PDA

View Full Version : Din's Legacy patch 0.901

Shadow
07-19-2019, 04:35 PM
Patch 0.901 of Din's Legacy is available (Steam only still). Changes can be read here (http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Legacy/Patches.html).

This patch adds Steam cloud support, improves the graphics in many ways, polishes the UI some, and fixes a bunch of smaller issues.

Castruccio
07-19-2019, 08:54 PM
I get 29-33 fps in town with a GTX 970 and shadows on. Performance is slightly worse this patch, I think. Outdoor areas are a real drain.

Bluddy
07-21-2019, 10:29 PM
I get 29-33 fps in town with a GTX 970 and shadows on. Performance is slightly worse this patch, I think. Outdoor areas are a real drain.

The critical comparison is FPS between shadows on and shadows off, in the same area. Would you be able to post those numbers?

Castruccio
07-22-2019, 12:00 AM
I get ~10 more FPS with shadows off in the same area, more or less. This surprised me, as I had expected more. Outdoor areas are what do it. Dungeons are great. I haven't tried fiddling with the amount of vegetation, etc outside.

Shadow
07-22-2019, 09:28 AM
Our games are usually CPU bound so the 970 part might not matter. What's your CPU?

Castruccio
07-22-2019, 10:23 AM
Our games are usually CPU bound so the 970 part might not matter. What's your CPU?

i7 2600. Older, but not incapable by any means. Still runs most new AAA games well. May need to upgrade it? The slowdown happens mostly in cluttered areas.

Bluddy
07-22-2019, 10:59 AM
I don't think upgrading will help that much -- CPUs are pretty much stuck performance-wise, and the game isn't very multi-threaded. Compare the performance of the game (without shadows) to Zombasite on your machine. I think the height map has impacted performance significantly, but there could be other things going on as well.

Bluddy
07-22-2019, 11:24 PM
Just to pitch in with my own stats... on my pretty good desktop machine that can handle most AAA games at 1080p:

In Zombasite (no shadows since they're gone in the last patch), I get a minimum of 42 fps with lots of monsters around, and around 50fps with low numbers of monsters. It seems the main factor is being outside and having lots of monsters in view.

In DL without shadows, I get a minimum of around 30fps with lots of monsters around, and around 45 fps with no monsters. So we're already at the borderline level. Adding shadow maps reduces the minimum to 20fps, and the best case (no monsters, but outside) to around 32 fps.

Castruccio
07-23-2019, 11:35 PM
I don't think upgrading will help that much -- CPUs are pretty much stuck performance-wise, and the game isn't very multi-threaded. Compare the performance of the game (without shadows) to Zombasite on your machine. I think the height map has impacted performance significantly, but there could be other things going on as well.

My framerate in Zombasite holds at a steady 60 in the same kinds of outdoor areas. To only get half of that in Din's Legacy is pretty crazy.

treborx555
07-24-2019, 07:26 AM
my cpu is always at 95+% in single core. and i have 3.6ghz..

Shadow
07-24-2019, 06:04 PM
My framerate in Zombasite holds at a steady 60 in the same kinds of outdoor areas. To only get half of that in Din's Legacy is pretty crazy.

Yeah, last time I looked the heightmap and shadow mapping were most of the culprit. I am planning on another optimization run soonish so hopefully I can improve the frame rate some. Some day I'll hopefully have time to do some bigger optimization work like glsl, moving vertex work to GPU, and much more multi-threading.

Bluddy
07-25-2019, 12:06 PM
Some day I'll hopefully have time to do some bigger optimization work like glsl, moving vertex work to GPU, and much more multi-threading.

I don't think these things are alike. GLSL isn't a huge transition, and once you get there, adding transforms into them isn't that hard either. In general, if anything fails, it'll be immediate and fast.

Multithreading, on the other hand, is a huge undertaking. There *will* be many subtle bugs. The safest way to do multithreading in C++ is probably OpenMP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenMP): when you get to a very large computation in a loop, farm it out to other threads using a simple #pragma. Getting a real performance improvement though will take a lot of work.

Shadow
07-25-2019, 04:50 PM
I don't think these things are alike.

I wasn't trying to imply those were similar in effort.