PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts

DeathKnight1728
05-06-2011, 12:13 AM
I was very surprised that steven is making a space type game. It came really as a shock to me. Ive never been into that genre too much. However, i am buying this game to support soldak :)

Ive had numerous problems in the past with trying to not only play (but to figure out) games like that. But Soldak happens to be not like any indie company, so i might just find a space game that i can get into.

I have a few thoughts and questions-

-A quick pause button would do wonders, especially knowing how fast paced dins curse was, imagine a strategy version!!

-Is all of this going to be on ship, it would be cool if you could ambush someone in a docking bay with a select few, steal they're secrets, or something like that, then get on your ship and get out faster than han solo.

Just a few thoughts.

Delilah Rehm
05-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Yeah, I guess some fans won't want to play a space game. Hopefully most will give it a try. The demo, as always, will be completely free.

Another plus, major art overhaul. I like the art in the old games, but I really enjoy new art in new games I try... Except for the Sims 3. Don't ask me why, but that game was a real let down from so much of what I loved in the Sims 2.

Bluddy
05-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Yeah, I guess some fans won't want to play a space game. Hopefully most will give it a try. The demo, as always, will be completely free.

Another plus, major art overhaul. I like the art in the old games, but I really enjoy new art in new games I try... Except for the Sims 3. Don't ask me why, but that game was a real let down from so much of what I loved in the Sims 2.

One issue I've encountered with space games is that the art tends to be more... I guess sterile is the word. The clean sci-fi look with neon colors is kind of boring.

The other issue I have with space games is that they tend to feel impersonal. Rather than moving a character about you're dealing with spaceships and a lot of empty space. It's important to inject a lot of personality into the game and particularly into characters. Many space games like to show the aliens inside the spaceships up close even though they don't have to, just to try to bridge that gap that's created by having the player use such an impersonal avatar.

Another interesting approach is the one taken by Wing Commander and the new Battlestar Galactica, where instead of the generic, clean sci-fi look, you have more of a run-down, low-tech version of the classic sci-fi elements. So you might have a spaceship that's got some rust and dust all over it. It makes things feel easier to identify with and down-to-earth.

Aganazer
05-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Another interesting approach is the one taken by Wing Commander and the new Battlestar Galactica, where instead of the generic, clean sci-fi look, you have more of a run-down, low-tech version of the classic sci-fi elements. So you might have a spaceship that's got some rust and dust all over it. It makes things feel easier to identify with and down-to-earth.

I love the gritty sci-fi style. Firefly is so much cooler than Star Trek. :)

Even the ship they used in Starcraft 2 looked well used. Kind of a Warhammer 40k look.

Warfran
05-06-2011, 01:57 PM
I was very surprised that steven is making a space type game. It came really as a shock to me. Ive never been into that genre too much. However, i am buying this game to support soldak :)

Ive had numerous problems in the past with trying to not only play (but to figure out) games like that. But Soldak happens to be not like any indie company, so i might just find a space game that i can get into.

My sentiments exactly DeathKnight, so called "space games" have never been my thing either, closest I ever got was X-Com and that was basically a squad based earth bound game with Sci-Fi elements.
So many of these space games play or at least look, like Sci-Fi spread sheets to me.

But if anyone can get me interested in this genre it's most likely going to be Steven and Soldak.
So open-minded and ready to hear more on the development of this game.

Shadow
05-06-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm pretty sure if you liked DoP and DC and give the space setting a chance you'll like this game.

Caal
05-06-2011, 07:24 PM
I've never been a big fan of space games either, but what I enjoyed a lot was being part of the Din's beta (I think I got in at version 0.901), watching it develop, seeing all the comments and critiques, and playing a part (however small) in the process. So like DeathKnight and Warfran, I'm willing to give a space game a chance. With Din's having given Soldak more fans, the beta for this game should be even bigger and better. I'm looking forward to it.

Warfran
05-06-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm pretty sure if you liked DoP and DC and give the space setting a chance you'll like this game.

For sure I'll give it a chance, I really do like Sci-Fi settings in books, TV, movies.
Just found most space games kind of "dry", so I'm really looking forward to Soldak showing me a new side to this setting.

DeathKnight1728
05-06-2011, 09:12 PM
For sure I'll give it a chance, I really do like Sci-Fi settings in books, TV, movies.
Just found most space games kind of "dry", so I'm really looking forward to Soldak showing me a new side to this setting.

Without a doubt. As i said in the beginning, soldak will get my support no matter what the game setting is :)