PDA

View Full Version : Blocking

TGS
06-13-2011, 12:01 PM
I was just playing a Level 4 rogue I started just at random and I noticed he kept blocking hits... even though he has no shield. In fact he simply had a single dagger.

How do the block mechanics work and is it normal for a character without a shield to be able to block?

It really doesn't seem right that characters without shields can block as it kinda detracts away from using shields. In other games the whole point of using a shield isn't just as an additional "stat" item but primarily to open up the ability to block as a additional form of mitigation.

Shadow
06-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Everyone has a little block capability. If you had a shield your chances of blocking would go up a lot.

TGS
06-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Everyone has a little block capability. If you had a shield your chances of blocking would go up a lot.

Well I am fairly new to the game... but wouldn't it make sense not to have any block ability if you don't actually have a shield? After all "blocking" without a shield is parrying which appears to also be on the attack table.

Shadow
06-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Well I am fairly new to the game... but wouldn't it make sense not to have any block ability if you don't actually have a shield? After all "blocking" without a shield is parrying which appears to also be on the attack table.

Yes it would make more sense. :)

TGS
06-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Yes it would make more sense. :)

I don't wanna be an ass about it but perhaps it would be an idea to remove the block when a shield is not equipped and increase the parry or one of the other avoidance stats to compensate?

I have to say I love the game though and the fact that you have an attack table system is awesome, but yeah... blocking without a shield just makes my brain hurt lol. Possibly because I think to myself what am I blocking with? Maybe I'm blocking with my head?

Antigrav
06-13-2011, 04:17 PM
I don't wanna be an ass about it but perhaps it would be an idea to remove the block when a shield is not equipped and increase the parry or one of the other avoidance stats to compensate?

I have to say I love the game though and the fact that you have an attack table system is awesome, but yeah... blocking without a shield just makes my brain hurt lol. Possibly because I think to myself what am I blocking with? Maybe I'm blocking with my head?

A parry is just another kind of block, but implies that you are countering an attack with your own weapon. Plenty of martial arts moves are blocks, without necessarily holding anything.

There are also wolves in the game (and animals in practically any RPG) that block and parry. I would just let it go and imagine your rogue is more resourceful than you've given him credit for!

TGS
06-13-2011, 05:33 PM
A parry is just another kind of block, but implies that you are countering an attack with your own weapon. Plenty of martial arts moves are blocks, without necessarily holding anything.

There are also wolves in the game (and animals in practically any RPG) that block and parry. I would just let it go and imagine your rogue is more resourceful than you've given him credit for!

lol ohhh don't get me started on npc's blocking :D Back in the early days of a certain MMO that I'm sure everyone is familiar with I had a lot of gripe towards NPC's blocking that had no rational blocking method.

While I do agree that martial artists can block using various parts of their body this game and other games have various mechanics to define various avoidance methods. IE Parry, Deflection, Evasion, Dodge (Going off what is in this game) so technically speaking if you want to use the logic that we are simply blocking through some other means that could be counted as a deflection. Avoidance is avoidance... it doesn't matter what you call it. The main reason I bring it up the way I do is because someone who is using a shield in most games like this is giving up a level of "dps" for the extra/added defense that comes with the usage of the shield. So yeah I am probably nit picking a bit here but I love playing defensive characters and I personally like block being somewhat unique to shields. IE you choose to use a shield you are adding an extra chance of avoidance. Not simply boosting one that everyone has.

That all being said... it's up to the devs. There could be a reason they have it the way they do. The balance might be messed up if such a change were made. I'm just saying I would love to see "block" become exclusive to shields and the avoidance that non-shield users lose from the change be put somewhere else.

TGS
06-15-2011, 03:47 PM
lol speaking of block. It's funny that the Defender "Block" ability can be performed without having a shield equipped. And that it doesn't actually seem to make a bit of difference to the actual block mechanic because everything seems to be stunned before they finish their attack.

It's rather awkward actually since the block mechanic for defenders would seem to be a primary mana income concept yet because the mobs don't actually hit the defender due to the stun.

So I guess the question is... is that a bug or feature? The fact that the block ability doesn't block due to the stun that is.

Shadow
06-17-2011, 11:50 AM
You should get the mana boost when they get stunned, because you should have blocked the attack that got them stunned. You aren't going to get any block related mana gains while they continue to be stunned though.

TGS
06-17-2011, 11:54 AM
You should get the mana boost when they get stunned, because you should have blocked the attack that got them stunned. You aren't going to get any block related mana gains while they continue to be stunned though.

Oh okay... I was thinking that because I didn't see any "block" messages at all that attacks weren't actually being blocked and that in reality what it appeared was that they were being stunned before they even landed the blow. IE some mobs would get stunned just as they started their swings (I'd even watch them with their arms in the air lol)