PDA

View Full Version : Exploring

Roswitha
05-10-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm not really big on space games. The only one I ever played was MOO2, and I just loved the game. My favorite part was the exploration. Building a huge army took second place to scouting out new systems. I liked to see the different star and planet combinations. I always picked a huge universe just so there was more to explore.

Is the new game going to have lots of exploration possibilities?

Shadow
05-10-2011, 01:29 PM
I sure hope so. I think we will end up with some of the same exploration that MOO has and some things like in DC. You will start only knowing about your current solar system. You will need to find paths to other systems and in those systems you will hopefully find good planets for colonization. You will also find derelict ships, ancient ruins, and stuff of that nature.

pnakotus
05-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Is catering to people who don't even play the type of game you're making really such a great idea? :D

GalCiv2 eventually implemented 'respawning' exploration, where over time the galaxy slowly refilled with anomalies so there was always something to find, and not just right at the start where everyone chased them. Of course, because you needed a special ship to do it and there was an automatic mode, it wasn't very successful.

Hopefully any dynamic world will have explorables being constantly added, even if just as a result of battles, failed quests, etc.

Shadow
05-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Is catering to people who don't even play the type of game you're making really such a great idea? :D

In this case I'm not catering, just answering the question. :)

gornova
05-12-2011, 11:06 AM
respawning idea seems cool, if not change nature of universe :D

PixelLord
05-25-2011, 10:56 PM
respawning idea seems cool, if not change nature of universe :D

We're definitely going to change the nature of the universe. I just don't want to hear from physicists about how we've violated the physical laws of the universe. Stars and planets will be flying by as you travel. It would be truly mind numbing if you had to travel at even the speed of light. So you can travel at something like warp 10 to the 100 power! And it looks cool that way. We'll present the galaxy the way you'd want to see it.

Brian Rubin
06-21-2012, 12:59 PM
I'd like to ask another question on exploration. When you pass the confines of a system, you're warned to turn back, but the game doesn't STOP you from continuing past the rim of the system.

Would it be possible to maybe have further opportunities for exploration outside the system? Like pirate bases or asteroids you can fly into, artifacts you can only find outside the system, or massive space monsters. Something that would give one the incentive to explore a bit more beyond the round sphere of the system itself.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks!

Shadow
06-21-2012, 01:34 PM
It's possible, but I'm not sure I want to encourage people to explore outside of the system. It might end up being almost all wandering aimlessly around and very little pay off.

Bluddy
06-21-2012, 02:01 PM
It's possible, but I'm not sure I want to encourage people to explore outside of the system. It might end up being almost all wandering aimlessly around and very little pay off.

Agreed. I don't see a reason for this. You don't want people going against the game's directions to find stuff.

What would be nice is to change the color of space outside the sector, so it'd be clear where the border is. I constantly find myself flying out of the sector and missing the blinking icon until I'm a long way out -- usually this happens because I was too busy fighting/running away from monsters.

Brian Rubin
06-21-2012, 02:01 PM
This is why I'm saying there SHOULD be payoff, like a huge, hard to beat monster with big drops, or a pirate base or some such that really challenges the player and incentivizes exploring. :)

LostSoul
06-21-2012, 05:23 PM
This is why I'm saying there SHOULD be payoff, like a huge, hard to beat monster with big drops, or a pirate base or some such that really challenges the player and incentivizes exploring. :)

The game spaces are quite large as it is. What you really want are solar systems without jump gates, and that the various races/factions don't travel to. "Challenge" systems of a sort. You'll have to traverse the various systems in your sector and find that one lone worm hole. Maybe there will be one, maybe there will be 3.

Regardless, prepare for a fight when you decide to take the plunge.

Brian Rubin
06-21-2012, 05:32 PM
That's not a bad idea either, in all honesty.