PDA

View Full Version : Someone needs to play Space Rangers 2

pnakotus
05-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Since it does pretty much everything mentioned. It even ditches levels and doesn't attach ship types to levels, and thus allows interesting things to happen instead of LEV0L TEN GOTS BATTLESHIPZ.

Being realtime is always an improvement, of course, but hopefully there won't be a) a strong story or b) fantasy-style itemisation. The EV series would have been a hell of a lot better if it was a dynamic world like Space Rangers (and Dins) and wasn't shoehorned into a derivative story of scifi cliche lameness.

Shadow
05-07-2011, 09:21 AM
I have been playing some Space Rangers 2 lately. I think we will have some things in common, but overall I think our game will play quite a bit different.

torikamal
05-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Starscape is another little 2-d style Space Game that handled upgrades and different ships interestingly. Relatively simple game, but I think they are some great things to be gleaned from it.

Same people that brought you Mr. Robot.

Shadow
05-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Now that I have actually played Space Rangers 2 some, what do you guys feel are the best parts? What parts of SR2 would like to see in another game? Which parts do you not care for?

Aganazer
05-09-2011, 10:45 AM
It's been years since I played, but the text adventures, arcade shoot-em-up combat mode, and ground RTS battles were nothing more than a novelty and didn't add much to the game. I never managed to complete a scenario because it would take too long to get advanced enough to make a difference in the world. I'd end up getting all caught up trying to advance my character while wasting time on the huge breadth of activities in the game. It would all carry on for so long that the game would wear out its welcome and I'd stop playing before I made any impact on the game universe. I mean, if I spend half my evening trying to get out of prison by winning the cockroach races then that doesn't leave much time for upgrading my ship at all.

I loved the liveliness of the universe. There were always things going on in every system. You were always making decisions about who to help, where to go, and what tasks to take on. They did a great job of giving the player a steady stream of interesting choices and opportunities.

Different topic, but I played through the demo in Starpoint Gemini (http://www.starpointgemini.com/) last night. It looks like they made a very interesting and complete universe, but the core gameplay just isn't as involving as it should be IMO. A bit more ARPG or even space rangers influence would have helped. The interface also left a bad impression although I heard its better in the latest version of the released game. I wish the graphics were a bit more inspiring as well. It looks like it could be an interesting game, but not necessarily a very fun game.

SPAZ (http://www.spacepiratesandzombies.com/) should be coming out today along with a demo. I'll be trying it out tonight assuming there aren't any delays!

ebarstad
05-09-2011, 12:55 PM
I mean, if I spend half my evening trying to get out of prison by winning the cockroach races then that doesn't leave much time for upgrading my ship at all.

This! This is why SR2 is great -- because it's crazy and surprising and doesn't take itself too seriously.

That said, it can also be incredibly frustrating. The universe sort of levels up at its own pace (which is cool) and you can quickly lag behind. I always felt underpowered after a while -- I could no longer take on Dominators or pirates, nor could I make enough money to properly upgrade my ship.

Ultimately, I loved the freedom the game allowed. I only played SR2 for the first time recently, so it reminded me of Mount and Blade in space -- basically, you can do what you want. They provide and overarching plot, some side-stories, and a living world, but ultimately you create your own personal narrative and affect the world however you choose.

Other things I liked:

How you can enlist temporary help from ships that are close by and how the AI can do the same.
How you can scan the news channel or use the search to find people/equipment.
How, if you have the skill level, you can recruit other rangers to your party.

abomination5
05-09-2011, 06:24 PM
How you can enlist temporary help from ships that are close by and how the AI can do the same.
How you can scan the news channel or use the search to find people/equipment.
How, if you have the skill level, you can recruit other rangers to your party.

Here are a few additions from the top of my head.

Dynamic world. Dominators can attack and take over a zone at any time. If you are fast enough you may have a chance to help defend it. It actually feels like the rest of the universe is going about its own business. You can help fund space stations to provide nearby convinces or protect a certain sector.
Unique upgrades and a variety of weapons/ships
Variety of alien species that have different diplomatic relationships with you.
An appealing visual style that doesn't take itself too seriously.
Variety of possible activities. Trading, randomly generated missions, pirating, pirate hunting or dominator hunting.
The zones feel full of plants and stations that have purpose. There isn't too much empty space. In some space games I feel like I'm just waiting for my warp drive to recharge while I sit isolated in space.

pnakotus
05-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Any spaceship game that doesn't at least have a dynamic economy and NPCs and emergent events (stuff that Soldak does well already) is a total waste of time. After my first game of SR2, funding the international war with the profits from mid-battle ninja looting and seeing new tech roll out faster and the coalition start to turn the tide, any spaceship game without that level of interaction was totally boring.

With the paid patch that Russia had years ago (Reboot), the faction system actually worked and was a really impressive part of the game for the subtle way it worked; pirates would be isntantly gangraped by a posse of truckers upon entering systems, guys who do missions would often have locals volunteer their assistance, etc.

One of the big things that I think any similar game needs to keep in mind is the way SR2 handled communications. The player could 'hear' all conversations going on in the system, even outside radar range, so while it was totally ignorable, all the interesting AI stuff (like pirates pirating, guys talking about trade, military guys rallying up, and rangers coming and going) was exposed rather than hidden by the fog of war. Similarly, the Space Google was excellent; being able to find all that world information (and being exposed to the 'news') was great for showing off the emergent nature of the game - right down to reporting the pirate you forced to land getting arrested.

From Soldak, I'd expect much more awesome stuff like the game I had where the coalition was divided in two very early on and I was stuck in the four-system corner with no possible escape, funding military expansion with ninja looting in invasion battles and hoping a black hole appeared so I could return to the safer areas. It's worth noting that SR2 didn't use ship hull types as levels, but rather class, with different hulls having different capabilities and roles. All the crazy stuff you could find (and the tech-level based size/price tradeoffs) made ship equipment way more interesting than in many other games, where you get the build you want and essentially never change it.

Stealing ideas from EVE is probably a good idea too, particularly the security system to allow players to actively 'consent' to the more dangerous areas and the ability to 'own' essentially everything in the game. In SR2, having stations and whole fleets named after you in a war against crazy robots was excellent.

Bluddy
05-10-2011, 08:32 AM
pnakotus, this is what I mean is the problem with the space genre: games like SR2 have already been made. SR2 is pretty much what Soldak is planning, except maybe less focused (too much trying to be everything to everyone) and not realtime. In order to compete, Soldak has to create a game that's got everything good SR2 has, except better. And even then, it'll be compared to SR2 -- it won't be exploring a new niche like DC or DoP.

pnakotus
05-10-2011, 09:34 AM
What are you talking about? Din's probably sold more copies than SR2 did before SR2 came to DD. It'll be 'compared' to SR2 the same way that Din's is compared to Titan's Quest or Torchlight or Diablo or whatever, and it'll probably come off better for the same reasons.

Is there any reason why it can't be a dynamic spaceship game that's better than SR2 (beyond the lack of 'space English')?

Sadly SPAZ is much more like Starscape than SR2 or EVE or whatever, and is thus much less interesting. It also uses ship hulls as leveling, rather than class, and is thus pretty bland. You unlock all the lightest hulls in the first level! Where is the endgame rogue fighter with an emphasis on dps and agility, aside from 'in EVE'? :)

Bluddy
05-10-2011, 09:51 AM
What are you talking about? Din's probably sold more copies than SR2 did before SR2 came to DD. It'll be 'compared' to SR2 the same way that Din's is compared to Titan's Quest or Torchlight or Diablo or whatever, and it'll probably come off better for the same reasons.

That may be true (about the numbers) -- I have no idea. But take a look at that comparison: Din's vs. Titan's Quest or Torchlight, Din's wins hands down since it plays in a completely different arena. DC didn't have to do what Titan's Quest or Torchlight did better because it did completely different (and more impressive) things. Unknown space game vs. SR2 will have to do what SR2 does, and do it better.

Is there any reason why it can't be a dynamic spaceship game that's better than SR2 (beyond the lack of 'space English')?

Didn't say it can't be. But if you think of the huge advantage Soldak had in the ARPG realm... it just won't have the same advantage here.

Shadow
05-10-2011, 10:32 AM
I really don't think we are going to have a problem being different than SR2.

Shadow
05-10-2011, 10:40 AM
In SR2 what all can you do to help your favorite faction against the Dominators?

Aganazer
05-10-2011, 10:58 AM
SPAZ (http://www.spacepiratesandzombies.com/) should be coming out today along with a demo. I'll be trying it out tonight assuming there aren't any delays!

I tried the demo last night. Its definitely an action RPG and pretty good. The interface is very easy to use which is great since Sci-Fi games can have some really bad interfaces sometimes (Like X2). Its perhaps a bit too dependent on player skill with all the aiming and dodging, which could get frustrating.

If Steven is making an action RPG sci-fi game with randomly generated content then SPAZ is probably the closest thing I have seen to that.

Back on the topic of SR2, didn't it have automated mining/collecting drones that you could leave at a planet and check up on occasionally? Maybe I am mixing it up with a different game, but I remember enjoying that feature a lot.

Bluddy
05-10-2011, 11:07 AM
I really don't think we are going to have a problem being different than SR2.

OK glad to hear it.

Wow now that I read Spaz's About page, that really looks similar to your idea. I'm going to download that demo and take a look.

ebarstad
05-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Back on the topic of SR2, didn't it have automated mining/collecting drones that you could leave at a planet and check up on occasionally? Maybe I am mixing it up with a different game, but I remember enjoying that feature a lot.

Yes, and that's another great feature I forgot about. You could find some great loot and make good money by having your drones work while you did other things. There was also some risk involved in leaving your drones: If Dominators took over the system, you likely wouldn't be able to get to the planet your drones were on. You could then lose the drones to damage and you wouldn't be able to launch other drones since the total you could deploy was skill based.

ebarstad
05-10-2011, 11:18 AM
In SR2 what all can you do to help your favorite faction against the Dominators?

I didn't play very far into the game, but typically you weren't tied to a faction other than by your race. You didn't help your faction; you helped yourself or you helped all non-Dominators -- at least that's the impression I got from what I played.

Mount and Blade, on the other hand, which features some similar ideas to SR2, has a more distinct faction system -- you can join a faction and take part in wars and political intrigues and alliances. It's more robust in that regard, while letting you remain independent if you choose.

Desticato
05-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Now that I have actually played Space Rangers 2 some, what do you guys feel are the best parts? What parts of SR2 would like to see in another game? Which parts do you not care for?

Also I've never seen a space game have a very interesting loot/item system.

Space Rangers 2 is easily one of my favorite games of all time. I find myself frequently returning to it between big releases, and it's one of the first games I install on any new machine I build.

The order changes depending on what I had for breakfast, but here's my Top 5:

Space Rangers 2
Depths of Peril
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Din's Curse
Kohan: Ahriman's Gift

As others have stated, the superfluous text adventures, ground-based robot-building real-time combat, arcade-like hyperspace battles and anything else that wasn't the galaxy-exploring, ship-outfitting, Dominator-busting, trade-for-profit portions of the game were appreciated but unnecessary. What you're suggesting with your as-yet untitled space game sounds nearly perfect. However, since I haven't actually answered your original question, here's why I heart Space Rangers 2:

Randomness. I consider replayability the Holy Grail of Gaming, and randomly generated galaxies, conflict and loot makes SR2 a pleasure to play, since each session will feel familiar but be completely different than the last.

Dynamic universe. The tug-of-war battle between the Dominators and the rest of space makes the game feel much more alive than most anything else I've ever played. (Soldak's titles are some of the only others that spring to mind.)

RPG with a sci-fi sheen. When people ask what kind of game SR2 is and I answer RPG, they typically respond with a slightly bewildered look. No, it's not an action game. It's not a top-down space strategy game. It's an RPG, where the only real difference is that instead of Ilumminating Greaves of Illumination that increase your light radius, you're installing a TR52 Pulsing Sensor that allows you to see 3km farther than your old LV23 Strobing Sensor. Weapon slots = gun slots. Shielding = chest armor. Ship hull = (hybrid) defense and inventory space. Destroyed ships drop loot or the galactic equivalent of gold. You get quests from NPCs. You sell stuff you've found for stuff you want. It's a classic RPG hidden beneath a facade of galactic space-faring. And it's better off for it.

Turn-based exploration and combat. This one's tricky. The game is clearly turn-based, but it conceals this beneath a very fluid Auto End of Turn mechanism that gives the illusion of real-time. I understand that this is one significant area in which your game will differ, and I'm not really concerned about the more hectic nature of Soldak's offering. However, SR2 and its ability to pause nearly anywhere and change ones approach based upon how a dynamic scenario changes in a living galaxy (e.g. a mostly-cleared system is suddenly infested with Dominators or a pirate decides to take advantage of your hobbled ship by opening fire on you as you're limping back to a Ranger base) is often a godsend. If it were twitch-based, those situations might not be nearly as survivable.

Customizable difficulty. This is one of the biggest selling points. I may want a galaxy swarming with Dominators but I'll likely also want access to better ships and technology early in the game to effectively counter their numbers. I may loathe constantly repairing my ship but enjoy never really having enough money to buy the best equipment. SR2 lets you, with a click-of-the-mouse, modify any one of eight settings (each with four 'levels') to make the game as easy or as challenging as you want. The fact that these affect your overall score makes their presence that much more appreciated. The high-score screen is a great way of chronicling your exploits, and there's a certain amount of pride in hitting the top of the list with a difficulty in excess of 100%.

Sci-fi setting. Self-explanatory, but so refreshing! Especially in regards to the aliens, their diplomatic or warlike tendencies and their respective technologies.

Loot-system. Like Soldak's games, the nearly limitless amount of gear available for your ship--both purchasable and salvageable--makes one strive to always have the best tech the galaxy has to offer. I'm constantly switching out engines, scanners, ship hulls and weapons in an effort to maximize my lethality and profitability. The fact that the developers provided a built-in search engine for the best gear only makes the hunt that much sweeter. Although it's physically painful to 'google' the location of the best weapon in the game only to find that, once you arrive, the planet or station in question is SOLD OUT. Awesome tension, though! The game has a constant lure for better stuff, managing to implement the 'carrot on a stick' more effectively than any other game I've ever played.

Multiple endings. Some people may not know this, but with diplomacy, technology and circumstance, each of the three boss battles can have up to (if memory serves) three outcomes. This means that not only are you fighting in a randomly generated universe with Dominator and coalition forces dynamically fighting for different areas of the galaxy, but once you get close to the endgame you will have multiple solutions to each of the game's biggest three problems. And you can even accomplish a partial victory, depending on how those encounters go. Check the high-score page for a hint of what could happen, but only if you don't mind mild spoilers.

There are tons of other reasons I love Space Rangers 2. I have high hopes Soldak gives me as many to post about regarding their game once it's released!

In parting, here are other good-to-awesome space games I enjoy:

Transcendence
Escape Velocity: Nova
Space Rangers
Evochron (series)
Weird Worlds (sequel to Strange Adventures in Infinite Space)
Starflight
FlatSpace II
Starfarer (curently in alpha)
S.P.A.Z. (Space Zombies and Pirates, currently in beta w/ demo)
Smugglers 4
Captain Forever
SpacePod
Freelancer

Desticato
05-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Take back quadrants/solar systems.
Submit tech and nodes to stations to further develop anti-dominator research.
Join military vessels on incursions into Dominator space.
Join other Rangers that have decided to do a surgical strike and accompany them into enemy territory.
Defeat any one of the three 'leaders' of the Dominators. Each strikes a significant blow to their efforts. Beat the third/last and win the game.
Invest in bases, stations, military facilities to better prepare them for Dominator attacksThese are just off the top of my head. I'm probably forgetting some.

ebarstad
05-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Another neat thing Space Rangers 2 has (and which M&B: With Fire and Sword now has, too) is loans. In both games, you can borrow money to fund upgrades. However, if you don't pay the loan back on time, you've pretty much made an enemy out of an entire faction and they'll no longer want anything to do with you.

I also really like SR2's on-the-fly mission difficulty. You can choose to make a quest harder or easier for more or less money. Adds a bit of depth and strategy to what typically amount to FedEx quests.

Castruccio
05-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Shadow, you are definitely going to want to check out the aforementioned demo to that "S.P.A.Z." game if you haven't already. It is a procedurally generated ARPG/top down shooter hybrid with loot and ship upgrades and massive universes. It feels a lot like what I imagined your new game feeling like, and it has a remarkable amount of polish for being an indie title.

Warfran
05-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Space Rangers 2 is easily one of my favorite games of all time. I find myself frequently returning to it between big releases, and it's one of the first games I install on any new machine I build.

The order changes depending on what I had for breakfast, but here's my Top 5:

Space Rangers 2
Depths of Peril
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Din's Curse
Kohan: Ahriman's Gift

As others have stated, the superfluous text adventures, ground-based robot-building real-time combat, arcade-like hyperspace battles and anything else that wasn't the galaxy-exploring, ship-outfitting, Dominator-busting, trade-for-profit portions of the game were appreciated but unnecessary. What you're suggesting with your as-yet untitled space game sounds nearly perfect. However, since I haven't actually answered your original question, here's why I heart Space Rangers 2:

Randomness. I consider replayability the Holy Grail of Gaming, and randomly generated galaxies, conflict and loot makes SR2 a pleasure to play, since each session will feel familiar but be completely different than the last.

Dynamic universe. The tug-of-war battle between the Dominators and the rest of space makes the game feel much more alive than most anything else I've ever played. (Soldak's titles are some of the only others that spring to mind.)

RPG with a sci-fi sheen. When people ask what kind of game SR2 is and I answer RPG, they typically respond with a slightly bewildered look. No, it's not an action game. It's not a top-down space strategy game. It's an RPG, where the only real difference is that instead of Ilumminating Greaves of Illumination that increase your light radius, you're installing a TR52 Pulsing Sensor that allows you to see 3km farther than your old LV23 Strobing Sensor. Weapon slots = gun slots. Shielding = chest armor. Ship hull = (hybrid) defense and inventory space. Destroyed ships drop loot or the galactic equivalent of gold. You get quests from NPCs. You sell stuff you've found for stuff you want. It's a classic RPG hidden beneath a facade of galactic space-faring. And it's better off for it.

Turn-based exploration and combat. This one's tricky. The game is clearly turn-based, but it conceals this beneath a very fluid Auto End of Turn mechanism that gives the illusion of real-time. I understand that this is one significant area in which your game will differ, and I'm not really concerned about the more hectic nature of Soldak's offering. However, SR2 and its ability to pause nearly anywhere and change ones approach based upon how a dynamic scenario changes in a living galaxy (e.g. a mostly-cleared system is suddenly infested with Dominators or a pirate decides to take advantage of your hobbled ship by opening fire on you as you're limping back to a Ranger base) is often a godsend. If it were twitch-based, those situations might not be nearly as survivable.

Customizable difficulty. This is one of the biggest selling points. I may want a galaxy swarming with Dominators but I'll likely also want access to better ships and technology early in the game to effectively counter their numbers. I may loathe constantly repairing my ship but enjoy never really having enough money to buy the best equipment. SR2 lets you, with a click-of-the-mouse, modify any one of eight settings (each with four 'levels') to make the game as easy or as challenging as you want. The fact that these affect your overall score makes their presence that much more appreciated. The high-score screen is a great way of chronicling your exploits, and there's a certain amount of pride in hitting the top of the list with a difficulty in excess of 100%.

Sci-fi setting. Self-explanatory, but so refreshing! Especially in regards to the aliens, their diplomatic or warlike tendencies and their respective technologies.

Loot-system. Like Soldak's games, the nearly limitless amount of gear available for your ship--both purchasable and salvageable--makes one strive to always have the best tech the galaxy has to offer. I'm constantly switching out engines, scanners, ship hulls and weapons in an effort to maximize my lethality and profitability. The fact that the developers provided a built-in search engine for the best gear only makes the hunt that much sweeter. Although it's physically painful to 'google' the location of the best weapon in the game only to find that, once you arrive, the planet or station in question is SOLD OUT. Awesome tension, though! The game has a constant lure for better stuff, managing to implement the 'carrot on a stick' more effectively than any other game I've ever played.

Multiple endings. Some people may not know this, but with diplomacy, technology and circumstance, each of the three boss battles can have up to (if memory serves) three outcomes. This means that not only are you fighting in a randomly generated universe with Dominator and coalition forces dynamically fighting for different areas of the galaxy, but once you get close to the endgame you will have multiple solutions to each of the game's biggest three problems. And you can even accomplish a partial victory, depending on how those encounters go. Check the high-score page for a hint of what could happen, but only if you don't mind mild spoilers.

There are tons of other reasons I love Space Rangers 2. I have high hopes Soldak gives me as many to post about regarding their game once it's released!

In parting, here are other good-to-awesome space games I enjoy:

Transcendence
Escape Velocity: Nova
Space Rangers
Evochron (series)
Weird Worlds (sequel to Strange Adventures in Infinite Space)
Starflight
FlatSpace II
Starfarer (curently in alpha)
S.P.A.Z. (Space Zombies and Pirates, currently in beta w/ demo)
Smugglers 4
Captain Forever
SpacePod
Freelancer

Wow after reading your take on Space Rangers 2 Desticato, and all the talk about Soldaks new project, I think I got to give SP2 a go and see what I've been missing in the world of space games.

I see it for sale at GOG, but Impulse and Steam have the SP2:Reboot version for a little more money, any suggestions on which one to buy?

Castruccio
05-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Get Reboot at Gamersgate. They have it on sale this week.

pnakotus
05-10-2011, 05:39 PM
SPAZ is really nothing like what I'd expect from Soldak or SR2. It isn't 'emergent' at all; nothing between stars even carries over. Each 'star' is just a collection of unrelated rooms, there are no persistent NPCs, no metagame, barely any resourcing (you'll certainly never run out of anything), and you sure can't go to Business Centre Hyperinflation to get a long-time loan. Calling it an 'action RPG' is being massively generous, since there are a whole four levels of each component with no fine graduation, randomness, or tradeoff. It's a better Starscape - right down to the home base ship - and not a game where anything happens without the player, or the player's actions really affect anything.

That said, I guess a lot of people probably complained that in SR2 you can start with a random galaxy where the coalition gets spanked, making the game very hard, or the dominators never really make progress, making it pretty easy... but that's what 'random' means.

Desticato
05-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Wow after reading your take on Space Rangers 2 Desticato, and all the talk about Soldaks new project, I think I got to give SP2 a go and see what I've been missing in the world of space games.

I see it for sale at GOG, but Impulse and Steam have the SP2:Reboot version for a little more money, any suggestions on which one to buy?

Get Reboot at Gamersgate. They have it on sale this week.

What Castruccio said.

If you're in the US, this would be the link:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SR2R/space-rangers-2-reboot

You can also get it from Amazon (again, in the US) via this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Space-Rangers-Reboot-Game-Download/dp/B003P2VIOW/

It's slightly more expensive, but you have the option of having a physical copy shipped to you if that appeals to you. (Just select PC instead of PC Download.)

Those are the two cheapest that I could find.

Castruccio
05-10-2011, 06:30 PM
SPAZ is really nothing like what I'd expect from Soldak or SR2. It isn't 'emergent' at all; nothing between stars even carries over. Each 'star' is just a collection of unrelated rooms, there are no persistent NPCs, no metagame, barely any resourcing (you'll certainly never run out of anything), and you sure can't go to Business Centre Hyperinflation to get a long-time loan. Calling it an 'action RPG' is being massively generous, since there are a whole four levels of each component with no fine graduation, randomness, or tradeoff. It's a better Starscape - right down to the home base ship - and not a game where anything happens without the player, or the player's actions really affect anything.

That said, I guess a lot of people probably complained that in SR2 you can start with a random galaxy where the coalition gets spanked, making the game very hard, or the dominators never really make progress, making it pretty easy... but that's what 'random' means.

It is something like what I expected from Soldak insofar as you play as a ship and you shoot things from a top down view in randomly generated galaxy. I did not call it an ARPG, but rather an ARPG/top down hybrid. It has RPG elements because there are at least a few options for ship customization that remind one of the character customization in RPG's (as opposed to pure top down shooters). I suggested that Shadow play it because some of its design elements are perhaps similar to some of the things he had in mind, and it may be possible for him to draw inspiration from those elements. I do not mean to imply that this game usurps the position of the future Soldak game, but it is not reaching too far to claim that they may share the same market space.

Warfran
05-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the GamersGate tip guys, I never go there.
$6.00 beats anyone, heck of a deal.

At that price it's basically a risk free purchase.

pnakotus
05-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Just remember to take the improved engine as a starting pick!

Bluddy
05-11-2011, 04:32 AM

Ah ok. I didn't know there was no connection between solar systems. So each solar system gets its own mix of factions. Still sounds like something very similar to Soldak's idea, except perhaps scaled down a tad. And of course, it's another small indie dev with many eager fans impressed by their work -- all very similar to Soldak. I dare say that it's the closest competition that Soldak has for their next game: comparisons will undoubtedly be made.

I think that for something as game-changing as faction dominance there should be options. You could choose to start in a galaxy dominated by your home faction, a galaxy where your faction is about equal in power to the others, one where it's losing, or a random scenario.

udm
05-11-2011, 05:43 AM
Space Rangers 2 is amazing. I don't know how many hours of sleep I've lost to it.

Shadow
05-11-2011, 09:57 AM
I played a little SPAZ yesterday. I'm pretty sure our combat will be a good bit less twitch based and rely more on your items.

Bluddy
05-11-2011, 10:02 AM
I played a little SPAZ yesterday. I'm pretty sure our combat will be a good bit less twitch based and rely more on your items.

You might want to check out Puzzle Quest Galactrix. They tried to take the amazing Puzzle Quest formula and move it into space while tweaking it, and I think they tweaked it too much, which is why it ultimately failed. But they have tons of interesting items, all affecting the core puzzle gameplay in different ways.

They also tried to incorporate psychic energy of some alien crew members into the game, though apparently this was a late decision in the dev cycle and they ended up trashing much of the mechanics behind it. I'm thinking though that maybe you want to use that idea as the game's magic, so that it's not just about items.

Aganazer
05-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Yet another up and coming space shooter game. Its just a non-interactive demo right now, but maybe it will develop into something cool. I have no idea if there are any RPG elements planned.

http://www.maxdohme.de/games/pe-demo/

Warfran
05-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Space Rangers 2 is amazing. I don't know how many hours of sleep I've lost to it.

I hear ya.
I sat down with the game last night to learn a little more about it and 2 hours passed like 20 minutes. The time machine effect, a mark of a great game.