PDA

View Full Version : Item collecting tips/observations

Areli
01-09-2008, 06:00 AM
Just some quick notes about some things I have observed.

1) Always have six opposing covenants. The reason is quite simply because this will give you better chances at finding good items. Whenever I start a new game, the first thing I do is check the town vendors for useful rare/set/unique items and then look through each covenants' Trade Items list. I would say that I have found almost as many unique and set items from other covenants at the start of each game than I have in over 35 levels of adventuring.

2) Contrarily, I've never found anything better than green 'uncommon' items from gambling (albeit I do not often visit the gambling merchant).

3) Also, since potions of treasure-finding cannot be bought consistently, I've decided to start saving those for the final raids on the opposing covenants. The reasoning behind this is that with each covenant you defeat, you are guaranteed a quality treasure box a few levels above you; especially the end-game box in the middle of town. In order to prevent these valuable boxes from being a smattering of green and grey items, I quaff a treasure finding potion as I'm destroying the final opposing covenant in order to have a better chance of high quality items from that box as well as the end-game box (Many of the potions only last for 5 minutes and you lose the effect if you are killed; so don't drink the treasure potions until victory is almost complete lest the effects be lost).

Any more tips or further discussion of the above is welcome.

Delve
01-09-2008, 07:04 AM
I use those potions as I'm wiping up named monster groups or secret zone chests as well. Good idea on the reward chests, however couldn't you wait to use the potion when you actually open the chest rather than before the chest appears? I would think the contents are generated when the chest is opened, rather than when the chest is created.

ShaggyMoose
01-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Steven would have to confirm that. It could go either way...

Shadow
01-09-2008, 09:32 AM
I probably shouldn't answer this since some mystery is good. :) You can wait until right before you open the chest to use the potion. The items aren't generated until you open the chest.

The other place I use treasure find potions is when I'm close to killing one of the bosses. Also once I drink one, I tend to ignore everything else if possible and loot as many items as possible while the potion effects are still working.