PDA

View Full Version : ATI windows 7 freeze bug?

vert
07-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Is there some issue with ATI and windows 7 that would cause my game to freeze? My friends don't have any issues and they are both using nvidia(one xp, one windows 7)

For me it seems to only happen when I am going into inventory I believe, or at least most of the time. The game will just freeze my entire system and I have to hard boot to fix it. It is totally random, and can happen twice in an hour, or not at all for 6 hours.

Note: This only seems to happen in multiplayer?

vert
07-19-2011, 01:33 AM
Having someone else host seemed to fix the crashing issue. Not sure what caused it though :)

Shadow
07-19-2011, 10:56 AM
There isn't anything specific that I know of that would cause that especially that would go away when someone else hosts.

profanicus
10-14-2011, 09:18 PM
I have had this a few times, a freeze with stripey lines on the screen that requires a hard reset.
This is in single player, but also on ATI hardware and Windows 7.

ShaggyMoose
01-26-2012, 08:07 AM
I know this is an old thread, but anyway.

I have just had three hard lock crashes of Din's Curse within one hour. This is very strange, since I have played this game for a long time without that ever happening before. Also, other games/applications do not have this issue. Since I played last, I have changed my video card (4850 to 6950), installed DX11 and updated my drivers (Cat 11.12). Each crash happened in town and I might have even been healing at Din's altar each time. I realise this is practically impossible to diagnose (its not overheating), but just curious if anyone else has experienced this lately?

ShaggyMoose
01-27-2012, 09:38 PM
This has happened a further three times, all in town. The last three times I was in the inventory screen, not healing at the altar. Some issue with this version of Catalyst drivers? :(

EDIT: Still happening... No crashes experienced in any other application. Always crashes in town. WTF?

ShaggyMoose
02-12-2012, 05:23 AM
This is still happening to me. It only occurs in town. Some towns are more frequent than others. Today I have had the same town crash 6 times, while others have no crashes at all. Not sure if its related to a particular event or property?

Is this happening to anyone else at all?

Bluddy
02-12-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm repeating myself with this advice, but try to update the OpenAL files in your installation if you haven't done so already. You need the 2 openal dlls (wrap_oal.dll and OpenAL32.dll) from here (http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/oalinst.zip)

ShaggyMoose
02-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, the crash still happens. :(

The symptoms remind me of when I used to get an IRQ conflict on a sound card back in ye olden dayes. Tight stuttering of the last played sound with a hard lock.

Bluddy
02-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Have you disabled antialiasing? That seems to be causing problems with ATI cards. Also, have you played on the lowest graphic settings?

ShaggyMoose
02-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Not using AA. Haven't tried playing on the lowest settings, its not something I am prepared to do as a fix. Might just have to shelve the game again until the next time I upgrade video drivers.

Bluddy
02-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Not using AA. Haven't tried playing on the lowest settings, its not something I am prepared to do as a fix. Might just have to shelve the game again until the next time I upgrade video drivers.

It's not a good fix, but if you find that the crashes stop, and you work your way backwards, you might be able to find the problem. It's not like Shadow has an army of testers who are going to find and fix the issue, and it really seems like there's a big problem with recent ATI drivers.

ShaggyMoose
02-12-2012, 09:13 PM
If it really is the video drivers, I am surprised no one else is facing the issue. I would love to help narrow down the cause, especially since its effectively stopping me from playing the game right now, but the field is too broad.

Castruccio
02-12-2012, 09:16 PM
I can say that the latest ATI Catalyst drivers (12.1) are working fine for me with DC. In DoP, on the other hand, the foliage textures still flicker a great deal when AA is enabled.

Bluddy
02-12-2012, 09:56 PM
It's pretty disappointing that ATI is doing such a lousy job with their drivers. DC and DoP use very basic 3d functionality -- there aren't any fancy tricks that should cause problems.

ShaggyMoose, it seems like the freeze you describe has nothing to do with anything being drawn on-screen. The sound getting stuck makes it sound more like the sound thread is freezing and taking all of the CPU resources with it, which would implicate your sound drivers or openAL.

Try the following: go into DC, press the ~ key, then type in
setUserVar s_initSound 0
<enter>

Make sure to keep the capitalized letters capitalized. Then restart DC and it should start without sound. See if it crashes now.

To restore sound later on, use the same command but put 1 instead of 0.

ShaggyMoose
02-12-2012, 10:19 PM
I will give it a go without sound for a bit. I wonder how many times I am going to die from traps? :rolleyes:

Bluddy
02-12-2012, 10:21 PM
I will give it a go without sound for a bit. I wonder how many times I am going to die from traps? :rolleyes:

I always play without sound (not disabling it, just on mute) because I usually play on my laptop while my wife watches a TV show :)

ShaggyMoose
02-12-2012, 10:55 PM
I always play without sound (not disabling it, just on mute) because I usually play on my laptop while my wife watches a TV show :)
I will say this; Rygars and Creeping Broods with no sound are ^#&$^*%&#^...

Good news is, its not a sound related crash; it died again in town after about 30 minutes. Bad news is, I still don't know what's causing it.

EDIT: Based on Castruccio's comment, I will try updating from 11.12 to 12.1 Cats.

ShaggyMoose
02-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Been playing with the 12.1 Cats for about two hours now with no crashes. Hope its safe to say that the 11.12 drivers were the cause of my misery. Avoid!

Thanks Bluddy and Castruccio for your help.

Bluddy
02-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Glad to see it worked out and well done Castruccio.

Castruccio
02-13-2012, 12:15 PM
No prob. Now if the next Catalyst drivers would only remedy the DoP foliage texture issue...

Bluddy
02-13-2012, 12:18 PM
No prob. Now if the next Catalyst drivers would only remedy the DoP foliage texture issue...

Yeah it's really annoying. I feel like the whole way they develop drivers is messed up. There should be 2 different code paths: one for legacy apps, and one for the new games that they keep modifying the drivers for. And the new game path should ONLY work when a specific list of new games is run. This way, they never touch the legacy path that most games use unless there really is a serious bug there. Instead, they keep changing the drivers for the flashy new games, screwing over any old games or games that aren't high profile enough to force them to fix the drivers.

Shadow
02-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Thank you Castruccio and Bluddy for helping out ShaggyMoose.

ShaggyMoose
02-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Instead, they keep changing the drivers for the flashy new games, screwing over any old games or games that aren't high profile enough to force them to fix the drivers.
This would be why I don't upgrade unless I have a pressing reason to... Used to be that each driver release gave a decent increase in performance across the board. Now there are just a bunch of quick fixes for the flavour of the month and apparently no regression testing for any other titles.