PDA

View Full Version : Overriding

Bluddy
05-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Shadow, I'm trying to convert my mod so it's mostly not patch dependent.

What I wanted to know is, how do the mods work in terms of directory structure? Because there's no feedback, I can't tell if my files are getting loaded. Even if I put errors, I don't seem to get any feedback. As a test, I tried to move my projectilesBal.gdb file which overrides some stuff in projectiles.gdb to the Database/Monsters directory, and it wasn't loaded.

EDIT: The second question I have is, does overriding twice work? If I want to override the expansion's system2.gdb which uses GameSystemExp1, will that work? Do I override GameSystemExp1 or GameSystem?

Thanks in advance.

Shadow
05-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Mods pretty much have to put their database files in the Database directory (not the subdirectories).

I believe you can override an override although I don't think I have ever tried it.

Bluddy
05-18-2011, 04:57 AM
OK just did a test run.

Overriding an override seems to work fine. It also appears that the order of overrides will always be anything in the Assets directory, and then anything in the expansion directories including the known files. That surprised me a little because I thought the database.dbl file controlled the order of loading known files, so I thought the expansion would override before my files in Assets.

BTW it would probably be a good idea to put in some command to delete stuff from a base object, because right now there's no way to do that. Something like just using a minus sign in front of a command.

Also, what's the reason for not searching override files recursively? Since known files (in database.dbl) are searched recursively, it would make sense to do the same with the unknown files, no?

EDIT: Another question: is it possible to view the log of the game as it reads the game files? There must be some output like that you used for debugging, right? It'd really make it easier to know what's being loaded and what's not due to a typo or something.

Shadow
05-18-2011, 09:14 AM
There is very little in the game that actually searches recursively and the only one I can think of is really just used in developer mode. Since it doesn't search recursively Database.dbl does let me organize stuff a little better and rearrange the order.

No there isn't any log for what order everything gets read in.

Bluddy
05-18-2011, 10:09 AM
There is very little in the game that actually searches recursively and the only one I can think of is really just used in developer mode. Since it doesn't search recursively Database.dbl does let me organize stuff a little better and rearrange the order.

Oh sorry. My bad -- I somehow missed the fact that Database.dbl has directories specified. In my mind it was a flat list, which meant that the game had to search recursively.

No there isn't any log for what order everything gets read in.

Too bad. I guess I'll have to keep using temporary, easily discernible values (like StaminaBase 2000) to check that I haven't made mistakes.