PDA

View Full Version : Let me just say, I love this game!

SamMcMackin
01-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Congrats on making such a wonderful game, guys! I want to tell you some of the things that I really enjoy about it.

I love how big you can make your stash, with one being shared and one being personal. Plus so many places to put bags! This really helps me out :D

I like all the different quests that become available during game play; I am always on the hunt for the next target to kill.

And probably the best part of the entire game is being able to trade/befriend/annihilate all of the other covenants in town! It is so fun to wipe them all out. :D

But there are two things I am wondering about

First, is it possible to rename my character or covenant after they have been created?

Second, is it possible to change the picture icon of your own covenant? I don’t want to be a book and hammer any more :p

Btw, when do you think 1.005 is going to come out?

Thanks for such a cool game!! :cool:

Shadow
01-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks, glad you like the game.

There is no in-game way to change your name or covenant name. It probably wouldn't be too hard with a hex editor if you really wanted to do it though.

There is a way to mod the game to get a different covenant icon. Look at this thread (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332). It has some instructions on how to change the icon toward the bottom on the first page of the thread.

I'm actually working on version 1.005 right now, so hopefully the beta patch will be released this week.

Gir
01-02-2008, 02:14 PM
I'll jump on this boat.

I've seen some forum aliases here that were used over on the FATE forums some time ago, and that (ohhhhh, plus all the stellar reviews, active development/patching, and randomized content and events that I can't get enough of) has totally sold me on this game. ;)

I've only had the chance to play 5 minutes of the demo this past weekend and it's a project I HAVE to support. My order has been placed and the game downloaded for when I get home.

Thanks for an awesome game and I hope you can keep it coming!

P.S. - I first read about DoP on Bytten, then proceeded to read everything else on the net I could find about it. When I purchased today, it was through BMTMicro. Just for statistical purposes!

SamMcMackin
01-02-2008, 09:29 PM
There is no in-game way to change your name or covenant name. It probably wouldn't be too hard with a hex editor if you really wanted to do it though.

Which files should I be looking thru to change the names? I tried changing them in global.sts and the killdude files but it either didn't work or just froze the game at startup. :p

There is a way to mod the game to get a different covenant icon. Look at this thread (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332). It has some instructions on how to change the icon toward the bottom on the first page of the thread.

I followed all the instructions and got it to work, now the only problem is when I save a picture in photoshop as a .tga it creates a white background behind my icon, even if it was transparent in photoshop, and I don't know how to remove it. :confused:
For now what I did was delete player.ctx and copied LegionofFear's text file and renamed the copy player.txt so now it shows theirs instead.

I'm actually working on version 1.005 right now, so hopefully the beta patch will be released this week.

Awesome! Looking forward to it.

Shadow
01-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Which files should I be looking thru to change the names? I tried changing them in global.sts and the killdude files but it either didn't work or just froze the game at startup. :p

You should just have to change it inside killdude.chr somewhere. It's probably best if you change the filenames of all of the killdude files to the new name also.

You would have to be careful when changing the names though. The game expects the character after the name to be 0 (the hex value not an actual zero) and not to have extra characters. So if your new name is shorter, you would need to remove bytes from the file. If your new name is longer, you would need to be able to insert new bytes into the file.

I followed all the instructions and got it to work, now the only problem is when I save a picture in photoshop as a .tga it creates a white background behind my icon, even if it was transparent in photoshop, and I don't know how to remove it. :confused:
For now what I did was delete player.ctx and copied LegionofFear's text file and renamed the copy player.txt so now it shows theirs instead.

That's an artist question. :) Actually in the menus the game might not use the transparency of the icon in this case. So you might just want to change the white to black.

Kruztee
01-03-2008, 11:57 PM
P.S. - I first read about DoP on Bytten, then proceeded to read everything else on the net I could find about it.

YAY! Somebody who is not my daughter actually reads my reviews!
*happy dance*

In all honesty, DoP was the easiest review I have written all year. :)

Steve.

Gir
01-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Then you'll be happy to know I've been hitting Bytten since between Flatspace and Flatspace 2; I've probably read more than one. :D

SamMcMackin
01-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Flatspace 2 was an awesome game! The only problem I had with it was the larger ship you got the slower you went. :p
I hate moving slow! Thats why I can't play Eschalon: Book 1, ya walk like a snail!! :D