PDA

View Full Version : Races in the New Game?

GeorgiaBoy
08-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Hi Shadow,

I was wondering whether an Antaran-like race (triggered by random event or timer AI controlled that is very powerful and invades mid-game), a Borg-like race (again, triggered by random event or timer--AI controlled invades mid to late game and assimulates other races), a race which overwhelms by sheer numbers and reproduces like rabbits, and/or a race that eats other races, making it stronger (think Ithkul from MoO3 or a vampire race)...

Thanks for the great games, Shadow! I have high hopes for this one as well!

Thanks for your time,

GB

Shadow
08-18-2011, 01:08 PM
We will have lots of things that will pop up in the middle of the game. I'm not sure I would call them races exactly but we do have something similar to the Borg and the Ithkul.

GeorgiaBoy
08-18-2011, 04:16 PM
We will have lots of things that will pop up in the middle of the game. I'm not sure I would call them races exactly but we do have something similar to the Borg and the Ithkul.

1) Can an event similar to the Antaran invasion (MoO 2) be modded into the game

2) Will there be weapons silimar to the special weapons from MoO2 in this game?

3) Finally, will there be a Guardian of a planet when you defeat, you get a unique tech?

As you can tell, I REALLY like MoO 2, but do not like the micromanagement of planets after conquest in MoO2. This game appears to have the best of both worlds!

Preorder?

GB

Shadow
08-18-2011, 05:18 PM
1) Can an event similar to the Antaran invasion (MoO 2) be modded into the game

2) Will there be weapons silimar to the special weapons from MoO2 in this game?

3) Finally, will there be a Guardian of a planet when you defeat, you get a unique tech?

Preorder?

1) There will be uprisings, attacks, invasions, etc.
2) There will be many types of special weapons. Anything specific you have in mind?
3) I believe there will be some worlds that have guardians, not sure what the rewards will be.
4) I'm pretty sure we will have preorders, but it's going to be a while still.

GeorgiaBoy
08-19-2011, 11:15 PM
1) There will be uprisings, attacks, invasions, etc.
2) There will be many types of special weapons. Anything specific you have in mind?
3) I believe there will be some worlds that have guardians, not sure what the rewards will be.
4) I'm pretty sure we will have preorders, but it's going to be a while still.

1)Invasions mid-game by a brand new race (to that game)?

2) Here are some suggestions for weapon modifications during the ship design phase:

Point Defense--Cuts range, but increases fire rate.
Ignores Armor
Ignores Shields
Extended Range
No Range Limitation
Rapid Fire--Increases Fire Rate, decreases chance to hit.
Energy Focus--1.5x damage/3x cost.
Overloaded--Double Damage/4X Cost
All components can be mininturized.

Reinforced Hull--Ship has double hitpoints for 2.5x cost.
Armor can have increased hitpoints for increased space taken and cost.

Here are some ship component concepts:

Stasis Field--Freezes ship in place for that turn
Limpet Mines--Launches like a torpedo, but with each hit, slows down the target ship by X%.
Shield Depleting Weapons/Shields that are immune from depletion.
Anti Missles-Defends against missles only.
Antimatter Vortex--Destroys any one ship (of same size or less) in X time per ship size.--must destroy ship creating gateway to save ship.
Plasma Web--Slows target and does damage for each turn the target remains in the web or the web is destroyed. The web can be targeted.
Ionic Pulse--Area of Effect weapon inflicting damage on every enemy ship and missle in range.
Repair Drones
Energy Draining Field--Substitutes for shields, drains X% of incoming energy weapons.
Refraction Field--Any energy directed at field is refracted at X% back at the shooter.
Displacement Field--Lowers chance for weapons to hit.
Hard Shields--Exempt from 'ignores shields' modifier. Stops/slows damage from every weapon.
High Energy Field--Area of Effect weapon, destroys any missle, fighter, or bomber in its range. Think of a mosquito zapper as an example.
Self-Destruct Weapon (of course for any ship besides the primary ship). This has good 'bang for the buck' so to speak.
Shield Rechargers--Recharges shields at X%
Tractor Beam--Slows enemy movement, makes hitting enemy easier. Stronger beams can rip target ship apart depending on target ship size/shielding/armor.
Warp Dissipator--Prevents escape of targeted ship.
Nanite Streamer--Takes control of an enemy ships systems, giving you control of the ship.Some races immune.
Spacial Compressor--Enables more conponents (X% or raw number) on a ship.
Subspace Phasing Device--Enables ship to 'phase out', so energy or a projectile passes straight through.

3) Excellent.
4) In time for Christmas?

Will there be race-specific tech--tech only available to that race unless bought, traded for, or stolen?

BTW, here are some more ideas for races/species:

1) Cybernetic--Not organic (a plus), but eats production as well as food.
2) Gaseous-- Species exists only on gas giants. Low reproduction.
3) Astral--Can exist in outer space. Cannot tolerate gravity, so cannot colonize planets. Reproduction verrrry slow.
4) Geodic--Rock colonies only--Atmosphere does not matter.
5) Shapeshifter--Can change appearance to fool scanners into believing another race is there or nothing at all...does not gain the bonuses (bonii) of the impersonated race, though.
6) Pure Energy--Achieved through research at the end of the tech tree (plus a ruins finding(s)--possible victory condition).

Finally, how about an optional victory condition when if you find X amount of special artifacts, you win the game. Of course, getting those will not be easy. The more you get, the more jealous/angry the other races get at the player...

Whew. Any thoughts, Shadow (or anyone else)?

GB

Shadow
08-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Well unlike something like MOO we have a lot of "monsters" that can build up and invade. Since they were likely already present it won't be quite like the Antarans, but they aren't one of the main races either.

I'm not sure if we will have anything publicly playable this year.

I'm not sure about the race specific tech. It makes sense and would be cool, but might be too much to pull off very well.

There is a lot of good ideas in there, many of which I'm currently planning on at least trying out.

GeorgiaBoy
08-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Well unlike something like MOO we have a lot of "monsters" that can build up and invade. Since they were likely already present it won't be quite like the Antarans, but they aren't one of the main races either..

Too late in the development cycle to add a new to the game main race that invades mid game?

I'm not sure if we will have anything publicly playable this year..

Rats.

I'm not sure about the race specific tech. It makes sense and would be cool, but might be too much to pull off very well..

Hopefully it will not be too much to pull off.

There is a lot of good ideas in there, many of which I'm currently planning on at least trying out.

Which ones did you like? PM me if you like.

Thanks for the quick responses as usual, Shadow.

GB

Castruccio
08-23-2011, 12:11 AM
Might we start getting screenshots later this year?

Shadow
08-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Too late in the development cycle to add a new to the game main race that invades mid game?

Which ones did you like? PM me if you like.

I was trying to say that I think we will have invasions in the middle of the game because of how the monsters work. It just won't be something completely random like the Antarans in MOO.

Most of the ideas were cool. :) I have many of the weapon ideas already on the list and added some more from yours. Some of our races even match some of yours.

Might we start getting screenshots later this year?

Oh, I'm sure we will have screenshots before the end of the year.

GeorgiaBoy
08-25-2011, 10:29 AM
I was trying to say that I think we will have invasions in the middle of the game because of how the monsters work. It just won't be something completely random like the Antarans in MOO.

Most of the ideas were cool. :) I have many of the weapon ideas already on the list and added some more from yours. Some of our races even match some of yours..

Thanks for the info, Shadow. Last question...how about the victory condition when the player (or an AI) collects X artifacts to win the game?

GB

Shadow
08-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the info, Shadow. Last question...how about the victory condition when the player (or an AI) collects X artifacts to win the game?

I do like having multiple ways to win, but off hand that sounds a bit too easy.

GeorgiaBoy
08-26-2011, 01:47 PM
I do like having multiple ways to win, but off hand that sounds a bit too easy.

Not if the AI gets progressively more mad at the player as more artifacts are collected. For example, the player who was originally on friendly terms with a race--that race would now be neutral, then as more artifacts are collected, attack the player on sight. Of course, the races the player was not so friendly with would be even less happy to see the player now. Another artifact toward victory would be say, a powerful shield or armor. Collecting this would not make for an unhappy AI. However, it also has a curse of bringing bad events on the player.

Naturally, to complicate matters further, the artifact(s) can be stolen, traded, or sold. Once the artifact(s) are not in your possession, your relationships with races would recover to a point, but not fully.

To encourage the player to take this option, the individual artifacts would have to be progressively more powerful indeed to help the player stay alive.

Thoughts, Shadow?

GB

GeorgiaBoy
08-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Any thoughts, anybody?

Shadow
08-29-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure it will fit with this particular game or not yet, but it's definitely an interesting idea. What happens on a new galaxy? Do the artifacts carry over or are they galaxy specific? In general items that can be stolen or are non-permanent in other ways are hard to get away with.

Wakuseino
08-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Hm. One potential idea is that you don't collect the artifacts, but a team does. Only one can be placed per planet/system whatever, and the presence encourages monsters and enemies to attack the planet and destroy the artifact. Thus, the artifact option turns into a sort of "hold the line" scenario where you have to protect an inanimate object from danger. Essentially, they would exist in the theoretical space that all quest objects exist in until you brought it to X planet (which is the actual initial quest), and then everything gets a bit more aggressive with intent to destroy the artifact building.

Of course, this means that artifacts can't be traded as easily, but it's a potential idea.

This is just my random idea on it, of course.

DeathKnight1728
10-16-2011, 01:33 AM
I have a few questions on races shadow. Do races impact the so called build that your character or "ship" has? So like, for example, a demon race is notorious for having insane amounts of shields. Or another race is better at breaching through defenses. Are those the kind of differences we will see with how we pick our character?

Shadow
10-17-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure yet. I'm not even sure you will be able to pick your race.

DeathKnight1728
10-17-2011, 02:29 PM
It doesnt really matter with races, all I care about is that when i make a character, i can customize the crap out of it and make my char unique. You dont need races to do that. It may make things easier but is more of a novelty. In the end, what matters the most is like i said before, the choices for your customization of character and how he or she is made. Basically, having a character that is different with each user.