PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions

caldur
09-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Played the game for couple days and got fascinated to it. Personally I like it better than Torchlight (can't bear with the loading), and the hybrid class setup reminds me of Titan Quest.

Just got a few questions I want to make sure of, mostly about the mages. I've done some search on the forum, but haven't found answers for them.

1. I actually experimented it, but just to double check: for hybrids such as druid/druid, the effect of two earth mastery do stack right? (As from my experience they do...btw earthquake rocks)

2. Concentration (Ice mage) works on reducing the effect of combat reduction factor of mana regen, am I right?

3. I think I've seen Shadow mentioned somewhere that Cold Mastery works on the physical portion of Shatter, though it shouldn't. So I just want to know if it has been changed since.

4. A modding issue. I tried to make a Chinese localization mod, but the game engine seemes to recognize only single byte ansi (1252, iirc) and couldn't go with unicode. Any way around to make it work?

Thank you.

Shadow
09-27-2011, 09:40 AM
1) Yes, they should stack.
2) Concentration will help speed up mana regen at all times (in and out of combat).
3) I could be wrong, but I don't remember changing it.
4) The game doesn't fully support unicode so Chinese isn't going to work.

caldur
09-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the reply!

Roswitha
09-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to make the game support unicode?

Bluddy
09-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to make the game support unicode?

From general C++ programming experience, if the game doesn't support unicode, there are quite a few changes that need to be made, and there is a lot of potential for bugs, all of which means a long development time.

Shadow
09-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Yeah it's probably weeks of work. The engine does have partial support for unicode but not everything. Even with full unicode Chinese would take extra work because of how their characters and how our fonts work.

scepticmale1985
10-10-2011, 04:16 AM
Development of full unicode support will be time taking I guess, not to mention it will also be vulnerable to bugs

Crisses
10-20-2011, 10:17 PM
What encoding would you use for a language with funky characters? I'm trying some encodings for spanish/espaņol and haven't been able to hit the right file encoding yet...

Shadow
10-21-2011, 10:42 AM
What encoding would you use for a language with funky characters? I'm trying some encodings for spanish/espaņol and haven't been able to hit the right file encoding yet...

Doesn't Spanish work in just normal ascii encoding?

Crisses
10-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Doesn't Spanish work in just normal ascii encoding?

Uh -- I don't think there's such a thing as "normal ascii encoding" -- There's a bunch of formats like UTF-8, Mac OS has its own, Windows Latin 1, etc. I could keep playing with saving the file in a variety of formats until I find one that works.... after UTF-8 failed I thought I would ask. File name as Espaņol didn't work, nor do the special characters in the file. The german file works, but when I open it it looks funky in my own editor (may be because I don't have language support for german installed on my computer, or it might be the font I'm using doesn't support the umlats and such). I couldn't figure out the text encoding used in the German files.

Crisses
10-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Oh, yeah, and in switching between languages, I lost my keyboard bindings :/ Can I just put the files needed in the language folders or do I have to put all the files in the Loc/English file in there?

Shadow
10-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Oh, you are on a Mac. I'm not sure what counts as normal on a Mac. :) Windows Latin might work. You should just want the same encoding as our text files usually are.

You don't have to include all of the files. It will just use the English version of any files that aren't in the language you setup.

neilkher
10-29-2011, 04:02 AM
yea, i was also wondering about these steps, that you told.

Thanks

Amberjoy
11-13-2011, 10:59 PM
I have a question about Demon War add-on. Can it be removed?
How do I do that? I have a Mac.

I have Din's Curse on my laptop and Din's Curse plus Demon War on my main computer. My son is borrowing my laptop for a few weeks.

If I remove Demon War will it mess up my character's I've been playing in it?

I sometimes get tired of running around 'donating stuff' and just want to play the straight game. :)

Bluddy
11-13-2011, 11:10 PM
I have a question about Demon War add-on. Can it be removed?
How do I do that? I have a Mac.

I have Din's Curse on my laptop and Din's Curse plus Demon War on my main computer. My son is borrowing my laptop for a few weeks.

If I remove Demon War will it mess up my character's I've been playing in it?

I sometimes get tired of running around 'donating stuff' and just want to play the straight game. :)

The easiest way to remove it is to move the file 'expansionPresent.txt' that's in your Applications/Din's Curse/Expansions/DemonWar/Assets folder elsewhere. That will disable the expansion, but there's a chance your characters won't work without it. For example, you might have an item in your inventory that is only generated by the expansion. You should also definitely create a new world.

Other than making donations to starving NPCs, is there anything else you want temporarily removed? I can make a mod where all NPCs are rich and none are starving, if that helps. Since Demon War adds a lot of extra stuff, it'd be a shame to turn the expansion off and miss out on all the other good stuff.

Amberjoy
11-14-2011, 12:53 AM
The easiest way to remove it is to move the file 'expansionPresent.txt' that's in your Applications/Din's Curse/Expansions/DemonWar/Assets folder elsewhere. That will disable the expansion, but there's a chance your characters won't work without it. For example, you might have an item in your inventory that is only generated by the expansion. You should also definitely create a new world.

Other than making donations to starving NPCs, is there anything else you want temporarily removed? I can make a mod where all NPCs are rich and none are starving, if that helps. Since Demon War adds a lot of extra stuff, it'd be a shame to turn the expansion off and miss out on all the other good stuff.

Give me a day or two to think about it - the mod that is and if I want something else 'deleted'. Thanks for the thought.

edit: Okay, can't think of anything else to put in mod. If you can just make a mod stopping the NPC's from begging, that would be great...Mac version please. (or if it's for all - do it that way)

Thank you very much.

PixelLord
11-18-2011, 11:31 AM

I pestered Steven to make starving/in-debt NPCs a game option, but... Oh, well... :) I just run around town at the beginning of a new town and make sure everyone has enough money to get by 'till I finish the town, but it's still a nuisance.

Amberjoy
11-18-2011, 04:02 PM
I pestered Steven to make starving/in-debt NPCs a game option, but... Oh, well... :) I just run around town at the beginning of a new town and make sure everyone has enough money to get by 'till I finish the town, but it's still a nuisance.

Yes, that's what I've ended up doing in each town the last few days. But that is not an option when you first start the game. I also stock up on crap items (ones I found only) when ready to go to the next town to put in Warmasters equipment/lottery when I first arrive.

Bluddy
11-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Here's the mod (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22120175/Din%27s%20Curse/assetsNoStarvation.zip) I made. Drop this in your Din's Curse/Expansion/DemonWar/Assets directory.

The mod still allows starvation, but it should (in theory) only happen when there's some event that causes it. I changed NPCs to eat at 1/2 the rate they did before, and no NPCs will start out poor. Let me know if this is a good enough change, or if too many NPCs still starve.

Amberjoy
11-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Here's the mod (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22120175/Din%27s%20Curse/assetsNoStarvation.zip) I made. Drop this in your Din's Curse/Expansion/DemonWar/Assets directory.

The mod still allows starvation, but it should (in theory) only happen when there's some event that causes it. I changed NPCs to eat at 1/2 the rate they did before, and no NPCs will start out poor. Let me know if this is a good enough change, or if too many NPCs still starve.

:o Gee, thanks! I'll try it out and let you know how it goes. :)

Amberjoy
02-14-2012, 10:49 PM
:o Gee, thanks! I'll try it out and let you know how it goes. :)

Old 11-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Bluddy
Legend

Here's the mod I made. Drop this in your Din's Curse/Expansion/DemonWar/Assets directory.

Bluddy, Just thought I'd give you an update on this. I finally figured out that when you 'talk' to the npc's mod does give them $ BUT it doesn't 'stick' and you get no reward (+reputation) for being nice. :) Sometimes if the amount is very large (random) some of it does stay in their pocket so to speak. So I still have to 'donate' on reaching a town. I've now got tot he point of putting stuff in the 'share' box for 1st level to sell and have cash on hand. After that I just run around the town giving everyone money and then go see what quests are needed. And, some towns have a lot of npc's with no cash at all when you first arrive.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Bluddy
02-14-2012, 11:33 PM
There must be some bug in the game that's causing that, because I'm barely changing anything. Sounds like it's sensitive to the few changes I am making.

What I'll try doing is not modifying the hunger variables (which could be triggering the bug) and just changing the starting money amounts for the NPCs. Here's the link (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22120175/Din%27s%20Curse/assetsNoStarvation.zip) again in case you want to try it once more.

Bluddy
02-17-2012, 11:54 AM
I have noticed this issue now. I think it only happens under certain circumstances: when NPCs have 0 CP and you give them a small amount, it seems to jump back to 0. This may be them spending the money right away on food. Since the quest is most likely to get them out of debt, that doesn't happen until they're past 0 (I think). The second option is that it's a decimal fraction thing. In any case, it didn't seem to happen for me in higher levels, when you donate bigger sums of money.

Amberjoy
02-17-2012, 05:26 PM
I have noticed this issue now. I think it only happens under certain circumstances: when NPCs have 0 CP and you give them a small amount, it seems to jump back to 0. This may be them spending the money right away on food. Since the quest is most likely to get them out of debt, that doesn't happen until they're past 0 (I think). The second option is that it's a decimal fraction thing. In any case, it didn't seem to happen for me in higher levels, when you donate bigger sums of money.

Yes, I did notice once I got higher than level 8. Actually, when they get down to zero or less, the problem still pops up unless I donate twice, ie. get them over 5 coppers. No biggie. Thanks for the help. I never get my characters over 21 levels by the way. My ol' mind and reflexes can't take it when it gets higher. :(

Gah! That reminds me, birthday next month - I turn 67. Wonder if I should start lying and say its the 38th anniversary of my 29th birthday? :rolleyes: