PDA

View Full Version : The End

Roswitha
05-01-2011, 02:03 AM
Whatever this new game ends up being, I hope Shadow and crew put as much effort into a solid ending as they do for the rest of the game. A good ending provides a sense of closure. I'm talking about when you meet the stated objective of the game, not just when you save a town. DoP didn't have one. Din's had a big reward chest (nice, but fairly standard) and a note on the screen when you redeemed yourself. Both of these are fairly anti-climactic. It is possible to provide a sense of closure and still leave the hero free to go and do bigger and better things. I hope that's what happens here.

Bluddy
05-01-2011, 03:09 AM
Whatever this new game ends up being, I hope Shadow and crew put as much effort into a solid ending as they do for the rest of the game. A good ending provides a sense of closure. I'm talking about when you meet the stated objective of the game, not just when you save a town. DoP didn't have one. Din's had a big reward chest (nice, but fairly standard) and a note on the screen when you redeemed yourself. Both of these are fairly anti-climactic. It is possible to provide a sense of closure and still leave the hero free to go and do bigger and better things. I hope that's what happens here.

Agreed.

At least for Din's, it would have been pretty easy to have a nice ending sequence: the hero is finally able to leave town by walking through the town gate. You could then have him walk through a wilderness area (using the town's ground texture) into the sunset, while displaying the credits, the hero's stats and playing some cool music in the background. All of it could be done with the in-game engine. One step up from this would be to show each town the hero saved, and to have everyone who's still alive in the towns celebrating.

Shadow
05-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I have it written down to make the ending better for the next game. I've always found endings hard to do in our games, because they really don't end. :(