area gate with no initial issues. After returning to said gate after exploring the area (Without changing levels) the gate was suddenly, say, a 100 pixels further to the left and located inside a wall where it couldn't be reached.
3. Today i ran into an odd issue with the Earthquake, Earth Mastery and Blood Sacrifice skill. This combo should do 6 damage on use (38 mana, -47% mana cost reduction and 40% mana as damage on use). Today it suddenly seemed to trigger red damage numbers and each earthquake seemed to hit me for 17-31 damage with the capacity to deal a crushing blow on myself.

In all three cases i started writing a bug report, but upon a "Save and Exit" followed by a reload of the save the issues vanished (NPC was in a different area altogether, gate had moved back to its previous correct position and earthquake damage was doing 6 damage again without red damage numbers displayed).

These problems are a bit of a pain. Not due to the issues themselves, but because i dislike writing vague reports that don't include a clear description or a set of steps to reproduce the issue. In these three cases i still don't have the foggiest idea how i managed to trigger these problems, let alone why a reload fixed them each time. After the third i figured I'd mention these but i kind of doubt there is anything actionable here.

Shadow
01-14-2019, 06:16 PM
Yeah, things that go away after a save and resume are a pain to reproduce, but I'll look into them and see what I can do.

Excellion
01-15-2019, 07:44 PM
Another thing i noticed:

When a level is won and a new world is generated, NPC companions in the party will not (always) automatically rejoin the party in the next level (In this example i went from a "Chase" scenario to a "Nightmare" scenario but i noticed this before as well).

Two things seem to happen:
- If you happen to run into the NPC who was previously in your party and talk to them they will not offer an option to re-recruit them into the party. The dialogue and options seem to be the same as the ones available when an NPC is already in the party. (Though they are not in the party and will not follow the player)
- Saving and reloading the game fixes the issue (Irregardless if the NPC was found). After a reload the party is recreated and the NPC teamed up with in the previous level will be present.

And thankfully: This is a save and load related issue that is actually entirely reproducible.

Bluddy
02-28-2019, 11:57 PM
Just got this and enjoying it!

* I had a world where the goal was the main quest, and the main quest was destroying an ice machine. Before I knew it, it was destroyed by a monster and I failed the world for some reason. I think the main quest should not have a timer on it where someone else can accomplish it.
* In this same world, every clan got wiped out by one clan within 7 minutes. Not sure if this is unusual yet.
* Graphics on my Intel integrated laptop are great, but on my Radeon Rx460 I get flashing textures. I'll update drivers and check again.

Shadow
03-01-2019, 11:46 AM
* I had a world where the goal was the main quest, and the main quest was destroying an ice machine. Before I knew it, it was destroyed by a monster and I failed the world for some reason. I think the main quest should not have a timer on it where someone else can accomplish it.

There shouldn't be any actually timer forcing it to happen. That doesn't mean some monster doesn't decide to do something about it though. This is one of those times will all of the dynamic stuff causes problems.

Bluddy
03-02-2019, 09:12 PM
* After I updated the drivers on my Radeon, the graphics are good. Still a few texture blocks flashing, especially on flat ground, but it's rare.
* I'm super impressed by the gradient on the ground. The new dimension definitely improves the feel.
* Having said that, I think the gradient in caves is too extreme, especially given the fact that I don't have shadows and such from trees to make it obvious. I think caves should have almost flat ground, with maybe an occasional change in height between plateaus.
* The graphics really look good at this point IMO, especially with shadows on. Without shadows, the game loses a lot, but with them, it looks quite beautiful. The only 2 missing elements are better animations (which are expensive so I understand their absence) and I do think the grass textures could be improved -- just as in Zombasite, these textures add too much noise, even with anti-aliasing on.
* I think there are way too many enemies in towers (I think that's what they are? The building levels). The density of critters needs to be taken a few notches down, because currently you can barely move in there.
* Cave creature density could also be toned down a bit.
* Since this game is essentially an expansion and improvement of the Din's Curse formula, it would be great if we could recreate DC here as one scenario: have an area that's mostly levels down, a few quest givers, and the mission of keeping them alive while taking out the big bad.
* I booted up DC to compare (man, I love that game). One thing I never liked about Zombasite is that quests were no longer given by people, but instead were given by a bulletin board. I realize you had to have that because there was no notion of questgivers there (it being survival-oriented and all), but I have to say I'm not a fan. Having the quest given to you by a person may not seem like a huge difference, but it gives you a personal feeling that's missing. Going back to that person and getting the reward is so much more satisfying (even if we can now solve quests remotely).
* I don't know if there is anything that happens in this game if you lose your townspeople. Is there? I feel like the dynamics from DC were SO good, that if you lost your warmaster or what not you wouldn't have those kinds of quests until you got him back in another quest, and if you lost all 3 questgivers it was game over.
* Also, I have yet to encounter character conflicts. I can see so much about the NPCs, but do they fight, marry etc?
* I'm assuming we'll eventually see some text when talking to people. Will we? I love that they thank us when we give them a weapon, but I'd love them to also have bits of text as before, so there's a feel of a real person there.
* I don't fully get the mutation mechanics yet, but I think they add the spice to the game that the DC formula really needed for long-term play. A character that changes and gets scarred over time is such a wonderful concept. I *love* how my warrior is afraid of Orcs because he died to them so many times. More of this kind of thing, both good and bad, would be amazing, making every character unique. The different goal types between worlds can also be seen as a perfection of the DC formula (as I mentioned above). Now if we can just have the critical questgivers and the deep dungeon!
* It seems like we can only recruit one character to our party (I don't know how multiplayer works). In that case, 'recruit to party' should replace the current party member we have, or should change to 'replace in party' when we already have someone.
* In general, I'm really happy with this game - much more than with the mechanics in Zombasite, which weren't up my alley. I think this game can easily be marketed as the sequel to Din's Curse, which will hopefully help earn some more sales. It comes back to the same concept but adds variety and depth, improves graphics, adds outside areas -- basically everything DC fans wanted in a sequel.
* I'm going to throw out an idea, which may be closer to the original concept you had for the game. This may require a particular game mode for a character, or may just work better in another game. Basically, do CK2. Suppose you have a limited life, and one of your missions is to procreate. So as you go through worlds, you're looking for a mate with the characteristics you want to have in a child. While you're carrying out your mission, you bring this person gifts, and eventually marry them. At that point, they'll follow you from world to world. After a while, you have a child. Your skills will then atrophy and eventually you'll have to switch over. The key thing is, you have to keep your mate and child/children safe when the town is attacked, and if they get killed off, it can scar you and give you a vendetta, etc.

Bluddy
03-02-2019, 11:36 PM
I feel like there should be a happiness adjustment for clan members who are successful in battle. This is true for Zombasite as well (perhaps even more so). Taking a person on an expedition with you, so long as they don't suffer major injuries and don't have a trait that makes them too fearful to fight, should give them a happiness boost.

Shadow
03-04-2019, 05:10 PM
* Since this game is essentially an expansion and improvement of the Din's Curse formula, it would be great if we could recreate DC here as one scenario: have an area that's mostly levels down, a few quest givers, and the mission of keeping them alive while taking out the big bad.
* I don't know if there is anything that happens in this game if you lose your townspeople. Is there? I feel like the dynamics from DC were SO good, that if you lost your warmaster or what not you wouldn't have those kinds of quests until you got him back in another quest, and if you lost all 3 questgivers it was game over.
* Also, I have yet to encounter character conflicts. I can see so much about the NPCs, but do they fight, marry etc?
* I'm assuming we'll eventually see some text when talking to people. Will we? I love that they thank us when we give them a weapon, but I'd love them to also have bits of text as before, so there's a feel of a real person there.

There is a scenario that is fairly similar to DC, just not the part of specific quest givers.

There are some scenarios where you lose the scenario if you lose all of the townspeople.

NPCs can fight, marry, etc.

NPCs can have some dialog. I've been trying to make it more important and will continue to do so.

rainbow
03-04-2019, 09:37 PM
Thank you very much for the fun game.

Would you please add a Ghost Summoner Class?
I was thinking of spells/skills such as this:
Ghost Blast - Deals X Damage To Single Enemy With Fear Effect
Ghost Blaze - Deals X Damage to Enemies Around it With Shaking Effect
Summon Ghost 1 - Summon A Ghost That Appears/Disappears to make it harder to hit. When it attacks, may scare enemy away. Increase Summon Count every two levels.
Ghost Shield - Makes player somewhat transparent and ups defense. Has a chance of casting fear or other negative effect.
Summon Ghost Skeleton - Somewhat Transparent. Melee attacks may hurt or may not (random) - Deals damage to enemies around it with status effects. Increase Summon Count every four levels.
Summon Ghost Mage - Very Transparent. Very hard to hit with Melee attacks. Attacks enemies with fire, ice, electricity etc.
Ghost Magic Regeneration - Ups Players Magic Regeneration based on the number of summons.
Ethereal - Makes player very transparent and increases defense. Melee attacks hit at random. (Perhaps increase spell damage.) It ups the summons attack/defense.

Any other ideas.

Also, would you please add an inventory sorting button?

Also, in one world that was generated, there were two barrels that I could not hit. I think they were to low to the ground or something.

The game is blast. I thoroughly enjoy playing it.

Thank you.

Bluddy
03-06-2019, 12:36 AM
Can we please have some of the town management screens from Zombasite? I love the diagram that shows relationships between NPCs in particular, even if it can't be used to place anyone, and having a list of NPCs is very useful as well, even if we can't give them a job or expedition.

Bluddy
03-06-2019, 09:01 PM
Visiting DC again -- what was the reason for abandoning the system whereby you had the warmaster etc from DC and DoP, and moving to a bulletin board? Was it just because Zombasite had you manage people, and those people could die? The depth that was added by these people (warmaster, steward, apothecary etc) was quite significant:

* You could only turn in your own quests directly to them. This might seem like an inconvenience, but it meant that you actually had to find them and keep them alive to get the reward (for other clans' quests, the shortcut makes sense).
* You had to find replacements for them if they died or your source of quests of that type dried up.
* You had to talk to several live people to get your quests. Thus you were exposed to their happiness level (in the talk menu).
* In DL, the loss of your own warmaster would not be entirely crippling, since you'd still be able to do other clans' quests (assuming they exist), at least until you could get a warmaster.
* You could perhaps be given a possible quest for a replacement warmaster/steward from other clans that were friendly to you -- not just from your own clan.
* It would also be a differentiating factor from Zombasite.

This feature carried a lot of the 'feel' of DC (and some of DoP's), and it'd be a real shame not to have it in the spiritual successor to DC.

Bluddy
03-06-2019, 11:33 PM
Also, I've been playing for a couple of hours, and is it really the case that there's no lose condition necessarily? That would be... surprising. I think it makes sense to always have the lose condition of losing your clan. Otherwise you have no stakes at all. Ideally, I'd love to see the warmaster etc back as well, but I think there really needs to be a lose condition in all scenarios.

Shadow
03-07-2019, 11:40 AM
It went away because it didn't make a lot of sense for Drox Operative or Zombasite and I have never added it back in for Din's Legacy. It is possible that I add it back it in though. It did work really well in DC.

Many, but not all, of the scenarios do have lose conditions. I've tried to have them whenever they make sense.

Bluddy
03-07-2019, 12:18 PM
I think it's really important to always have lose conditions -- otherwise there's no tension. What do I care if my town gets attacked? Just let them die. It strips away the meaning of the whole background layer. The whole point of the quests leading to consequences is that those consequences can eventually overwhelm you and you'll lose. But if those consequences mean nothing, I can just let them go and not worry about the bigger picture at all.

I've got my fingers crossed that you bring back the warmaster and his friends. :)

rainbow
03-08-2019, 05:52 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is following line for:
changed PROTOCOL_VERSION to 81

Thank you.

rainbow
03-08-2019, 05:55 PM
Also, would you please add an option to put the "Monster Per Block" count back to what it was? I, for one, like a good monster challenge.

Thank you.

Shadow
03-08-2019, 06:22 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is following line for:
changed PROTOCOL_VERSION to 81

It really just means someone on the current version of the game can't play multiplayer with someone on a previous version.

Bluddy
03-12-2019, 10:09 AM
Leftovers from Zombasite:

* Eating food shows '+2 clan food' in the middle of the screen (broken leftover?)
* Zombasite can be contracted by a party member. The mouseover for the effect talks about Zombasite-specific stuff and lore.

Bluddy
03-12-2019, 10:51 AM
It's hard to know if this is just the randomness, but I've had a few worlds, particularly with caves, where the main quests where beating bosses and there were no other quests. The only quests that came up were beating the bosses that came about from promotions (ie. from killing me) and those bosses that were sighted. It wasn't slow pace or anything, but effectively the nemesis and such weren't generating other quests, nor did anyone in town ask me to do something for them. Not sure what to make of it yet -- just an observation right now.

EDIT: Seems like I was just seeing a bunch of bad samples, though for example the 'kill the nemesis' quest appears to not generate other quests for the town to begin with.

Bluddy
03-14-2019, 05:36 PM
I think the bow skeletons could use a better effect for their arrows -- something similar to your own arrows. Their current effect looks dated and resembles fire, when that's not the intent.

Bluddy
03-20-2019, 05:28 PM
From Steam (https://steamcommunity.com/app/911550/discussions/0/3247565033766855488/).

Shouldn't be too hard to define house areas as cover from the sun? It doesn't need to be perfect ie. account for shadows. I imagine underground areas already have this handled.

Shadow
03-20-2019, 06:44 PM
Shouldn't be too hard to define house areas as cover from the sun? It doesn't need to be perfect ie. account for shadows. I imagine underground areas already have this handled.

Yeah, I saw that. It isn't hard to know if the player is in a non-burned down house block.

Bluddy
03-22-2019, 02:48 PM
There's an odd stretching happening on rock textures. If you look at the steam page video, around 0:51, you'll see a bridge or something ie. a rocky texture getting stretched oddly by the random hill algorithm. Would it be possible to prevent this kind of thing? Rocky textures like that should probably just stay at the same height.

Bluddy
03-25-2019, 12:20 PM
You probably have this on your task list already, but the buttons on the menus talking to NPCs could really use some alignment. They really look weird all having different sizes.

Also, putting in the request again to have the map info showing NPC relations from Zombasite. I wonder if you could have it as a button and overlay in the main map, ie. you don't need it in a different UI.

Bluddy
03-26-2019, 11:56 AM
1. It would be nice to have random mutations such as vulnerability to fire/cold/magic/poison.

2. When someone in town dies, everyone who likes that person should have a debuff for X minutes (perhaps called 'Mourning'). Anyone who hates them could have a buff instead. As more and more people die, these debuffs pile up, making it so that you'd want to give the people time to mourn before taking them with you in the party. For married couples losing a spouse, the debuff could be far more serious (Mourning Spouse).

Bluddy
03-26-2019, 05:05 PM
It's a lot of fun to play as a fire mage, because your fire can burn stuff up. Unfortunately, the ice mage and magician don't get to have as much fun. Some ideas:

1. Ice magic radiates a cold aura around things that are hit. The thing that needs hard coding in the engine is, if you hit enough things with ice, nearby things also freeze. Ice pools form in the vicinity (not sure if that happens now). When hit, monsters may slide down icy hallways, and even more so down icy slopes (takes advantage of the new slopes in the engine). Fighting on ice can even be a strategy, since you could avoid getting hit back as the ice will build up distance to the monsters.

2. Magician-type magic, if hit enough times in a certain area, can cause anomaly-type entities to form there that trigger automatically, causing explosions/teleportation/shrinking.

Bluddy
03-28-2019, 12:54 AM
It doesn't seem like you can donate to NPCs right now.

Bluddy
03-28-2019, 10:59 AM
Gates seem to sometimes spawn in multiples on the same spot. I posted a picture on discord (it's too hard to post a high-res image here).

Bluddy
03-28-2019, 04:12 PM
Gates seem to sometimes spawn in multiples on the same spot. I posted a picture on discord (it's too hard to post a high-res image here).

As mentioned on discord, is there a chance that the gate is created at every heightmap level, causing a stack of gates with only the top one poking out?

rainbow
03-28-2019, 05:37 PM
I like the new log doors. Would you please make them impossible to be destroyed? Sometimes, they disappear.

Thank you.

Bluddy
03-29-2019, 12:58 PM
It doesn't seem like you can donate to NPCs right now.

Correction: you can only donate to an NPC in your party, which doesn't seem like the intended functionality.

Bluddy
03-29-2019, 01:01 PM

I've now seen this happen consistently.

I keep on discovering abandoned adjacent towns with no people. I'm not sure if it's a bug or not. My sense is that there are supposed to be people in these towns but something is bugged. These towns are the ones that generate the buggy gates with multiple labels.

Also, your party members have lost the ability from Zombasite to heal themselves with a lifestone/healthstone when you do as well. They just stand around doing nothing.

Shadow
03-29-2019, 06:33 PM
Correction: you can only donate to an NPC in your party, which doesn't seem like the intended functionality.

Yeah, I tracked this one down and it should be fixed in today's build.

I've now seen this happen consistently.

I keep on discovering abandoned adjacent towns with no people. I'm not sure if it's a bug or not. My sense is that there are supposed to be people in these towns but something is bugged. These towns are the ones that generate the buggy gates with multiple labels.

Also, your party members have lost the ability from Zombasite to heal themselves with a lifestone/healthstone when you do as well. They just stand around doing nothing.

Yeah, I'm also thinking it is empty town related.

Someone else mentioned the NPCs not healing themselves correctly and I should also be fixed in today's build.

Bluddy
04-01-2019, 11:15 AM
Are there missions to take out specific clans? Because I think that would be pretty cool.

Shadow
04-01-2019, 03:13 PM
Are there missions to take out specific clans? Because I think that would be pretty cool.

There are actually 2 of them.

1) Fall of an Empire - 1 evil clan type that has multiple towns and you have to destroy all of them.

2) Conquest - normal world with clans, must destroy a random clan

Bluddy
04-01-2019, 04:55 PM
There are actually 2 of them.

1) Fall of an Empire - 1 evil clan type that has multiple towns and you have to destroy all of them.

2) Conquest - normal world with clans, must destroy a random clan

Cool! That sounds great.

I can think of one more cool variation, which is to protect another clan. You'd then be technically responsible for your own quests as well as theirs.

Shadow
04-01-2019, 06:28 PM
I can think of one more cool variation, which is to protect another clan. You'd then be technically responsible for your own quests as well as theirs.

There is a protect clan scenario. You and they start in the same town and you have to solve all of yours and their quests.

Bluddy
04-02-2019, 09:31 AM
* Is there a reason skills are missing on the skill tree when choosing a specialty? For example, when I create a Necromancer, the Raise Dead skill is missing.

* The Behind Enemy Lines scenario is far too difficult. You encounter a ton of enemy bosses with virtually no chance of stopping them.

* I don't think I've ever seen a secret wall revealed by pulling a switch in any of the games. Would be a nice touch.

Shadow
04-02-2019, 12:05 PM
* Is there a reason skills are missing on the skill tree when choosing a specialty? For example, when I create a Necromancer, the Raise Dead skill is missing.

Which specific skills you get are randomized a little. You always get the 1 point skills though. I decoupled the specialty skill list from what you actually get so I could freely add as many skills that made sense to a specialty without breaking other things (balance, mutation levels, etc).

Bluddy
04-02-2019, 12:16 PM
Which specific skills you get are randomized a little. You always get the 1 point skills though. I decoupled the specialty skill list from what you actually get so I could freely add as many skills that made sense to a specialty without breaking other things (balance, mutation levels, etc).

OK that's cool.

The mutation mechanic needs to be explained in-game btw, including what happens when you mutate with another character/tree. I don't entirely understand it myself :P

Shadow
04-02-2019, 04:15 PM
The mutation mechanic needs to be explained in-game btw, including what happens when you mutate with another character/tree. I don't entirely understand it myself :P

Yeah, I plan on that at some point in time.

Bluddy
04-02-2019, 10:21 PM
One feature I forgot about in Drox is that it's very hardcore: you only have a few lives before you hit the monetary loss condition (note for Drox 2: the number of remaining lives given the cost should be stated more clearly).

This feature makes it so you're really afraid of losing your ship, and especially going into unsettled solar systems is a huge risk. It's awesome. But it's only doable in Drox because
a) you have a lot of defense (armor, shield, hull) and
b) unless you have a specific guild quest, you don't *have* to venture to really dangerous areas. You can stay in safer areas and accomplish small tasks. (Of course, if you *do* have a guild quest, things get really intense).

Both of these conditions don't hold in DL, which is why I don't think the concept is transferable by default. However, it would be nice to have the 'Only Hope' option from DC, which is essentially equivalent to Drox's monetary loss but with only one life, but apply it more generously. It's not realistic not to die in DL -- a huge monster can appear out of nowhere and take you out before you can react (you don't have the layers of defense from Drox). But if you had a generous number of lives (say, 10), it would make the game quite exciting. So DL's version of 'Only Hope' would give you 10 lives, and after you die 10 times, the current world is lost.

Bluddy
04-03-2019, 11:22 AM
If we look at clan NPCs as the sort-of equivalent to planets in Drox (and ships -- it's really both), NPCs are the main resource in Zombasite/DL. One of the key things in Drox was quest chains that made individual planets less efficient. It would be nice to have such quest chains for NPCs, causing them both unhappiness and debuffs.

I know some things exist, like diseases and curses. What I'm looking for is to be able to wear down a clan's strength, much like the way you can slowly chip away at enemy planets and ships in Drox.

For example, it would be very useful to be able to cause discord between clan members of another clan. The relationship would become gradually worse until they start fighting, and maybe a clan member will rebel or defect. So a quest chain of a fight between 2 or more clan members, which can be sorted out by bringing back something to pacify them, would help with this, and you could try and plant such a quest chain on your enemies, perhaps by stealing the object that caused the fight. This is also something that can be initiated by a boss, of course.

Perhaps a quest chain that disables a clan's health stone would be cool as well. Also some quest chain that degrades NPC item effectiveness.

Just like in your own clan, I imagine an unhappy NPC of another clan will start to cause negative quest chains for that clan already, right?

Bluddy
04-04-2019, 09:58 AM
Looks like there are quite a few other towns to find in DL. There's no reason people in other towns should agree to join your town. Maybe there could be a quest line to get one of them to join your town, but by default there shouldn't be an option for anybody to join your town.

The same thing applies to joining your party -- only people from your own town should be ok with joining your party. Otherwise you have an endless supply.

Bluddy
04-04-2019, 10:10 AM
* I have a gate for an area that spawned in a bad location. When teleporting back to that area, I was placed in a random location on the map.

(From discord)

* Zombasite infections can still happen, at least to NPCs in your party.

* Small rocks, even from falling debris, are labeled 'small chest'.

* I've had a cave-in happen in an open area. Not sure if it's supposed to be able to happen.

* Happiness negative modifier mentions Apocalypse (from Zombasite).

* Even non-abandoned towns have the gate issue. It looks like every other town you encounter, with a gate that allows you to jump to many levels (ie. not just back to your town) have the gate label issue.

Bluddy
04-04-2019, 12:25 PM
* It seems that most, or at least some scenarios start with nothing but the main quests e.g. destroy the gate, destroy the altars. I think this is a shame -- showing why these things need to be destroyed is important ie. they've already let to bad quests that hurt your town etc.

* I observed in DL as well as in Zombasite that now that outdoor areas are segmented (ie. not just squares), they lead to many dead ends. This is a little bit annoying and feels somewhat unrealistic -- it's rare in an open area that you'd get to a wall that prevents you from crossing over to where your target is. It'd be nice if the map generation could be tweaked to make fewer dead ends except perhaps in the borders of areas. So you'd be more likely to have 2 paths that separate, but then perhaps eventually lead to the same place. I think it's much better to have a split in the road that leads to a shortcut and a long way to get to your target rather than explore one path and find that it leads to a dead end.

* Now that there are other friendly towns without factions, it would be nice to think about how they're connected. Perhaps a road could lead between them. Perhaps that road could have people moving along it and generating quests as they get attacked by monsters. Perhaps suppliers could pass between towns, and if they get ambushed (and not rescued) the town doesn't get its supplies and everyone starves.

Bluddy
04-04-2019, 01:01 PM
The 'town protector' scenario starts with a bulletin board that contains the starting quests, but also has the warmaster etc, who do *not* have the starting quests. Further quests appear both on the bulletin board and the warmaster et al.

Shadow
04-04-2019, 02:45 PM
* Zombasite infections can still happen, at least to NPCs in your party.

That one at least is on purpose. The Zombasite still exists. Mutated are immune to it, but humans are not.

Bluddy
04-04-2019, 03:13 PM
That one at least is on purpose. The Zombasite still exists. Mutated are immune to it, but humans are not.

Well, can we please improve the feedback for it? The flashing is so annoying.

* For an infected NPC, flash the icon twice, then leave it on for 20 seconds or so. Repeat. Hopefully this will reduce the annoyance -- the flashing icon just reminds you once in a while.

* For low health, the convention established in modern games is to tint the whole/boundary are of the screen red (rapid alpha modification) when you get hit. No need to do this with every hit, but perhaps for the big ones. See here (https://youtu.be/_PfwbRjSXMk?t=1764).

* A massive hit for a big chunk of your HP, even when you're starting with high HP could do the same thing, perhaps in a weaker color.

* Zombasite would be helped by a similar fix with a green tint, as can getting poisoned.

Bluddy
04-05-2019, 09:25 AM
* NPCs in your party seem to gain HP automatically very quickly. Is this intended behavior? It means they're rarely in danger of dying.

* Most town-based scenarios seem to start with far too many vendors in your town. This means your town has automatic protection.

* At the same time, you're alerted of an attack when a monster is very far outside your town walls and not fighting anyone. This alarm is too sensitive.

* Once again I observe that scenarios start without enough active quests aside from the victory ones. This may be a function of low level characters, but this certainly isn't the case in Zombasite, so I don't think that's it.

Bluddy
04-05-2019, 12:10 PM
I now found the anti-flashing option. It's good to have, but I think it should be the default. Even better would be adopting the industry-standard ways of alerting the player to danger that don't irritate as much, as I mentioned above.

Bluddy
04-07-2019, 05:31 PM
* NPC in my party is mutated, but still got Zombasite.

* There's an area of the map that seems inaccessible and has a critical quest. I attached the save. It's the remaining quest, in the west area. Looks like it's walled off and the gate spawned in the wrong place.

* Quests don't seem to be spawning very well. I've been noticing this a lot. Aside from the initial quests, I've gotten a bunch of fanatic appearances and nothing else in an hour and half.

* I've met a rival clan that has an empty town. Not a soul in sight. They still appear as present on the relations screen. They also have the bugged gate.

Bluddy
04-07-2019, 07:17 PM
* New character, new world. Going south from my town (via the southern door) causes a reproducible crash.

Shadow
04-08-2019, 05:06 PM
* New character, new world. Going south from my town (via the southern door) causes a reproducible crash.

Are you doing anything else specific other than just going through the southern door? So far going through the door and running around south isn't doing anything for me.

Bluddy
04-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Are you doing anything else specific other than just going through the southern door? So far going through the door and running around south isn't doing anything for me.

Nope. Just went south (assuming north is up) and tried to explore, crashed. Loaded it up again, went south and crashed. I'll try again tonight.

Shadow
04-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Nope. Just went south (assuming north is up) and tried to explore, crashed. Loaded it up again, went south and crashed. I'll try again tonight.

I did just find and fix a crash on a different character, hopefully that's the same one.

rainbow
04-08-2019, 06:43 PM
From time to time, when I clicked on a merchant, the game would crash to the desktop. Thank you.

Bluddy
04-09-2019, 03:58 PM
I want to reiterate a suggestion I made on Steam, which is to look into using PhysX rigid body animation for dead bodies. PhysX 3.4 is open source, btw. This could really work well with the hill system introduced in DL. Creatures could then die randomly either with their regular animation or with rigid-body physics.

Shadow
04-09-2019, 04:13 PM
I want to reiterate a suggestion I made on Steam, which is to look into using PhysX rigid body animation for dead bodies. PhysX 3.4 is open source, btw. This could really work well with the hill system introduced in DL. Creatures could then die randomly either with their regular animation or with rigid-body physics.

I'll have to investigate PhysX. I've known about it for a long time, but have never looked into it that much.

Thanks for the support on the Steam forums BTW.

Bluddy
04-10-2019, 09:21 AM
To repeat my findings from discord, without shadows, DL and Zombasite run about the same fps-wise (55-60 fps). With shadows, DL gets weird shadow artifacts on certain items (walls, fences, all different kinds of boundaries) that move on their own and also flash when you run. It also suffers about a 10-15 fps penalty, which moves it down to <=20 fps. This on a machine that runs just about all modern games.

Shadow
04-10-2019, 12:09 PM
To repeat my findings from discord, without shadows, DL and Zombasite run about the same fps-wise (55-60 fps). With shadows, DL gets weird shadow artifacts on certain items (walls, fences, all different kinds of boundaries) that move on their own and also flash when you run. It also suffers about a 10-15 fps penalty, which moves it down to <=20 fps. This on a machine that runs just about all modern games.

Repost from Discord for everyone here: Yeah, the new terrain and especially the new shadows take its toll on the fps some. I know about the shadows moving around. It's a side effect of the surface being parallel to the light and the fact that the sun actually slowly moves position. I'm hoping that one of these days I'll figure out a good way to fix that.

Bluddy
04-10-2019, 12:29 PM
OK, so given how expensive (and awesome) the new shadow technique is, I think it makes sense to try and reduce its cost:

* I've noticed in many games that shadows are computed in low resolution and only update once every few frames, especially for vegetation. If you compute shadows every frame, perhaps those shadows could be cached and updated only every X frames. So shadows for monsters and humans would be updated every frame, whereas shadows for everything else would be recomputed and cached once every 10 frames or so. I'm pretty sure even the most high-end AAA games do things this way, which makes sense given the framerate limitations you're encountering.

If the above isn't enough:

* I imagine most of the cost is borne by the things comprised of many little entities, since these all need to be iterated over and shadows need to be cast from each one. The more you can reduce the number of entities with shadows, the better.
* Obviously monsters and humans need shadows, as do large and medium-sized objects.
* Tiny objects, like little bits of grass and flowers, don't need to cast a shadow. It's barely perceptible anyway.
* Leaves don't need to cast a shadow on the same entity (ie. tree). Most of that effect is also lost and is ineffective. Instead, they just need to cast shadows on other entities. I don't know if there's a way to control it at that fine a granularity.
* The elements of walls comprised of many entities, such as the clan walls, don't need to cast a shadow on each other, but only on other things.
* The same applies to the rocky walls consisting of segments. Even though those segments are large and relatively few, it's not essential for them to cast a shadow on each other.

In general though, I imagine that trees and plants cause the highest problems in terms of shadow computation just because of the number of entities. Dealing with those should improve things.

Bluddy
04-10-2019, 11:21 PM
Just to complicate things, on my Intel integrated laptop, the shadow mapping doesn't have much of an fps cost.

Bluddy
04-11-2019, 12:39 PM
My current working theory is that something with the way the shaders are run for shadow mapping is not working well with modern GPUs. Using ARBs instead of GLSL may be the source of the problem - GLSL is far more efficient for modern GPUs - but I also can't find the ARB code you use for rendering the shadow map (fragment shader should be empty) and the ARB that actually tests the shadow map for shadows.

Shadow
04-11-2019, 04:09 PM
My current working theory is that something with the way the shaders are run for shadow mapping is not working well with modern GPUs. Using ARBs instead of GLSL may be the source of the problem - GLSL is far more efficient for modern GPUs - but I also can't find the ARB code you use for rendering the shadow map (fragment shader should be empty) and the ARB that actually tests the shadow map for shadows.

I'm pretty sure the shadow mapping is actually in code instead of an ARB program.

Bluddy
04-11-2019, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty sure the shadow mapping is actually in code instead of an ARB program.

So that explains why the Intel integrated gpu wasn't affected so badly. You're pulling the frame and shadow map data from the GPU framebuffer to the CPU, doing the shadow test for each pixel, and pushing it back to the GPU. This is ok-ish for integrated GPUs, but absolutely brutal for dedicated ones. This has to be done at the fragment shader level for it to have any chance of being performant on modern GPUs.

Also, the shadow map should be rendered with an empty fragment shader to minimize the amount of work done, but that's a minor concern relative to pushing this much data across the bus every frame.

(Also of course the fragment shaders can do this job much faster than the CPU can, but I don't think that's the dominant issue.)

Shadow
04-11-2019, 07:25 PM
Off hand, I don't believe the data is going to the CPU. I think it is just going down the fixed-function pipeline instead of the shader stuff, which also is probably not great on modern GPUs.

Bluddy
04-11-2019, 07:32 PM
Off hand, I don't believe the data is going to the CPU. I think it is just going down the fixed-function pipeline instead of the shader stuff, which also is probably not great on modern GPUs.

Hmm... ok, not sure how you pull it off in the fixed-function pipeline. I guess you're rendering a tiny orthogonal texture to the screen at every calculated shadow point? Or you create a 'shadow mask' on the CPU, then move it to the GPU and render it orthogonally.

I'm turning the feature off on my machine for now, because I don't think it's 'ready for prime time'. I'll be glad to look at implementing this properly if you want and don't have the time to do so. Let me know on discord.

Bluddy
04-12-2019, 12:15 AM
Is there a reason the camp in DL is all brown ground? The Zombasite camp is so much nicer, with its mix of grass, leaves and bushes?

EDIT: To clarify, it seems like most starting towns start out with a ton of scorched tiles. The downside of this is that it looks far less appealing than the towns in Zombasite.

Bluddy
04-12-2019, 09:21 AM
* Candlestick objects don't seem to have their usage defined correctly -- rather than lighting, they get used up and drop into the ground.

* As noted before, NPCs in my party seem to get health regen that's far higher than what their vitality should provide. Not sure if this is intended.

Bluddy
04-12-2019, 09:53 AM
Really enjoying the varied terrains of DL!

Bluddy
04-12-2019, 11:17 AM
Would it be possible to make it so going up on a hill gives you a wider view, and going in a ditch surrounded by hills hides you a little and hides monsters from your view?

Shadow
04-12-2019, 06:21 PM
Is there a reason the camp in DL is all brown ground? The Zombasite camp is so much nicer, with its mix of grass, leaves and bushes?

It's a random thing. Since you aren't in the middle of the Zombasite apocalypse I should probably make it less likely for parts of the town to be burned.

Would it be possible to make it so going up on a hill gives you a wider view, and going in a ditch surrounded by hills hides you a little and hides monsters from your view?

I'm not sure how doable that would be.

Bluddy
04-12-2019, 07:42 PM
* One thing I've seen have a large impact in other games is rendering cloud cover's effect on entities. A light shadow that travels slowly with cloud cover in cloud-like patterns may be relatively easy to render. The deserts wouldn't have it most of the time, but the woods and grasslands would.

* I'm also wondering how much the shift in lighting should happen between areas. I'd prefer to have the shift relate to different times of the day, with some days having randomly more red dusks or more violet dawns and have lighting between areas be consistent as you move (aside from cloud cover perhaps).

Bluddy
04-14-2019, 01:20 AM
Sorry, I thought I was posting in this thread:

* I do think there's a UI issue with not being able to get quests remotely (despite suggesting this initially). For the other clans, I can go to an area, then accept the quests with an asterisk, knowing that they're for my current area. With the warmaster, I can't do that -- I have to hunt for quests with the exact name as the region I want to go back to.

Also, as much as I like the mechanic, unlike Din's Curse, DL is much more spread out, and you can spend a lot longer in the wilds. Getting back to base to get your next quests can take a while, and then you need to deal with the UI issue I mentioned above.

I think a compromise would be to allow getting quests with the old universal interface, but filter out those that aren't available b/c for example the warmaster is dead.

* Would it be possible to transition NPCs and the player character to a walking animation when they're slowed down? One of the things that produces the feeling of 'jank' is when you're running but you're slowed by an effect, so you look like you're floating in space.

* I was never fond of the ability to freely trade loot with other clans anywhere (from DoP). One reason is that your storage capacity barely matters anymore. Running out of space? Just open a modal, pausing dialog and trade away. You have a huge income stream and not much need to decide what to take with you and what to leave behind. And you get relations boosts to boot!

Drox handled it very well, since you had to actively head to a planet, which served as the race's vendor, and allowed you to trade there. You couldn't just choose whom to trade with at any time.

An equivalent of the Drox version would be to turn any friendly NPC of another clan into a 'vendor' offering what the clan owns (or just random stuff, like in Drox). You'd have to actually find an NPC of that clan, usually by finding the clan headquarters, and thereafter teleporting there. It would be a much more active decision, and wouldn't allow you to free up space at all times.

The other option is to make clan trading much more selective ie. I offer them something and they say, "we don't want that" with a few exceptions of the things they *do* want.

Bluddy
04-15-2019, 02:00 PM
* It would be nice to have a few ways to affect clan power, such as paying to steal their strongest items (thus weakening them), or bribing a member of theirs to switch sides to another clan. The better the opinion the clan has of the other clan, the better the chance the member will switch.

Bluddy
04-15-2019, 04:31 PM
>> I think a compromise would be to allow getting quests with the old universal interface, but filter out those that aren't available b/c for example the warmaster is dead.

While you're at it, you can also filter out redeeming the quests that you can't get reward for because the warmaster is dead.

rainbow
04-15-2019, 06:55 PM
One a couple of occasions, wands that I was using against enemies just disappeared? Is this supposed to happen? It may have happened because the wands broke or something. Would it be possible for the wands to say their broken and are no longer usable? That way, a fancy wand that I was using can be repaired.

Thank you.

Bluddy
04-15-2019, 11:11 PM
One way to design the UI for the warmaster etc would be to have 3 lines in the home clan relation screen ([ is a button ]):

Warmaster Quests [Get] [Solve]
Apothecary Quests [Get] [Solve]
Steward Quests [Get] [Solve]

Then, if the warmaster dies, you disable both his [Get] and [Solve] buttons, etc. This should make it easier to code.

Shadow
04-16-2019, 12:45 PM
One a couple of occasions, wands that I was using against enemies just disappeared? Is this supposed to happen? It may have happened because the wands broke or something. Would it be possible for the wands to say their broken and are no longer usable? That way, a fancy wand that I was using can be repaired.

I'm guessing that it had a limited use spell on it or something.

Bluddy
04-16-2019, 05:46 PM
I'm trying to wrap my head around the mutation system.

Right now I have 16 mutation points and I'm only level 9. Does that mean I can basically add almost every skill tree in the game already? If so, are mutation points being given out way too liberally?

(BTW the tutorial about minor mutations is clear, but major mutations really isn't. It needs less exact info and more intuition about what they do.)

Bluddy
04-16-2019, 11:06 PM
* The gods' blessings seem far too strong. They last for the entire duration of the world, which is too long -- 10 or 20 minutes would be enough. Additionally, Thaden's blessing generates lightning bolts when hit, which is just too powerful. I just stand still and all the enemies die attacking me.

Bluddy
04-17-2019, 11:56 PM
* I'm but finding a lot health potions in the game. I mean a *lot* of health potions. I think the problem is that they generate in clumps ie. I'm not finding 1 each time, but 3 or more. I end up having way more health potions than I can possibly go through (in the 60s!!).

* Also, is the cooldown for health potions supposed to be this short? It allows using several health potions at once. Not saying it's wrong -- I just want to make sure that this is as intended.

Dilert
04-18-2019, 12:07 PM
I just want to make sure that this is as intended.

It probably is. I've noticed the same thing.

Bluddy
04-18-2019, 12:31 PM
* I posted screenshots on Discord of a bridge over water spawning next to a seemingly burnt-out house square. The blending between the blocks has gone haywire, as there's a line of green texture whose depth is completely off. Let me know if you want the save as well.

Shadow
04-18-2019, 01:52 PM
* Also, is the cooldown for health potions supposed to be this short? It allows using several health potions at once. Not saying it's wrong -- I just want to make sure that this is as intended.

This is on purpose.

Bluddy
04-22-2019, 08:18 PM
* I'm in a machine world -- destroy a bunch of machines. Even though I've set it to fast pace, new quests are very slow to arrive. I assume that's because there aren't many quest chains that start with machines being built. Not sure what to do about that -- maybe it's as intended, but it reduces the fun of the quest system.

Bluddy
04-25-2019, 10:48 AM
* The vulnerability to elements mutations could be made to have a chance of spawning when you die and have that element on you. e.g. Die while poisoned = vulnerable to poison. Die while on fire = vulnerable to fire. etc.

Destro*
04-26-2019, 05:11 PM
Maybe I'm just a glutten for content. But, I figured I'd give some more ideas for the game that I love so much! I don't expect any of this to get implemented, but I can dream right?

Remove Dem Caps

Remove the cap on player levels, items levels and mutations! ^^. Let's see level 200! I'm ready for the nearly impossible grind of 1 billion experience to reach level 200, lol.

More Content in Higher Difficulty Modes

As you enter the ultimate difficulty modes, the higher the difficulty, the greater the spawn chance for rare rooms like 'Utopia's' and higher rarity monsters. For example, at level 200, Demigod's begin to roam the world.

(I know I kind of do this in my mod, but it would be neat for the base game to have a feature like this. And, by locking it to level 100+, it wouldn't really mess with the game balance, while adding some content to the Ultimate tiers of difficulty.)

Veteran's Mode

A difficulty mode preset that can't be changed once your create a character.

* Locks area size to normal.
* All levels unconnected
* Hardcore
* Permanent mutations
* 3x scaling rate on monster health and damage.
* Overrun.
* Very fast pace.
* Gold acquired from all sources is reduced by 80%.

Big Content For End Game

Special item tiers that drop only in the highest difficulties coupled with a minor rework to the Ultimate difficulties.

Ultimate 1 - 125 - Supreme Items.
Ultimate II - 150 - Sacred Items
Ultimate II - 175 - Uber Items
Ultimate IV - 200 - Divine Items

I honestly don't think that the level ranges for Ultimate difficulties is a very good implementation for Din's Legacy. If you are going to run the ultimate difficulties, you're either going to run something like area level 110 or 200. You're pretty much never going to care about 125, 150, 175, etc., unless you're playing a hardcore character and testing the waters before going up to the next higher difficulty. As such, I recommend just making each ultimate tier a fixed level and buffing up the strength of monsters to some degree of power.

Perhaps the interface could be changed to just being a button to select an ultimate level, and it describes to you what you can get by playing on that level. (like Ultimate 4 would say monsters are 10x stronger, have 10x more health, 10x movement speed and can drop Divine Items).

In regards to the higher tier items, they would effectively be legendary items but with mods picked out from special mod pools. So, right now we have 6.7% chance of casting level 25 haste on a level 100 item, but maybe Supreme, Sacred, Uber and Divine Items have a 6.7% chance of casting level 32, 38, 42, 50 haste? Or, the chance rate increases to 10%, 15%, 20%, 25%.

I would expect these items to be coded as being even rarer than legendary items, but not unreasonably rare (well maybe for Divine, idk). Again, the expectation is that Ultimate IV would actually be a truly challenging difficulty, so maybe you would get 1 Divine item per full area clear on average while having huge amounts of magic find. I also wouldn't expect any vendor to stock these items.

Balance Requests

* Make weapon attack speed effect cast time of melee attacks.
* Add weapon speed to jewelry, like cast speed.
* Add level requirements to end-game mail/plate items and weapons.
* Add strength requirement to shields.
* Reduce the quality of items held on vendors ever so slightly. Stocking multiple legendary items is definitely overboard imho.
* I really feel like you could get rid of the starting vendors in towns and just have the warmaster and apocothery sell random potions/weapons in limited supply. But, that's just me.
* Nerf 'Fall of an Empire'. It is currently the best scenario to farm chests on, since once you find one empire, you find them all, and then you can just raid them for good loot.
* Check that there isn't a bug for the spawning of certain mods in the game. I checked like 10+ shoe vendors and numerous armorsmiths for boots with the speed modifier on them... I found 0. I think that speed should have a fairly good spawn rate on boots, but again that's just me. (edit: finally found my boots after 2 minutes today! RNG IS RNG!)
* Mutation levels still roll-over back to lower values once you hit a certain mutation level (180+ at least)... giving infinite mutations and mutation points.
* Animal Control mutation is currently bugged, it's level is tied to player level and trying to take out points gives negative money and negative skill points.
* Brenna's Fireball was also bugged. It behaved exactly like the normal Fireball spell when I acquired it.

I'd probably have more to suggest about game balance if/when any of those changes get made (like nerfing Kodiak Strength).

Destro*
04-27-2019, 06:27 PM
Some more as of 4/27:

* Give the ability to drop starting backpack if you replace the first backpack slot with a 24 slot backpack. (maybe make the new backpack undroppable at that point, unless replaced by another 24 slot backpack)

I also have an expansion idea. (I know, the game isn't even out yet. Yet, here I am!)

Din's Legacy: Legacy of the God's

Description: Convert existing altars, evil altars and blessing object altars into a formal item type of 'God's Altar'.

Clicking the items opens an interface where you donate gold to the gods (like the clan relations trade screen) (though, this would also be a good chance to rework the interface to let users enter a gold, silver and copper amount rather than a single integer).

At first, the altar only has one tab to let you donate gold. However, as you donate gold, different tabs might appear depending on how pleased the god is with your donations. And, the god may cause powerful effects to occur, depending on how much you spend. This strength and availability of these effects would naturally scale with the world level.

Example: Din's Altar.

He's a good god, so you donate 1 copper and this unlocks the 'Forging Tab'. The user clicks the tab and sees description of 'Increases Item Durability by 1' somewhere on the tab, a square box to put their item, and a 'Craft' button. At 1 silver, perhaps the description is 'Increases item max damage by 1'. And, at 1 gold, maybe a random affix will be strengthened on the item (not sure how hard that would be to code tbh).

For Mortus, you might donate 1 copper and it unlocks the 'Forging Tab' too, but this time it says, 'May strengthen or destroy an item.' And, the outcome you get for crafting in here ranges anywhere from cursing the item, destroying it, or increasing it's rarity up to Legendary (perhaps even beyond that if it is just adding an affix?). My idea with this is that the less gold you donate to an evil god, the more likely a bad effect will occur.

Honestly, I know that it what I described for Mortus would really fall under a 'chaotic god,' but I don't know any chaotic gods off the top of my head. More realistically, an evil god would probably just make a bad event happen to your enemies, whereas a chaotic god would have random item modifications, etc. occur. Though, if an evil god is displeased by your donation for any reason, they might still do something evil.

Good gods cause good events, and lawful gods are more expensive than their chaotic counterparts, but you would not have any negative chances for bad events if you donate to them.

Other effects could be:

* (Good/Evil/Chaotic Gods only) Spawning 3 good/evil avatars based on god alignment nearby. (10 silver)
* (Good Only) Good avatar as a follower for 5 minutes (10 gp).
* (Evil/Chaotic) Hostile Invulnerability Chaotic Avatar for 30 seconds.
* (Good/Chaotic) Activate a random waypoint (10 silver).
* (All) Give you a random summon (1 silver).
* (All) Kill a random machine (1 silver).
* (All) Drop crafting ingredients, items or gold (varies)
* (All) Apply a random effect to some item (from cursing an item to destroying it depending on how much you donate).
* (All) Spawn a waypoint nearby (1 copper).
* (Evil) Set an enemy town on fire (1 gp)
* (Evil) Smite an enemy clan (10 gp)
* (Evil) Start a war between two races. (10 silver)
* (Evil) Start invasions on towns, Zombasite style, evil god. (1 copper)
* (Good/Lawful only) Increase the rank of all monsters in the world permanently by 1 (3 times per world max). (100 gold)
* (Chaotic only) - Mutate you either horribly or wonderfully. (Adds 3 negative mutations, or adds 3 beneficial mutations.)
* (Good/Lawful only) - Bless you with 30 additional stat points. (100 gold)

This would make learning the lore of the god's in the game interesting to bend the effects that you get. And, it would create an amazing gold sink that I think this game sorely needs. Plus, it is just random, fun and gives players like me another way to min-max their gear.

A couple of ways to implement this is to just put a random altar in each town, that the player can donate to. In this case, the balance would be to limit how many times a player can donate in a given amount of time (maybe once a minute?)

Alternatively, if they are just found out in the wild, then set an overall use limit of 2-5. After you hit a limit, you get a message saying, "Your prayer is unanswered," and you take your coins back.

Perhaps there could even be lesser, normal and greater versions with access to more powerful effects and more uses, though I don't know that is overkill.

Well, this is what I was thinking of during my infinite free thinking time while farming level 100 on my character (level 97 at the moment). Just procrastinating. PEACE.

megaflux
04-28-2019, 12:38 PM
its annoying that item names disappear in combat so you no longer click them accidentally, but your idiot minions name stays there so you can still ask him "hows it hanging" 20 times an hour. it should disappear like item names (what could you POSSIBLY have to chat with them about mid combat?!).

mind you ive been playing your games for a long time now (since DoP i think) and im going to say this for your own good.. your cursor sucks. there i feel better now. what a relief. like.. MAN that was cathartic! yea, the cursor is shit (and always has been), especially the way it changes shapes from pointing hand, to open hand, to sword, to lips. its probably the least accurate cursor i have ever used. it feels like several enemies are even smaller than it! the solution it obviously to fix it. old style cross hairs would work better OR just go with the sword and clean it up so more than just the tip will work as a click (half the reason i dont bother trying to melee anymore is that if you click and the cursor changes to hand so you "hit" with the palm it doesnt register).

the only other "gripe" i really have is that its time to actually up the graphics. 75% of the people who i try to turn on to the game/s (all arpg fans) say "when was this made?" because of them and never even get as far as trying the game (the logic being if they are going to play something that LOOKS this old they may as well just play titan quest, diablo 2, etc). the logic of keeping the visuals simple so the game can run on older (more) systems only carries you as far as people who own old systems. even people in third world countries are using multi-core processors now though. the vast majority of people who PLAY arpgs (and dont use their pc for facebook, spread sheets, emails) own hardware that can actually run .. ARPGS!

hopefully you have another couple decades of making these games in you, because we are all patiently waiting for and looking forward to drox-op 2.

Destro*
04-28-2019, 10:42 PM
* Funnily enough, you can scavenge your starter backpack that you can't drop. :p
* Also, it would be nice to see discounts for the higher end crafting supplies (fortune/destiny) on Commoner.
* Looks like Mysic Brotherhood retraining interface is bugged atm, not working properly at all:

https://imgur.com/3Wa7eYD
https://imgur.com/XzkfSPw

Bluddy
04-29-2019, 01:01 AM
* Mail and plate armor could lower lightning resistance (by percentage) as a debuff, countering their strength a little, with plate having a higher penalty since it's solid metal.

Bluddy
04-29-2019, 09:08 AM
Reupping my requests/suggestions from the balance discussion thread so they don't get lost:

* Would it be possible to add a Min/MaxSpellDamageBase and Min/MaxSpellDamagePerLevel to put on items (similar to the way wands work, but not percentage based but rather base spell damage)? The spells themselves would then be able to modify by percentage. I'll try this out in a mod.
(EDIT: Actually I don't know if the spells will take their damage from the equipped wand currently. They almost certainly won't show it. I guess it needs more infrastructure work to make it feasible.)

* Also, a LevelsBetweenSkillCostRaises to act on BaseSkill's CostIncreasePerLevel (making the cost of spells go up only every few levels) would be great. If skill costs don't go up as fast, not as many skill points are needed. Again, I'll try this out in a mod.

* Regarding the armor/item stat requirements for things that don't have level requirements, they should go up faster. As you go up in levels, you find more and more items that supplement your stats, and they eventually exceed your own point investments. However, they're still linear as a function of your level -- they're just a much steeper linear curve. So just modifying the derived items -- SwordTwoHanded2/3 etc to have higher STATsPerLevel could be the best solution.

* Cast time boosts on items should be limited to a more reasonable level.

* The most powerful skills (generally AOE) in the game need a cooldown so they can't be abused with cast time boosts.

Bluddy
04-30-2019, 11:05 AM
* When a monster becomes huge due to being near a totem (e.g. undead), the change should be animated rather than immediately applied. Shrinking/growing animations should apply to them as well as to getting/losing Giant stature for the player.

Bluddy
05-01-2019, 10:04 AM
* Towers (the monsters) seem to be drawn with a cylinder going up their center that I don't think should be there.

Bluddy
05-01-2019, 01:09 PM
* I'm not sure what the motivation is for only having 2 active stat potions at a time. Potions are fairly useless, and they disappear after death. I'd let potions stack with more allowed -- at least 5.
* I'm not sure how it works right now, but I remember totem/mage buff effects not stacking. I think it would be great to have them stack. An area with many Torva mages should be dangerous because of their combined power. Same for evil totems stacking together.

Bluddy
05-01-2019, 01:35 PM
From my old notes:

* Scavengers should get slower as they get bigger.
* Wisps (I assume they're in this game though I have yet to see them) should boost each others' HP and size as well.
* Leprechauns should have a skill enabled after they steal from you, where they start a visual effect implying a countdown. If you don't get them within 10 seconds, they disappear for good with your money.
* If there are still ego weapons that are good against specific enemies, they should be against groups of enemies or they're too specific to be useful. e.g. demons; mages; flying etc.

Also:
* There used to be a bug that attack and defense percentage displays didn't take into account the difficulty multiplier. Has this been fixed?
* Where did the Ice and Lightning Elementals go? They're not in the game.

Castruccio
05-10-2019, 11:49 PM
*Would it be possible to tone down the frequency of the nemesis taunts? It gets tiresome having to dismiss the blinking icon for taunts all the time.
* For some reason I've twice gotten a fast pace world modifier even though I set the pace to normal in world creation.
*The new combo multiplier on the interface could use a help message in the tutorial to tell players how it works and why it is there.

Shadow
05-13-2019, 12:42 PM
* For some reason I've twice gotten a fast pace world modifier even though I set the pace to normal in world creation.

A few specific scenarios have fast automatically set.

Bluddy
05-14-2019, 01:51 PM
* Models/Objects/Forest/Data/rock3a, 3b, 4a and 4b (based on stone01.skn) don't seem to have shaders. They therefore don't show their normal maps.

* It's also getting pretty difficult to find things, given that you have to look in the base assets files, in the expansion files, and then in the DL files. It would make sense to put the latest version of all files in one assets4.zip now.

Shadow
05-14-2019, 03:38 PM
* It's also getting pretty difficult to find things, given that you have to look in the base assets files, in the expansion files, and then in the DL files. It would make sense to put the latest version of all files in one assets4.zip now.

This happens because those files are shared with Zombasite.

Bluddy
05-14-2019, 03:48 PM
This happens because those files are shared with Zombasite.

I see. So you keep the one tree for both releases.

Since I don't think this'll scale very well, I highly recommend using git, specifically with git LFS, to track your code + assets. Git LFS (large file system) is great where git is weakest, which is in versioning binary files. I've been using it for tracking code with thousands of large assets and it does a great job.

You could make a repo with a zombasite branch and a dinslegacy branch, and they would share the same assets and code where appropriate. You'd then create the zip files with a script upon each release.

Arrhtheis
05-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Hi to all, newbie Soldak games admirer here.

Not a feature request per se but a heartfelt plea: please, don't drop WinXP support as long as possible.

Yes, I know, it's 'obsolete, out of sales, not supported by Microsoft, Steam, GOG and everyone else anymore, used by only 0,000000001% of ancient undead dinosaur users, bad, bad OS, blah-blah' but it's still the last user-friendly Microsoft OS and the best one for running and playing good old/oldschool games (and Soldak games are undoubtedly oldschool and undescribably good).

Thanks a lot for your amazing games!

P.S. Waiting for Din's Legacy appear on GOG.

Arrhtheis
05-26-2019, 10:42 AM
Oh, and one more thing: is it possible to get from somewhere this title image of Din's Legacy in decent resolution but not inscripted with 'Din's Legacy' words, just the glorious fire-eyed Din? It would be an amazing desktop wallpaper :)

Thanks in advance.

Shadow
05-27-2019, 12:53 PM
Oh, and one more thing: is it possible to get from somewhere this title image of Din's Legacy in decent resolution but not inscripted with 'Din's Legacy' words, just the glorious fire-eyed Din? It would be an amazing desktop wallpaper :)

Do you mean this one? - http://www.soldak.com/images/DinsLegacy1920x1080NoLogo.jpg

Arrhtheis
05-27-2019, 01:56 PM
Do you mean this one?

Wow, thanks a lot! Yes, it is one I meant. Simple but very expressive art. Is it your own work?
Ah, if I could draw something more sophisticated than little houses, little men and sun-faces for my children... :D Well, and little horses too. Or is it little dogs?

I couldn't help but acquire Din's Legacy on Steam (can't wait for it to come on GOG, though I will definitely purchase it there too, I don't like Steam much and I have all other Soldak games on GOG). So the nights are going to be sleepless, at least their first halves.

Shadow
05-27-2019, 03:13 PM
Is it your own work?

No, I'm definitely not an artist. That would be Patrick's work.

Arrhtheis
05-28-2019, 04:08 AM
Well, the nights will be sleepless indeed, but for another reason :)

I am probably just not an alpha/beta player (in fact it is the first time in my 25-years gaming career I ever play a game in its not finished state). So I just can't give any sensible feedback, Din's Legacy as for now seems too unfinished for me :) I was forced to get back to Din's Curse and Zombasite.

And something is definitely wrong with graphics in DL. Maybe because it's still alpha? Even on max settings everything looks messy and I don't know how to say it in English... 'sandy'?, 'grainy'? Shadows are misplaced and ragged sometimes, colors are flat and drab, foliage is blurred. The UI elements look worse than even in Din's Curse, let alone Zombasite. Everyting is like, I don't know... fuzzy?

Moreover, the Steam version seems not to be DRM-free and refused to run without Steam on my oldschool gaming PC (that even has no Internet connection that I don't need there, I play only single and old games mainly), so I had to use Steam emulators just to make DL run. So I will wait for it to come to GOG in 1.00 state, sorry :)

rainbow
05-30-2019, 05:40 PM
Would you please have the NPCs in town heal themselves at the healing alter (or whatever its called) when they are low on hp? It's kind of funny that the NPCs are low on hp due to monster attacks and never heal themselves when there is a healing alter in town.

Thank you.

Throwback
06-08-2019, 11:01 AM
I guess this is where I post feedback that may/may not be feature requests:

- New terrain elevation changes are great, but I'd like to see them toned down a bit. Make the sharp elevation changes far less frequent, or reduce the maximum value somewhat.

- if I use a mutation point, I will get one additional brand new skill (I think). This is a negative outcome for the player, because any beneficial minor mutations are now spread across more skills (less likely to be on the ones I want). The effect is that using a mutation point is for me a very rare occurrence. I guess this could change as I get better, but I'd really love the option to spend a second mutation point to not get that bonus skill.

- 'blending' of levels/areas (Ie X hills of Y). Thanks, I hate it. Cool concept, in practice means sometimes I have no idea where the rest of the area is. Can't say I'm a huge fan at this early point.

- Max area size is enormous. I'd love to see it toned down a bit, exploring a massive area is kind of frustrating. The secret tunnels are really cool though.

- Defender starts with club passive and a clear path to using the 'gut' skill. Very odd thematically.

- Demonologist starts with wand passive and a level 1 melee skill.

- Defender has a 6-point skill that relies on getting hit, but the rest of the kit focuses on not getting hit. Also I think the tooltip for defender says you get riposte, which is a zombasite skill that activates on block. I think that makes more sense. Either way if I recall correctly there is a mismatch between the tooltip and the in-game skill.

- 2 Defender shield blocking skills say give the tooltip as 'on miss: X effect'. This is very confusing to read - it should say 'on block: X effect'.

Finally, this game is great and I love it!

Throwback
06-10-2019, 08:07 AM
A couple more:

- I had a 'kill your nemesis' win condition. However a couple of minutes into the scenario something other than me killed my nemesis. This caused me to fail the scenario, even though the loss conditions were not met (loss of steward, apothecary & warmaster). I have no doubt you have set up a failsafe (error handling? exception handling? Code is rusty...) so that situations where neither condition is met and the scenario cannot be completed result in a loss. Can I suggest you change this to default to a win, for the player's sake.

- Acid is still one of the game's worst mechanics. It damages armour, thus penalizing melee (which is probably fine given how strong melee is this time round). However, what makes it really bad is that it's *invisible* under a lot of ground cover. I don't know if you will have to recode things significantly, but damn this is an infuriating 'quirk' that could use a fix. I assume it's hard to do since it was also a significant issue in zombasite. This is absolutely a 'pain point' and I think it's worth doing the work.

- maps with multiple clans on them result in many fast clan eliminations. It's weird, and it clutters up my relations screen with no context.

able47
06-15-2019, 06:01 PM
Hi, this might seem totally random (I love what you've tried to do with your games btw)...but I gotta mention this. I've always fiddled with games, I spent a decade coding physics and stuff. I really appreciate your games' modding flexibility, but, when modding your games in the past I've always run into issues with targeting, mouse/keyboard control options and AI limitations.

I can understand why that is, considering the focus of your games, but even if this is entirely selfish I have to suggest you look at scripting options for controls (it'll totally open up modding/gameplay abilities), for instance having scripting abilities to have say the mouse cursor control representing the equivalent of a typical top-down(-ish) shooter (trust me, I tried and I kinda got it right in drox operative and zombasite, but it was still a bit odd, unfortunately I don't quite remember in what way...but something about the mouse buttons/skills/targeting iirc).

Best of luck with your games!

*PS. Maybe all of that is irrelevant, but I dunno, since I haven't been able to play Din's Legacy.

KafkaExMachina
06-20-2019, 12:01 PM
A couple feature requests:

Legacy Zombisite mechanics - please either strip or utilize. Preferably utilize.

Such as - town gates are important. Let us either replace/repair them or let the NPCs do so in a timely manner. Getting the drops during one of those darn-it-where-is-that-freaking-dungeon worlds when you really need a bit of buffer for the town after a spider ate the originals is just insulting. :D

Relics: Relics were neat. I kind of want them to return.

Happiness: Give us a way to modify/improve it or just remove it altogether. It's exceptionally frustrating to have to hope and pray you get a useful NPC with "Hates Zombies" or "Hates Dogs" to keep that happiness up because we don't have realistic ways of managing it.

Player Clans: In truth, the town managing aspects of Zombisite were a blast - especially the pokey little bits. Like manipulating two NPCs into a relationship like a dirty, dirty shipper. If it's not already in the game (which it might be) maybe have a quest/achievement that lets a player "win" one of the goals of DL and perm join a clan? So each time they go to a new area they have the option of letting the starting town be the joined clan, which they are a member of?

Maybe unlock via "win X scenarios while allied to <clan>" achievement?

Also, maybe let us take more than one NPC (the current follower) per scenario change?

Starting Town Tiles: Since "food" is no longer a goal, perhaps the starting towns should have some "crop" floor tiles? This can allow for some more quest generation - like if a fire starts and burns down all the crops "seeds" need to be grabbed via quest. This regenerates the tiles. Perhaps a happiness mod for the town based on the # of crop tiles (full rations Zombisite modifier)?

Destro*
06-20-2019, 04:35 PM
With the loss of relics, I would have loved to see another tier of item below unique that could give an extra mod slot on items. This would keep the balance somewhat comparable to what existed in Zombasite, in terms of mod availability.

However, it was always hard to justify due to the overall ease of the game.

Now, with the game actually having real difficulty in the end-game, and real-difficulty being a focus it seems, it would be nice to see the power that relics gave return in some form.

Shadow
06-20-2019, 05:01 PM
I find your timing amusing since I added doors and relics back in this morning. :)

rainbow
06-20-2019, 06:16 PM
Would you please have towns people heal themselves at the healing pillar/alter (whatever it's called)? Thank you.

Shadow
06-21-2019, 01:52 PM
Would you please have towns people heal themselves at the healing pillar/alter (whatever it's called)? Thank you.

The do heal at the healthstone if you happen to walk near it, but I do have it on the list to see if I can improve that.

Destro*
06-21-2019, 03:12 PM
Perhaps just make healthstone healing an aura effect in a small range? Since auras exist in the game now, I think that it would make a lot of sense.

Though, I don't know how you feel about people being able to easily heal while in combat. If that's a problem, then it might be fair to give Healthstones a 'Shared Life' type effect, so that they have a pool of health to distribute to nearby allies that has to regenerate over time. That would be a very elegant solution imho. But, that's just one solution. *shrug*

Throwback
06-24-2019, 07:28 AM
Can we have a 2nd skill bar?

I have a minstrel (4 auras I think?) crossed with fire mage (fire shield & fire elemental) and I've just picked up raise skeleton and another useful skill. Add in health and mana and I'm already using more slots than I have.

Also, I *hate* that I can't rebind the 1 key. Please let me.

Shadow
06-24-2019, 02:02 PM
Also, I *hate* that I can't rebind the 1 key. Please let me.

You actually can, it's just limited to attacks if I remember correctly.

Throwback
06-24-2019, 05:57 PM
Hmmm, so it is. It seems like a very strange restriction, but I'll work with it.

Throwback
06-27-2019, 02:45 AM
Requests:

- the ability to suppress known skills for the next levelup, with a money cost or refundable skill point cost (i.e. how mutations work). The skill screen gets ridiculously cluttered.

- alternative skill fix: Maximum limit on the number of skills known on each of the three skill pages. Once you hit the limit, you don't get the extra Class skill every time you mutate and can't learn new Class skills via random mutation.

- put NPC companions and summons in the same 'group' for spells & items. Minstrel class, as far as I can tell, suffers hugely by only having 1 NPC that can travel with them. You can mix with necromancer but a bunch of skills & effects don't work for both a town NPC and a summon. This might be premature because I don't have all the classes unlocked yet.

Shadow
06-27-2019, 06:35 PM
- put NPC companions and summons in the same 'group' for spells & items. Minstrel class, as far as I can tell, suffers hugely by only having 1 NPC that can travel with them. You can mix with necromancer but a bunch of skills & effects don't work for both a town NPC and a summon. This might be premature because I don't have all the classes unlocked yet.

What skills are not working as you would expect?

Throwback
06-28-2019, 03:33 AM
What skills are not working as you would expect?

Not that they aren't working as I would expect, but that without 2 followers I don't feel like they give enough power. I still have quite a few classes to unlock though so I might be missing a good summon.

The skills I was thinking of that I was disappointed by were the necromancy minion buff, and the item buff that gives +damage to minions (rather than allies), combined with a general sense that the minstrel's buffs don't seem very good without a large number of targets to affect. I'm very aware that I don't have the same overview of the game as you so I'm really only putting it forward as a suggestion for your knowledgeable consideration.

The same caveat goes for my suggestion about limiting the number of possible skills on the skills page - as I gain experience I'm realising I might like to fill quite a number of those slots with cheap passives.

So yeah, thoughts only without the omniscient perspective you have of the game.

Destro*
07-03-2019, 08:34 PM
The duel scenario almost never spawns a monster to kill in level 0-2 zones after you run it a few times and kill the monster.

Destro*
07-04-2019, 09:04 PM
I also emailed a consistent crash that I get in the game involving Sven's Silver Ring.

Destro*
07-05-2019, 11:04 AM
I did a level 91 character with hardcore permanent before dying. It was very challenging. And, it was fun at least up until level 80, when the leveling became very slow.

I probably won't do another permanent run. The fact that you can't remove mutations makes it nearly impossible to get passives since the invisible linkage between 'total passives, skills and mutations' gets flooded with useless mutations. This ultimately just makes it very hard to scale your health. I'd definitely like to see mutation count not influence your passive count in any way.

I theorycrafted that maybe when you level up you can mutate your character to potentially get passives of your choice before a mutation spawns from mutation leveling... but trying to figure out all those mechanics doesn't appeal to me.

I acquired Lucky + Shared Life, which kept me alive for almost everything. As long as you don't get bursted with a bunch of hits instantly, you can't die. But, too many hits in a burst kills you.

Gaeous form was nice until doing the real hard content, when 75% mititation on 20k+ hits is still 5k (I had 5k health). I never thought Gaseous Form would be useless, lol. Though, I guess the real problem was the you can only get 75% mitigation. If you could hit 95%, that would make things more reasonable. (5% of 20k is 1k, which while high, would be way more manageable (20%) of my hp).

In the end, I went into level 200 zones and basically suicided by entering a clan and tanking a lot of damage at once. I was too bored to play seriously at that point, lol.

Last comment is that Quills mutation is cancer. It's probably worth rerolling your character if you ever get that before level 80, considering how much of an impact it will have on your run. I got it at like level 30, and really should have rerolled.

Uh, other last notes. Forked mutation is insane on projectiles (like Fiery Blast). Last Man Standing and then trading clans for information on other clans is overpowered for getting gold. And, that's all for now. gg.

edit: It would also be nice if character export stated the difficulty mods you chose too. ^^

SGLevel 91 Summoner / Sorcerer / Dark Templar (Mutated level 172) (Din's Legend)Stats

Health: 0 / 2332
Mana: 0 / 1
Mutation Points: 228

Attack: 1168
Defense: 680
Armor: 1714

Damage: 149 - 356
DPS: 191.3

Money: 20GP 93SP 26CP

Attributes

Strength: 294
Dexterity: 32
Vitality: 226
Intelligence: 36
Spirit: 5

Points Left: 0

Resistances

Fire Resistance: 582
Cold Resistance: 341
Poison & Acid Resistance: 217
Lightning Resistance: 93
Magic Resistance: 6
Zombie Resistance: 5

Skills

Elemental Harmony lvl 3
Mutation: Shared Life lvl 1
Strength of Stone and Unholy Vitality lvl 7
Fire Resistance (Protection) and Focus: Absorb Damage lvl 5
Enduring Dark Ritual lvl 18
Gaseous Form and Barkskin lvl 21
Forking Fiery Blast of Best Friend lvl 6
Minion Tactics lvl 15
Quick Poison Resistance (Protection) and Focus: Deal Damage lvl 5
Efficient Provoke Minions of Endurance lvl 28
Lightning Resistance (Protection) and Possession lvl 5
Hardiness (Blessing) and Channeling lvl 5
Prayer and Enchanted Blades lvl 12
Quick Summon Scree of Defense lvl 43
Mutation: Mana Shield lvl 1
Enduring Blade of Darkness lvl 3
Plate Armor lvl 3
Efficient Unholy Vitality lvl 11
Mutation: Quills lvl 1
Mutation: Fleet of Foot lvl 1
Mutation: Dark Elf Killer lvl 1
Mutation: Alchemist lvl 1
Mutation: Fire Imbued lvl 1
Diseasing Hell Storm of Nature's Revenge lvl 4
Mutation: Lucky lvl 1
Mutation: Scholar lvl 1
Mutation: Precognition lvl 1
Mutation: Super Strong lvl 1
Mutation: Hemophilia lvl 1
Sprint and Prayer lvl 10
Mutation: Blood Magic lvl 1
Inspire Greatness lvl 9
lvl 1
Quick Teleport lvl 3
Mutation: Vampire lvl 1
Mutation: Tempest lvl 1
Mutation: Telekinesis lvl 1
Mutation: Orc Killer lvl 1
Magic Shield and Concentration: Speed lvl 10
Mutation: Spider Killer lvl 1
Mutation: Charged lvl 1
Mutation: Imp Killer lvl 1

Equipment

Excellent Mithril Scale Helmet of Exploits
Type: Helmet
Rarity: Common Basic Type: Mail

Durability 117 / 125
211 armor
+183.7% Combat Experience
+3% armor
Requires 287 Strength
Requires armor skill: Mail
Sell value: 1SP 87CP
Retail value: 77SP 61CP

Necklace Sadistic Minion
Type: Necklace
Rarity: Common

+208.2% Minion Damage
Requires level 82
Sell value: 1SP 81CP
Retail value: 8SP 60CP

Stonepauldron
Type: Shoulders
Rarity: Very Rare Basic Type: Plate

Durability 71 / 103
179 armor
+93 Fire Resistance
+25 Cold Resistance
+107 Poison & Acid Resistance
+25 Lightning Resistance
+202.9% Combat Experience
+10% armor
Requires 362 Strength (have 294)
Requires armor skill: Plate
Sell value: 8SP 67CP
Retail value: 4GP 10SP 92CP

Demonwrap
Type: Back
Rarity: Very Rare Basic Type: Cape

Durability 58 / 70
69 armor
+54 Defense
+118.1% Minion Armor
+125.1% Minion Damage
+10% armor
Passive skill: Level 17 Shield Mastery
Shield Mastery - Level 17

When using a shield, you receive a defense bonus.

Passive skill

Requires: Shield

+85% Defense

Requires level 65
Requires skill: Cape
Sell value: 1SP 24CP
Retail value: 54SP 37CP

Krakenbracers
Type: Bracers
Rarity: Rare Basic Type: Mail

Durability 26 / 88
Can't be repaired
297 armor
Crystal: +25% armor bonus, can't be repaired
+172.3% Combat Experience
+297% armor
Requires 271 Strength
Sell value: 2SP 66CP
Retail value: 41SP 18CP

Duskclaw
Type: Gloves

Durability 79 / 90
132 armor
+90 Fire Resistance
+39 Light Intensity
+197.2% Minion Damage
+8% armor
Requires 245 Strength
Sell value: 2SP 98CP
Retail value: 1GP 27SP 22CP

Havocrope
Type: Belt
Rarity: Rare Basic Type: Plate

Durability 37 / 87
73 armor
+352 Attack
+101.7% Heal
+191.4% Minion Damage
+8% armor
Requires 329 Strength (have 294)
Sell value: 1SP 66CP
Retail value: 43SP 67CP

Blightchausses
Type: Greaves
Rarity: Very Rare Basic Type: Plate

Durability 66 / 78
171 armor
+27 Dexterity
+69 Cold Resistance
+212.1% Combat Experience
+184.0% Minion Armor
+10% armor
Requires 367 Strength (have 294)
Sell value: 4SP 65CP
Retail value: 2GP 1SP 78CP

Sinisterstance
Type: Boots

Durability 92 / 96
184 armor
+77 Fire Resistance
+93 Cold Resistance
+211.3% Combat Experience
+8% armor
Requires 271 Strength
Sell value: 6SP 63CP
Retail value: 2GP 70SP 97CP

Pinpoint Ring of Enchanting
Type: Ring
Rarity: Uncommon

+233 Attack
-35.7% Cast Time
Requires level 47
Sell value: 3SP 7CP
Retail value: 18SP 43CP

Soulringlet
Type: Ring
Rarity: Very Rare

+35 Maximum Mana
+52% Find Extra Money
+22.1% Lightning Damage
+56.6% Minion Damage
Requires level 17
Sell value: 1SP 78CP
Retail value: 8SP 42CP

Brimstone
Type: Jewelry
Rarity: Artifact

+64 Max Health
+96 Fire Resistance
+93.2% Minion Max Health
+88.7% Minion Damage
9.6% chance to cast level 13 Hell Storm when hit
Hell Storm - Level 13

Creates a storm of hellfire.

+13% Spell Damage (Passive)
+39% Fire Damage (Passive)
44 - 121 Fire damage
Time: 0.56 seconds
Reuse time: 5 seconds
16.5 damage per second

Requires level 47
Sell value: 9SP 54CP
Retail value: 3GP 81SP 69CP

Brimstone
Type: Jewelry
Rarity: Elite

+69 Max Health
+48 Fire Resistance
+109.7% Minion Max Health
+88.4% Minion Damage
8.1% chance to cast level 11 Hell Storm when hit
Hell Storm - Level 11

Creates a storm of hellfire.

+11% Spell Damage (Passive)
+33% Fire Damage (Passive)
38 - 104 Fire damage
Time: 0.56 seconds
Reuse time: 5 seconds
14.2 damage per second

Requires level 47
Sell value: 5SP 73CP
Retail value: 2GP 29SP 24CP

Ruby Mithril Double Flail of Exploits
Type: One-Handed Weapon
Rarity: Uncommon Basic Type: Mace

Durability 40 / 81
48 to 113 Damage Speed 1.32
61.0 damage per second
+77 Fire Resistance
1.0% chance of Crushing Blow
+188.9% Combat Experience
+5% damage
Requires 384 Strength (have 294)
Requires weapon skill: Mace
Sell value: 2SP 42CP
Retail value: 1GP 29SP 95CP

Boneprotector
Type: Shield
Rarity: Rare Basic Type: Shield

Durability 80 / 81
383 defense
+24 Fire Resistance
+24 Cold Resistance
+24 Poison & Acid Resistance
+24 Lightning Resistance
+186.3% Minion Damage
Requires 265 Strength
Level and attribute requirements 10.0% lower
Requires skill: Shield
Sell value: 3SP 1CP
Retail value: 1GP 21SP 36CP

Fun stats

Kills: 9114
Deaths: 1
Kills Per Death: 9114

Gold Found: 32GP 36SP 97CP
Time Played: 7h 17m 17s
Max Damage Dealt: 880
Max Damage Taken: 3794
Max Damage Dealt At Once: 1684
Max Health Healed: 2879
Best Trap Disarmed: lvl 100

Equipment Worth: 21GP 25SP 41CP
Inventory Worth: 138GP 72SP 29CP
Quests Solved: 149
Secrets Found: 67

Strongest Monster Defeated: Pixie Big Sister (Lvl 175)
Toughest Battle Won: Valta Avatar (Lvl 103) at Lvl 74
Strongest Monster Killed By: Huge Mamba Naga Priest of Bulk (Lvl 170)
Weakest Monster Killed By: Huge Mamba Naga Priest of Bulk (Lvl 170)

Scenarios Won: 14
Scenarios Lost: 2
Areas Abandoned: 198
Clans Destroyed: 98

Din's Legacy / Soldak Entertainment (http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Legacy/Overview.html)

Throwback
07-06-2019, 11:49 PM
I can access the Relations screen by pressing 'R' (default). If there is a message from an NPC, it will show it. I can then exit the same screen by pressing 'R', but it doesn't remove the blinking 'you have a message' notification and I will still get the NPC message the next time I go to the Relations screen. The only way to remove the message entirely is by hitting the 'done' button at the bottom of the message with a mouse click.

I get messages all the time from NPCs and I just want to double-tap R to get on with the game (or the holy grail of turning off NPC notifications...). Please fix.

Assassin skill Death Blow seems like a cool idea, until you realise the poison cloud also hurts you. Please change so it will not damage the player or followers, until then charged strike is infinitely better aoe.

Castruccio
07-13-2019, 01:37 AM
What do ancient trees do (I got a message I found one)? How do you know an ancient tree from a regular tree? Also got a message about a magical archway being discovered. Not sure what that did.

Also, it might be cool if, when you are fighting beside a spawned avatar, the avatar could resurrect you if you die by them.

Castruccio
07-13-2019, 12:46 PM
The Text in one of the menus overlaps with the border of the menu in a way that looks sloppy. You may want to shrink the font size so there is no overlap. See attached.

Shadow
07-15-2019, 12:16 PM
What do ancient trees do (I got a message I found one)? How do you know an ancient tree from a regular tree? Also got a message about a magical archway being discovered. Not sure what that did.

Neither of them does anything directly. An ancient tree is generally a holy location and usually has at least one altar near it. Mystic archways can be similar, but not always.

hella
07-22-2019, 09:23 PM
i've been playing multiplayer lately and i've noticed a few bugs!

the most significant of them so far is where map generation isn't in sync. like... the map my game generates is different than the map the other person connected to my server is on.

i'm serving the game in linux (kde neon, which is just ubuntu 18.04 with kde plasma -- if you have an ubuntu install it's functionally the exact same thing) and the person i'm playing with is using windows 7. i'm not sure if it has to do with us using different operating systems -- i don't have access to a windows machine at the moment to rule that out :(

on some scenarios -- usually smaller ones like battle(?) where there are waves that spawn -- the disparity is the most severe. it happens on larger ones too, but on scenarios like dark orc invasion it seems like it happens less, if at all. when it's happened, areas will have different names and map generation will be totally different -- we'll see each other walk through walls, etc.

this is my map for a battle scenario (i forget if it's actually called "battle" -- there are waves of enemies that spawn and you have to survive ~15 minutes):

https://i.imgur.com/0MAP4nl.png

this is the map the person i was playing with was on instead:

https://i.imgur.com/SzLLbxt.png

this led to stuff like their reward chest spawning in a wall and teleport traps teleporting them into walls. it was surprisingly playable otherwise, even though we were on different maps haha

also, ice pool generation can get out of control sometimes. here's a screenshot of an instance where it dragged the game to a halt (the game was drawing one frame every ~5 seconds for both of us) -- i'll link to it because it's pretty wide: https://i.imgur.com/BJkr8OG.jpg

also this one is way more minor, but steelcage (a unique chest plate armor) just looks like the default shirt appearance instead of plate armor. like when i put it on, it looks the same as wearing no armor. it's a shame because it's really good for my character right now and i want to look cool hahah

sorry for the big load of bug reports... it's a really great game though and i've been playing it a lot lately!

Destro*
07-22-2019, 10:27 PM
Wow, that's one hell of a crazy bug! Jeez, I can't even imagine the state of the netcode for out-of-sync map generation to occur and actually.... work. O.O. I guess there is just no cross-client verification on anything!

I hope that the problem is as simple as map seeds not being synchronized, but who knows! Good luck on getting that one fixed, looool

hella
07-23-2019, 02:08 AM
Wow, that's one hell of a crazy bug!

yeah, i feel kinda bad for reporting it because i have no idea how much work it would take to fix :(

i just played a raiders scenario in multiplayer for a few hours (it got out of hand and took a while to clean up) and that was synced perfectly, at least! it seems to be mostly the smaller ones -- the scenarios that are like small arenas that spawn waves are basically always out of sync.

also from playing multiplayer i had some thoughts for multiplayer QoL improvements!

with a lot of summons or npcs around, it's sort of easy to lose track of other players. we end up saying "oh sorry, i thought you were following me" a lot, haha. i was thinking it could be an option to enable an always-on outline around other players -- i'm not sure what color, since they get a green outline when you hover over them.

when you go to a gate, it would be nice if it indicated which areas have players in them. like you know how it shows an asterisk when there's a quest in that area? maybe it could show a P if there's a player there.

or... this would be kind of a radical change, but it could be nice to have an option to teleport directly to a player from the gate (as if they were a location) like in diablo 3.

i'm not sure if it's just how i play, but i seem to have a lot fewer armor scraps than anything else. i tend to have a surplus of grindstones in comparison -- the drop rates might need some tweaking. maybe fewer grindstones, more armor scraps?

this is apropos of nothing (and might be too hand-holdy) but i thought that enemies and objects that are quest-relevant could have some sort of small icon (or glyph like an asterisk) floating over them. there might end up being like a hundred of those icons on screen at once, though.

multiplayer has been a lot of fun! this game really shines in multiplayer -- the chaos and being unable to pause is pretty entertaining, haha

Shadow
07-23-2019, 01:37 PM
the most significant of them so far is where map generation isn't in sync. like... the map my game generates is different than the map the other person connected to my server is on.

Do you have a save of one of these maps you could send me?

hella
07-23-2019, 07:06 PM
Do you have a save of one of these maps you could send me?

sure, here's a zip of a battle map that was out of sync just now -- i wasn't sure if you need the .wld or the .map so i put both in there. it was called Tigerpaw Tangle for me, and the person i've been playing with saw it as Shadowy [something] Tangle -- they don't have a copy of it, but i assume you don't get one if you're just a client

thanks for taking a look at this! sorry for the hassle if it's linux specific -- it's really a fantastic linux port and i deeply appreciate that you maintain it!

also, we played a siege scenario that was perfect. the map generation desync seems to happen in "small" maps with timers like battle -- the arena style ones

hella
07-23-2019, 07:22 PM
more bugs -- i'm sorry for the deluge of bug reports, haha :(

on the bright side we've been finding so many bugs because we've been playing it so much! it's been a lot of fun

we did a gauntlet scenario in multiplayer where the map goal was to get to level 7 of the dungeon, but we both spawned by a main gate that had level 7 as a teleport location. so we teleported there and beat the scenario basically instantly.

i'm not sure what the map was called -- if the map files are helpful for tracking down stuff like this, i'll definitely take notes and keep them around in the future. i'll try another gauntlet scenario asap and see if i can reproduce it.

also, unique skills all seem to be fireball. the person i'm playing with is doing mostly summons and got ciglio's skeleton archers and got really excited about it but found out it's just fireball -- it has a fireball mutation, and they tried casting it and everything. they also got greta's healing, which was the same, and i got raven's swarm.

https://i.imgur.com/jkdHk9b.png

https://i.imgur.com/RHcsQpp.png

https://i.imgur.com/S3HWKiM.png

and this is super minor and probably isn't even a bug, but it seems like a font is different in linux. skill titles (e.g. Raven's Swarm) on my computer are in a sans serif font, but they're in a serif font in the windows version.

there's been some occasional z-fighting in patches on the ground too, but it seems really inconsistent when it happens. it wasn't happening for me much. it might be a known issue already, but the person i'm playing with took a screenshot of one instance

https://i.imgur.com/ga0GLYu.png

rainbow
07-24-2019, 08:29 PM
The Towns People who are low on health still don't seem to use the health stone, much.

Also, would you please add a sort inventory button?

Thank you.

hella
07-27-2019, 08:38 AM
some minor QoL ideas!

it'd be nice if the cardinal directions were labeled on the minimap border, given the isometric perspective -- i.e. north on the upper right part of the circle, etc. it's mostly just relevant for when there's an event like the east door being destroyed, or you want to tell someone you're playing with where to go -- i end up saying "it's down and to the left" a lot just for clarity's sake instead of "it's south"

i was going to modify the graphic myself, but i couldn't figure out how to bring down the console to do buildTgas (if it works the same as din's curse, anyway)

also, given how sprawling some areas can be, it could be nice to have an option to pay to find the gate, like you can search for the location of a quest objective. maybe the cost could scale based on how large the area is or how much you have explored

imo multiplayer is where this game really shines. with the random scenarios and the mutation system and everything i think it's the closest an rpg has gotten to mario party, as weird as that sounds haha

Shadow
07-29-2019, 11:39 AM
i was going to modify the graphic myself, but i couldn't figure out how to bring down the console to do buildTgas (if it works the same as din's curse, anyway)

There is an option on the UI options screen to turn on the console. Until it is turned on, the ~ key doesn't do anything.

hella
07-30-2019, 09:56 AM
There is an option on the UI options screen to turn on the console. Until it is turned on, the ~ key doesn't do anything.

oh duh -- i can't believe i missed that. fantastic, thank you!

https://i.imgur.com/xtaoTsf.png

slapped this together. if you want to use it that's cool, but if not, that's fine too!

edit: also, i found a bug. a required quest for the scenario was to solve an uprising of orc berserkers, but they're all actually changelings so none of the kills count for the quest -- it can't be completed. i spent like 30 minutes killing orc berserkers just to be sure, haha

oh yeah, i almost forgot -- ciglio's skeleton archers seems to be identical to normal skeleton archers. the person i'm playing with has both available and everything listed in the tooltip is the same between both of them. greta's healing also seems identical to lesser heal

Bluddy
08-08-2019, 06:06 PM
I don't think I remembered to report this: all skeleton monsters don't have normal maps.

Also, in general, metallic materials are the only things that change the color of specular reflections. I believe the metallic chests of various kinds (gold, bronze) don't have a colored specular map, though they should. Not having that makes them lose some of their realism.

Shadow
08-08-2019, 07:31 PM
I don't think I remembered to report this: all skeleton monsters don't have normal maps.

I'm not sure how that got through for so long.

Notorious
08-22-2019, 01:04 PM
Just played the demo for a few hours. Still getting my head around how it's different to Zombasite. Noticed a few bugs
- clan icon that had mismatched top and bottom (bottom half matched another clan icon)
- items in town armory given to the bulletin board (huh?)
- no bulletin board (as far as I could see) in my town
- vendor in town wandered off while I was trading with him

And a QoL request: when I am looking at my NPC's equipment, disable comparison with my equipment, or even better, allow comparison of items in my bags with his/her equipment. This could be a toggle button.

Thanks for reading.

Bluddy
08-22-2019, 01:17 PM
- no bulletin board (as far as I could see) in my town

Many scenarios in DL have the Din's Curse design of 3 main questgivers (Warmaster, Apothecary, Steward) who need to be protected for the town to survive. If one dies, a quest should pop up to get find a new questgiver of that type. If all 3 die, you lose the scenario.

Shadow
08-22-2019, 06:05 PM
- clan icon that had mismatched top and bottom (bottom half matched another clan icon)

That one is one purpose. It's a random clan with random traits so unlike the other clans you don't know exactly what to expect.

Destro*
08-22-2019, 06:37 PM
Expect the unexpected!

Notorious
08-23-2019, 05:20 AM
That one is one purpose. It's a random clan with random traits so unlike the other clans you don't know exactly what to expect.

Okay... it looks really weird and like a graphics error rather than on purpose. Why not have a separate icon for "random clan"?

Shadow
08-23-2019, 11:48 AM
Okay... it looks really weird and like a graphics error rather than on purpose. Why not have a separate icon for "random clan"?

I just thought it was an interesting way to show that they could be good or evil (half a good clan icon or half an evil clan icon). Technically they can be anywhere in between also.

jeeplaw
08-23-2019, 08:36 PM
Did you do away with "turn off zombies" as a feature before loading a new game? Loved the ability to do that as that's something I don't want to deal with in any of the games (zombasite included lol).

Roswitha
08-24-2019, 01:24 AM
Just got and played the demo. A lot of familiar things and some different things. I had a major lag problem that spoiled things a bit (which may say more about my system than it does about the game). I did turn the graphics to the fastest setting, but it didn't seem to help much, and the fps wasn't very high.

Feature request. For the quest givers, can you please include the area on the quest line? I have about 12 uprisings that all look the same, and it's hard to know which ones to choose. It would also be handy to have the option to sort the quests by area, to make it easier to choose. For a stretch goal, what about an option to sort the quests by the direction of the area (N, NE, E, SE, etc.)? I'm still having trouble keeping track of areas, despite the map.

I'm glad I finally got to play. :)

Bluddy
09-02-2019, 10:40 AM
I've been playing with a Berserk skill-based character:

- I think the Berserk skill's debuff should stack: the more you use it repeatedly, the lower your defense goes. Otherwise, I can just keep using it all the time, and it's fast too. Alternatively, it should have a cooldown.

- Every monster I hit with this skill goes flying back. Which is cool, but excessive. I think when monsters go flying back, there should be a random chance of it happening. If it happens all the time it's too predictable. Additionally, larger monsters shouldn't really fly back -- a 'CannotFlyBack 1' (or whatever term the code uses) should be put on large monsters and especially giant-ized ones.

Shadow
09-02-2019, 02:20 PM
- Every monster I hit with this skill goes flying back. Which is cool, but excessive. I think when monsters go flying back, there should be a random chance of it happening. If it happens all the time it's too predictable. Additionally, larger monsters shouldn't really fly back -- a 'CannotFlyBack 1' (or whatever term the code uses) should be put on large monsters and especially giant-ized ones.

Knockback is based on damage compared to their max health and does take into account their weight.

Bluddy
09-03-2019, 06:06 PM
From chat on discord, it seems folks mostly agree that dark orcs are too powerful. This applies mostly to Zombasite, where the player is weaker and the clan can be wiped out, but also obviously to DL, which inherits these monsters.

The biggest issue seems to be with dark orc scouts, who summon a. too many orcs b. can summon other scouts, who will summon more scouts c. are too quick to use their ambush ability.

a. It looks like they're currently tuned to summon 4-5 orcs. This could be changed to be anywhere from 1 to 5 to be more reasonable.
b. Is fine once you allow the greater range or numbers.
c. Logically, you should be able to take out the scouts before they summon an ambush. I don't know if you want to do this with morale or with a different health-based command, but scouts should only summon once they think they're in danger of dying, or once they try to escape.

Bluddy
09-04-2019, 10:56 AM
- It would make sense that chests that are burned would also have a chance of destroying the items inside, just like if you break them. Not sure how that works right now.
- The option 'reset fog' is useless and should be removed IMO. It's just going to screw over a curious new player.

Caal
09-04-2019, 07:02 PM
- The option 'reset fog' is useless and should be removed IMO. It's just going to screw over a curious new player.

Strongly disagree. I use it a lot. It's good for when new quests are introduced into a fully explored area. If the FoW is not reset you can't really tell what areas you have already explored when searching for the new quest.

Bluddy
09-04-2019, 07:20 PM
Strongly disagree. I use it a lot. It's good for when new quests are introduced into a fully explored area. If the FoW is not reset you can't really tell what areas you have already explored when searching for the new quest.

Yeah this was brought up on steam as well. I guess if people are using it then it's fine. There is a mechanism now to pay for a rumored location, but it's interesting that it's a functionality that's used by some people and yet I've never done so myself.

Bluddy
09-05-2019, 02:02 PM
One thing I realized, is that because in this game you can mix and match skills, plus you can come back to an area with a different character, I think it would be really cool if monsters had *high* resistances to specific elements -- much higher than before. The key thing is not to make resistances uniform, but instead to vary them by monster, to make things interesting. For example, the amorphs could have very high lightning + fire resistance (earth being resistant to lightning and fire). Characters wearing metal would have low lightning resistance (I actually wish you could go below 0 and be extra vulnerable, but that's a different story). Mages would be resistant to magic; fire mages highly resistant to fire (I know this part exists, but it can be increased for this game). Furry animals could be resistant to cold; etc. Crank those specific resistances up, making it a challenge to face some monsters with a particular elemental skill.

BQwoobie
09-07-2019, 07:35 PM
Are the monsters who say "I got your gold!" in Din's Legacy? I've been playing for ten hours and haven't seen any.

If they're not, they should be! They're classic.

Destro*
09-07-2019, 11:07 PM
One thing I realized, is that because in this game you can mix and match skills, plus you can come back to an area with a different character, I think it would be really cool if monsters had *high* resistances to specific elements -- much higher than before. The key thing is not to make resistances uniform, but instead to vary them by monster, to make things interesting. For example, the amorphs could have very high lightning + fire resistance (earth being resistant to lightning and fire). Characters wearing metal would have low lightning resistance (I actually wish you could go below 0 and be extra vulnerable, but that's a different story). Mages would be resistant to magic; fire mages highly resistant to fire (I know this part exists, but it can be increased for this game). Furry animals could be resistant to cold; etc. Crank those specific resistances up, making it a challenge to face some monsters with a particular elemental skill.

No no no no no no no. Please no. The game already favors melee so hard. Don't make spell casters any worse. Please, just please.

There is a lot of logic and flavor in your post that I agree with sounds good on paper. But in reality, this just makes non-spell builds even more viable than they already are. And, non-spell builds already dominate the current game for serious optimized play.

Bluddy
09-08-2019, 02:56 PM
No no no no no no no. Please no. The game already favors melee so hard. Don't make spell casters any worse. Please, just please.

There is a lot of logic and flavor in your post that I agree with sounds good on paper. But in reality, this just makes non-spell builds even more viable than they already are. And, non-spell builds already dominate the current game for serious optimized play.

I don't think that's a reason not to apply certain improvements. If melee dominates, there are things to do in that direction, such as increasing monster armor or decreasing the damage boost from STR, etc.

Destro*
09-08-2019, 04:36 PM
I don't think that's a reason not to apply certain improvements. If melee dominates, there are things to do in that direction, such as increasing monster armor or decreasing the damage boost from STR, etc.

You think that further nerfing the already majorly underpowered elemental spell builds in the game isn't a good enough reason to not apply your improvement?

Fair enough. We disagree then.

I'd like to reiterate and clarify that while I think what you said is good idea, the priority of the suggestion should be well after vast balance changes are made to the game. Maybe you agree with that or maybe you don't, but I want to make clear that this would be a disastrous change to the current state of the game. At least in my opinion. Why go backwards before going forward?

Bluddy
09-08-2019, 04:37 PM
Killing off every elemental spell build in the game isn't a good enough reason to apply your improvement?

Fair enough. We disagree then.

It doesn't "kill it off". It makes some monsters harder than others. The same thing should be done for other builds as well.

Destro*
09-08-2019, 05:11 PM
Please see my edit. I edited my post because it didn't convey my thoughts properly and it seems you didn't catch it in your post because of how fast you responded and how long it took me to write my edit. (that was honestly really fast on your part, dang yo). Thanks! Hopefully it comes off less extreme and less disagreeable.

Bluddy
09-08-2019, 05:18 PM
I agree with your point post-edit :)

Destro*
09-12-2019, 06:59 PM
So, I always take about balance in the Discord and forums and I figured I'd make a large wall of text balance post again at some point. And, that's this! Here are some balance changes for a better tomorrow in Din's Legacy. I'll present the problems, nerf ideas and then buff ideas.

Problem: Strength is too good.
- Bpass high-level mail and equipment level requirements to use level 100 mods easy by level 50, and as early as level 35. (We'll ignore this though)
- Scaled too well by basic strength passives. 1,000% increased strength damage at leel 40 is common, and completely outclasses all bonuses that a level 100 spellcaster can acquire before adding anything else.

Nerf Suggestions:
- Reduce strength damage scaling bonus from 0.4% and 0.1% per point of strength to 0.1% and 0.05% per level.

Problem: Vitality outclasses other forms of defense, making playstyles like 'mana shield' and 'shield skill user' lackluster.

Nerf Suggestions:
- Reduce basic health passives from 1.0 and 1.5 vitality per point to 0.3 vitality per point, with 0.1 per level scaling as before.

Buff Suggestions:
- Add a 'shield strength' modifier for items to increase shield strength by a percentage (10 to 200%). This is the most elegant solution I can think of for making barriers viable without a lot of major effort on your part. I think that a UI to show remaining barrier strength would also be extremely beneficial for barrier gameplay, but this would at least make barrier gameplay viable... literally.
- Double the 'Mana Bonus' nodes to 2.0 mana per point of intelligence. This makes them competitive with the vitality basic passives, since vitality has hardiness, unholy strength and food items to boost it up to nutty levels, which intelligence doesn't.

Problem: Spells can be as strong as melee, but they require so much more investment. Outside of wands and staves, spell damage and cast time are hard to come by. The only exception is Inspirre Greatness in the Minstrel tree, which is basically mandatory for any spell caster since it gives a good source of cast time increas.

- Add spell damage % per intelligence basic passives to the spell caster classes.
- Add cast time % passive nodes to the spell caster classes. They can honestly be as low as 3%, with a 1% increase per level, and they would be incredibly competitive picks with other nodes. Plus, you'd really want to level them up, which is great for making players choose where to spend points.
- Add elemental [fire/cold/light/poison/magic] % per spirt basic passives to spirit-oriented classes. (A HUGE spirit buff btw)

Problem: Dexterity and Spirit are just too underpowered. I want to love Dexterity and Spirit, but compared to strength, vitality and intelligence, they are completely outclassed.

For Dex: You don't need the attack passives to support Dexterity to get 100% accuracy (thanks to Weaponmaster's accuracy skill and just a bit on gear). Defense doesn't defend you against spells (I think), but anyway you'd never attempt to scale it up over raw life from vitality. (Might change with vitality rebalances above though!)

For Spirit: Spirit actually has very powerful capabilities, however it is too expensive to pick up, which is why you just pick life instead of it. The resistance nodes being split into four seperate nodes is so costly. And, not having a magic resistance bonus from the skill innately or via a basic passive sucks too.

Buff Suggestions:
- Increase value and scaling of spirit resistance nodes to 1.0 and 0.3.
- Or, combine the nodes and rebalance the costs slightly.
- Add magic resistance nodes (magic resistance per intelligence) to caster classes.
- Make defense apply to spells (if it doesn't, going to test this weekend actually on this haha).
- Add 'critical strike % per dexterity' and/or 'critical strike damage % per dexterity' nodes to the dexterity based classes. (Just an idea to add some incentive to invest into these stats *shrug*)

Outstanding requests (that I never expect to see added, but feel obliged to add):
- Nerf Scavanger (op, reduce duration to Path of Exile levels (20 seconds) or make it even shorter (10 seconds) or just remove from game, haha).
- Nerf Champion (the buff that NPCs cast), also too op.
- Nerf Lucky + Mana shield interaction (also OP)
- Nerf Gaseous Form (op op op)
- Bring back old sprint. (I miss u)
- Make skill use time for melee skills be based on weapon speed. (Yeaaaap)

I wouldn't expect any of these changes to be added in the game, let alone all at once. But, I do hope they inspire some ideas to rebalance the game even more! Or, the sequel to this game!

idontwannaknow0
09-14-2019, 01:28 PM
Good points about Spirit and Dexterity. I see Dexterity as having a niche role. It doesn't seem to work vs spells but I like Defence for raising my EHP, and close range melee characters will benefit from defence the most.

Now that intelligence has the spell damage buff I think raising the deep wounds/magic crushing blow would help Dexterity out. Additionally if it is possible to make attack scale beyond max hit chance and begin to reduce the chance of enemy parry then melee builds will greatly benefit. Skills like lightning blade which bypass defences like parry have an edge.

ulk_underscore
09-14-2019, 02:16 PM
Good suggestions! Some thoughts about that:

-A "Shield Strength" modifier on gear could just be included in the "Healing" modifier (with an explanation in the character screen so new players figure it out eventually).

-A +2 max mana per int skill exists already, but only in the magician class. That leads to more player decisions since you have to think about the tradeoff compared to other classes skills and other chars mutations. Maybe use a similar system for vitality and limit the +1.5 health skill for example to defenders/wardens?

-A random idea to make Dex-based chars more viable and interesting to play: Dex reduces the amount of damage you can take in a single hit.
Example: Max damage taken from any single attack: 99% of Max Health at 5 Dex / caps at 33% at 500 or so Dex. This means you need 4 hits to kill e.g. a very high-level and geared up archer). You also can't be instantly one-shotted by random yellow monsters which makes the game seem more fair. The damage reduction could be limited to physical damage and added to the defense attribute to not devalue Resistances and buff Spirit, I am not sure (maybe the same functionality for magic damage based on spirit? This buffs both of the underused stats).
The mutation that already exists could be changed to something like: "You don't take more than X % of max health within 3 seconds but your max health is decreased".
My reasoning is that Dex is unreliable for defending chars, so you want reliable resistance/armor instead (you still take the full damage if the opponent hits and you will be hit multiple times in a row at some point in time). And like Destro said, much rather than both of these you want just plain health which protects against everything.

idontwannaknow0
09-15-2019, 05:08 PM
Dex is just underpowered, but still used to reduce hit chance to increase EHP. It helps melee characters the most. Even though spells are not affected by defence, so far it is almost always huge physical damage hits that have killed me so it doesn't seem that bad.

I think the biggest issue is builds affected by enemy defence, all of those hits which do 0 damage because of parry etc. It just feels so bad and not well balanced. So dex allowing for that to be heavily reduced and having more deep wound/magic crushing blow love would make it more competitive to strength and intelligence.

Shadow
09-16-2019, 05:08 PM
Are the monsters who say "I got your gold!" in Din's Legacy? I've been playing for ten hours and haven't seen any.

If they're not, they should be! They're classic.

The leprechauns are in Din's Legacy.

Notorious
09-17-2019, 06:22 AM
I now have two worlds with two different characters that I appear unable to win because certain areas of the map are completely walled off. Is this a bug or are there meant to be secret passages that I should find to get to them? I've done a lot of searching but not found any.

There's a game option to make all areas connected, which suggests that inaccessible areas are a gameplay feature? What does this add to the game? I have spent 4 hours per world to win it and now it appears that I can't. I don't like abondoning worlds for this reason, nor wasting my time to find out at the end that the world is unwinnable.

I see two other bugs that others have reported as well:
- a portal that has a different name on the screen than in the portal list (see thread on world map bug)
- characters with a talk icon who have nothing to say, and talking to them does not make the icon go away

Shadow
09-17-2019, 01:23 PM
There's a game option to make all areas connected, which suggests that inaccessible areas are a gameplay feature? What does this add to the game? I have spent 4 hours per world to win it and now it appears that I can't. I don't like abondoning worlds for this reason, nor wasting my time to find out at the end that the world is unwinnable.

There should always be some kind of path to all playable areas. The path might be long and round about though. The option just forces a connection to every neighbor area.

Shadow
09-17-2019, 01:24 PM
Posting or emailing to me your world that is giving you problems would be helpful.

Notorious
09-17-2019, 02:18 PM
Posting or emailing to me your world that is giving you problems would be helpful.

Will do. Which files do you need?

Shadow
09-17-2019, 07:08 PM
Will do. Which files do you need?

At least the wld file, but the chr and map files are helpful also.

Destro*
09-24-2019, 01:31 AM
I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but this happened: https://clips.twitch.tv/SillyShinyCobraPJSalt

It would be nice if the monster spawned at least off the screen if intentional, to at least give you a little bit of time to react. Spawning right on top of you is pretty harsh. :>

Excellion
10-12-2019, 10:12 PM
(Guess who finally figured out there is actually a dedicated thread to report issues? :rolleyes:)

Town Protector scenario - Target can spawn inside the starter town
During the last Town Protector scenario i played the scenario's target NPC managed to spawn inside the starter town, almost directly next to the Healthstone. I would have taken a screenshot but i was honestly too surprised by the entire thing to remember to do so in time. In fact, i didn't even notice it was the target NPC as i was quite distracted by it instantly targetting the Healthstone while i was scrambling to buff myself into some sort of fighting shape to fend it off. Though i suspect i might have set some sort of record by winning the scenario in 14 seconds. :D

Attached "Wakelake.zip" contains the .wld and .map files for the scenario, and the .pwl file for the zone.

Multi-Strike skill uses only weapon-damage when combined with Devastating Blow
One more potential issue with my newest favourite skill, Devastating Blow. When the skill is combined with Multi-Strike the multi-strike damage seems to be based on weapon damage instead of the skills total damage. The attached "Cladincursia.zip" is a character that demonstrates this:

Steps to reproduce:
- Do a normal weapon attack on some random monster. Damage should be about 100 (normal) or 200 (critical)
- With the entire mana pool filled, do a devastating blow attack against some random lone monster. Damage should be around ~7k ish.
- Now do a devastating blow against another monster, and make sure another enemy is in range for Multi-Strike. It is at times somewhat hard to see amongst other procs, but the damage will be around 30-40 a proc (which seems to be ~1/3th of a regular weapon attack).

Usage of weapon damage might be intentional, but might also not be. Either way a 1/3th proc of 7K would be around 2k damage, an amount easy to spot (And which i never saw on any proc).

Feature Request: Save character buffs on exit
Last thingy is more of a feature request. Would it be possible / feasible to save character buffs when the game is exited (At least the ones the character apply themselves)? Right now saving and loading a game will result in the character having none of their existing buffs whatsoever. Pressing a few buttons to reapply buffs isn't a problem, but it can potentially lead to dicey situations. For example, the attached Cladincursia character only has ~550 health unbuffed and three "Armor Overload" debuffs if the "Unholy Vitality" buff isn't applied which makes her a sitting duck after reload.

This means care has to be taken when the game is exited (To ensure she isn't in immediate danger). Even that is manageable, but a trickier situation occurs when the game crashes: Once that occurs it's up to Din where the character starts at. Which may be right in the middle of a swarm of enemies. Unfortunately i am speaking for experience as there are a few rare (Once an evening) crashes due to some memory pointer issues (instruction at 0x0000000000421E3A referenced memory at 0x0000000000000000).