PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Discord

Bluddy
03-12-2019, 12:06 PM
I decided to start an unofficial discord server for Soldak games! Come join us and show your support. (https://discord.gg/UpWxrY7)

Shadow
03-13-2019, 02:53 PM
I've known of Discord for a long time, but I have never used it. How does it work? Is it more like forums, more like chat, or something else?

Bluddy
03-13-2019, 03:11 PM
I've known of Discord for a long time, but I have never used it. How does it work? Is it more like forums, more like chat, or something else?

It's like a chat with multiple rooms, and it also includes direct voice chat, as well as voice chat channels for multiplayer parties and such. It facilitates quick, informal communication.

I'm happy to make you admin if you're interested, of course.

Bluddy
03-13-2019, 03:34 PM
As opposed to Discourse (I know, why so similar?) which is the forum software used by places like quartertothree.

Shadow
03-13-2019, 04:43 PM
Are chats persistent? If I come in an hour, a day, or a week after a question is asked will I see it?

Bluddy
03-13-2019, 04:52 PM
Are chats persistent? If I come in an hour, a day, or a week after a question is asked will I see it?

Yes. Unlike a forum, they're not thread-based though, so you may have to scroll up to find it. What people tend to do is, if there's a topic that keeps coming up, you make a dedicated channel for it, such as 'troubleshooting', or 'announcements'. You can also search all the way back in history to find something.

Additionally, you can ping someone with @, for example @Shadow (similar to Discourse or twitter). This will create a notification for the receiver and allow you to find that particular message, to which you can reply with another @.

And since there are many game servers in discord, it functions by having you logged in to all of them at once. Switching between them is as easy as clicking a button.

Someone64
03-18-2019, 02:36 PM
Discord is basically just the new IRC with a ton more features (they even have an API for bots and everything) and a Chromium based client. Can be opened in web browser as a browser app instead but the desktop app is more preferable to using that. It's also a store for selling games for some reason. They take a smaller cut out of sales than Steam does.

Bluddy
08-31-2019, 11:18 PM
Just wanted to bump this in case people here haven't seen it yet. Our discord is growing, so come join the party! (https://discord.gg/svFvnVP)