PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful game... a couple suggestions

Slynky
01-03-2008, 12:53 PM
First off, a HUGE thanks for putting together this game. I'm a long time, die-hard Diablo and D2 fan, which means I'm also deeply disappointed each year when Blizzard doesn't announce a sequel. Anyway, I started playing this game about 2 weeks ago after getting the demo off Reflexive. As soon as the demo was up, I bought the full version... I was hooked.

I've been playing a couple hours a day or so, experimenting with the different character types. I eventually gravitated toward the Mage, as this is my overall favorite to play. One of the big gotcha's in D2 was having to be super careful about skill point allocation, one or two bad choices could ruin a character so you can only imagine how happy I was to see that I could go change my points around, providing I could afford it. I LOVE this aspect.

I have noticed a few minor things that be be nice additions/changes:

1. It would be helpful if skill "synergy" effects were displayed in the info screen of their partner skills. Example: Fire mastery increases damage of fire skills by 10% per point. It would be wonderful if this damage increase was noted when you looked at the information screen for the Fireball spell so you could quickly tell your total damage output. There are probably plenty of other examples, but the mage is the character I've spent the most time with.

2. NPC skills - I'm up in the mid-20's now with my mage and continually on the lookout for improved NPC's available for recruitment. Most recently, I've been looking to add a priest to my covenant. I was excited to see a Lvl 25 Priest show up, but deeply disappointed to discover that the Priest lacked any type of healing spell and the Mail Armor skill. The armor thing is minor, but it's hard to imagine a Lvl 25 priest not having any type of healing ability. Maybe the skills could be weighted to ensure that Priests got at least one healing spell.

In this same vein, I've been regularly adding Warriors to my covenant to replace lower level chars. I'm surprised at how few warriors in the 20's level range have the Plate skill. I've only seen 1 so far and have made him my regular adventuring companion.

3. Item transfer chest - I now have one of each character type above lvl 10, but primarily adventure with my Mage. I regularly find items (especially armor) that my Mage can't use, but which would be perfect for one of my other characters. It would be excellent if a chest could be added to the covenant building which you could use to share items between your different characters. Not sure how tough it would be to do this from a coding perspective, but I'd definitely do the happy dance if it were to make it into the game :)

Thanks again for putting out such a great game! It's really amazingly fun and addictive.

Regards,
-Slynky

Gir
01-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi! I can field ONE of these anyway!

3. The "shared loot" chest (left of your bookcase, semi-hidden in the top left corner of the house) does precisely this.

Slynky
01-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Doh! Smacks self on forehead for missing something so obvious...

Thanks a lot for answer! ...Goes off to do the Happy Dance!

Delve
01-03-2008, 01:44 PM
On point 2, I deliberately look for NPCs that don't have the armor skills. But then the character I've used most is a priest, so I'm looking for pure damage output and trust my own skills to keep them alive.

Shadow
01-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Looks like you already got answers to most of these. :)

I have it on the list to possibly show the mage's masteries a little better.

The priests never have healing. We decided for various reasons not to have the NPCs have the healing skills, but the biggest reason is that it would be a balancing nightmare.

Slynky
01-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks Shadow. Great that you have such an active and helpful presence here on these boards.

Completely understood on the healing for NPC priests, had never thought about how it might unbalance things. Would it be possible to have them just have the ability to self-heal? The reason I noticed this in the first place is that when I took my NPC priest out to adventure with me, I had to keep tossing healing potions and food on him to keep him alive... struck me as a little odd that I had to do this with a Priest.

Again, thanks to all for the help and information.

Shadow
01-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Self healing could be a possibly. I'll have to think about it. My main worry would be about how unbalancing that would be. Would priests become the only recruits people picked up? Recruits on your side and in the other covenants would have self healing all of a sudden. Would this make enemy priests way more powerful? How much would this change raids?

Delve
01-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Well, if you're talking about a skill, they already have one that shouldn't be horribly unbalancing. Regeneration is a self only skill, and isn't powerful enough (at lower skill ranks anyway, and higher skill ranks suggest larger damage potential as well) to influence a raid much. But having a party member that can heal himself while resting without needing a 7 course meal every few minutes would be spectacular.

I'm not sure if NPCs can currently get the regen skill, I don't remember having seen one though.

I'd personally consider a priest or two to beaf up my covenant house in case of a war (less attrition during multiple raids), but it wouldn't be enough by itself to outweight the damage potential of other classes. Though my main character is a priest herself, so mostly I provide the healing manually.

Kruztee
01-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Would priests become the only recruits people picked up?

As it is, recently the priest is the only recruit that I won't challenge for. The just don't seem to be able to deal the DPS that the other classes can, and without the healing I find them next to useless as recruits. Have I just been unlucky in the skills that have spawned on them? Why do others like them?:confused:

Incidentally, of my four player characters (one from each class and all around lvl 28) my priest is by far the weakest, however this is somewhat offset by her buffing and healing skills (especially good in raids).

Delve
01-04-2008, 05:11 PM
I find my priest able to survive pretty significant onslaughts as a tank. I generally run around healing while my warrior peels off a mob here and there to polish off. Anytime they start in after him I throw a heal spell at him to reacquire aggro. As long as there's nothing with power burn in the mix it works pretty well.

Granted that I haven't been playing for very long, just up to lvl 30 priest and a fledgling rogue that I started today.