PDA

View Full Version : Awesome!!!

Gir
01-02-2008, 10:33 PM
I bought DoP today based on reviews alone, and just completed my first game. It was supposed to be a "diplomatic win" (aka I planned on crushing everyone except one other covenant) but I was momentarily confused by the diplomacy screen and ended up declaring war on my Ally by mistake.

Oh well! Barbarians aren't known for their love of flowers and puppies.

The ONLY trouble that I've had thus far is with the targeting; it's too easy to click on your NPC teammate in the middle of a fight. That's completely minor and the partner was a GIGANTIC help anyway. If there IS some way to work around it a bit, I'm sure that'd help in more hectic fights.

Other than that, I didn't encounter any issues or have any problems. That game was probably 3 hours straight, and I was engrossed every moment of it. My first fight with another covenant (deceitful bastages) really got the adrenaline moving, as I didn't know what to expect aside from the fact that the relative power graph told me I could take them.

Some of the monsters out in the wilderness definitely get a little tricky over time if nobody's out there thinning the herd. My char is level 7 now and one of them managed to chop me clean in half in two hits (in a roughly level 6 area, with a level 9 rogue in tow) -- nothing like a little challenge, though. The rewards were worth it.

All in all, simply awesome, and some of the best indie game money ever spent. The way the other covenants wheedled and parlayed was impressive and definitely made it feel like there was other intelligence running around... especially when they started paying me tribute. Heh.

Thanks, guys. This one will definitely be on my computer for a long time.

SamMcMackin
01-03-2008, 02:08 AM
I totally agree with what he said!

The ONLY trouble that I've had thus far is with the targeting...

Here is what happened to me one time with targeting issues:
I had just finished killing a large mob of unique monsters and was poisoned and on fire pretty bad! I quickly opened a portal and went back to my lifestone to try and recover. Well I only had a tiny amount of hp left and couldn't quiet click above one of my covenant member's body enough to hit the lifestone, so I didn't survive... Some times I wish my recruits weren't so crowded around the stone, it can be hard to click it. :D

Shadow
01-03-2008, 09:30 AM
There are actually hidden solutions to both of those in the game.

If you are accidently clicking on you party members too much and the menus are getting in the way, you can turn on the "Disable party member dialog" option in the Options/Game Options menu.

If you are having issues clicking on the lifestone, you can click directly on your covenant/lifestone heath bar on the right side of the screen. Clicking on the health bar does the same thing as clicking on the lifestone itself.

SamMcMackin
01-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Wow, this is why you get payed the big bucks. :D
Thanks Shadow!

Gir
01-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Ok, the lifestone workaround is really cool, but I'm a little confused about disabling the party member dialog -- do you need to go back into the options and re-enable it if you want to switch around their equipment, or is there a shortcut for NPC eq?

Thanks for the tips!

ShaggyMoose
01-03-2008, 11:03 AM
If you are accidently clicking on you party members too much and the menus are getting in the way, you can turn on the "Disable party member dialog" option in the Options/Game Options menu.
Does this mean that you can't select the "view equipment" option as well?

If you are having issues clicking on the lifestone, you can click directly on your covenant/lifestone heath bar on the right side of the screen. Clicking on the health bar does the same thing as clicking on the lifestone itself.
Wow. I didn't know that. No more dying of poison in my house while I frantically try to click the lifestone...;)

Delve
01-03-2008, 11:40 AM
If you disable the dialog in the options you only have to click on the NPC's life bar on the left of your screen to get the menu. Very convenient, and should be the default behavior IMO.

Also note that you can target spells (at least healing spells you can) at your party members simply by hovering the mouse over the appropriate life bar when you start casting the spell. *Very* convenient in a hectic fight when you've run out of potions and need a knee-jerk healing spell. The pause key is also a convenient way to clear up monster targetting problems.

ShaggyMoose
01-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the tips Delve. I agree, that should be the default behavior; I often get the NPC menu by accident while walking around or fighting.

Another problem I seem to have is sometimes I can't click on a portal because there are too many monsters around! I have died a lot of times because I have gated into an area that is swarming with uniques or heroes and I die in a couple of seconds. Trying to get out again is nearly impossible.

Shadow
01-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Yeah, what Delve said. :)

There is also a hotkey to open up your recruit character page (defaults to the one you are grouped with I believe). This hotkey defaults to F11. Once you have up an NPC page, you can cycle through all of them using the left and right arrow buttons.

Delve
01-03-2008, 12:17 PM
I definitely like the convenience of accessing all the covenant members using the arrow buttons in the recruit window. It stretches suspension of disbelief somewhat but you can literally reequip everyone in your covenant as soon as you find some hot new artifact that you want to wear while still out in the field. Or while standing next to the vendor divvying the loot. ;)

It's also amusing to swap out relics or guards on the fly in the same fashion. :)

Gir
01-03-2008, 01:28 PM
I was VERY glad to see that you could equip relics while nowhere near town!

Thanks for the tips, guys! The more I learn about this game, the more there is to love!