PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Next Game

Bluddy
05-03-2011, 05:07 AM
OK so we don't even know yet if the next game will be an ARPG, but working on the assumption that it will, or that the mechanics will be similar to previous games, here are some suggestions for the next game's mechanics. They're not worth implementing in DC, but they are for the next game.

- Allow multiple status effects from skills. Many times I want to have a skill that causes multiple status effects, or random status effects, or one status effect on a monster and one on the player. There's no way to implement these right now and it's unfortunate.

- Have an 'AtLevel' command that modifies skills at certain levels. People really like surprises. They also really like that their skill gets really cool at a certain level because they invested in that skill. For example, the creature you shapeshift into could get extra powers, like flying, at level 10 of the skill.

- In general, I think rather than having all skills compete from the start, it's more satisfying to start with a few skill choices (3-4) and have them expand as the game goes on. This makes the game feel more different later on. It also means not all skills have to compete with each other all the time.

Bluddy
10-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Most of my experience modding DC has taught me one thing at this point: inflation is bad. For Drox Operative, I recommend being careful not to inflate numbers in the game, particularly if the game is supposed to be long term (100 levels) like DoP and DC. Examples:

- Minimize modifiers per item. 3 or 4 is a good maximum.
- Minimize item slots. DC has 16(!) of them.
- Minimize percentage bonuses to damage and other stats. If you max out at 100-150% bonus, nobody will miss the higher percentages since they're all relative anyway. But if you go for high percentages (200%+ max) it'll easily throw off balance, since multipliers add up.
- Especially minimize special hits (crits and such) if there are any.
- I don't know if there's anything analogous to the base stats in DC, but if there is, the end result should be that there aren't enough points to max out all the important stats. For example, if someone wants to max out STR, they shouldn't be able to max out anything else. Minimizing the points handed out forces the player to choose and optimize.

That's it. Just wanted to throw in 2 more of my cents.

Shadow
10-04-2011, 12:04 PM
There are attributes, but they are harder to come by in Drox because they are limited to crew.

The strange thing about the slots is that you start with less but end up with more because they are based on the ship hull.

Bluddy
10-04-2011, 12:16 PM
There are attributes, but they are harder to come by in Drox because they are limited to crew.

The strange thing about the slots is that you start with less but end up with more because they are based on the ship hull.

I suggest limiting the maximum number of slots on the big ships, or (I think I suggested this elsewhere on this forum) creating some kind of balance mechanism where as you get a bigger ship, you lose something. So a player would have a certain incentive to keep a smaller ship, but the game will be harder that way since they'll have fewer slots.

Bigger ships could be easier to hit and slower, or maybe require bigger engines that would eventually use up 2 or more slots. Gamers that like to 'have it all' -- mix up a bunch of slots -- would get bigger ships and load them up with stuff, but they'll be an easy target and fairly slow, while more daring gamers will resist the urge to get a bigger ship and instead prefer fast, maneuverable and hard to hit, but highly specialized small ships. For the latter gamers, the goal will be to get the best items possible, to maximize what they can do with only a few slots.

There could even be achievements for playing with a small ship for big chunks of the game and being successful, so people would have an incentive to try out that kind of gameplay -- more risky but more rewarding.

Shadow
10-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Larger ships do have some negatives. They have more mass which makes them slower and eventually they might also be easier to hit.