PDA

View Full Version : Wage Slaves

jshar
10-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Pay?! Ok, this is the space faring future here! An intelligent species doesn't get to that stage without replacing the monetary system.

Here's the dealů

Navigator: Captain, I would like my pay and due to inflation rates would also like a promotion.

Captain: That's really not financially viable since robotic automation has long ago advanced beyond the capabilities of an unmodified human brain and these automations will work 24/7 for free. Technically, I'm already losing a margin of profit having you here at all, not to mention the wasted cargo space providing you with the basic requirements of carbon based lifeforms. Do you not have your own special corner to poop in?

Navigator: Back to work then.

Shadow
10-17-2011, 10:35 AM
That may be true in our future, but in the Drox universe you get paid for your services so they do too. :)

jshar
10-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Well, lets have a think about this!

I'm all for using money as a means to pace character progression. Its simple, fits in with the whole "treasure hunting" aspect of dungeon exploring without breaking immersion.

But consider my example. It almost breaks the immersion here, doesn't it? Don't we play games to escape from our forced employment for a while? Forget these kinda human society issues?

So, lets get some more info on this idea!

The reason you decided crew needs xxx $ in the money variable or they'll stop working is....?

What positive effect does this add to the game?
-makes the crew members seem more alive and real.

What neg?
-if you're going badly it compounds on you, maybe frustrating you. Perhaps if you actually GET this low on money you CANT come back, so the crew leave and its a fast Game Over? Like pulling off a bandage quickly, is that the idea? Then you can rehire them from the Tavern, ala HOMAM?

So, the "real" comes from how they have stuff going on in their lives. You deal with money, so you make it about money. That's our primitive 2011 world view. But it doesn't HAVE to be money.

Understand money is an ancient control mechanism. resources -- money -- people. Resources on Earth run out, what use is money? Do the owners of banks worry about money? Nah, its just to keep the little guys working! How much does USA owe to a privately owned bank? 15,000,000,000,000,000?

And even if an alien race did still use money... If they came to earth they could observe a 95% devaluation of the USA currency since 1913. Those aliens would be facepalming!
"how do you build a stable economy if your money doesnt have a stable value?!"
"Why would we trade our alien$ for these earth $$ when they become worthless paper in just 100 years?!"

If an alien came to earth he'd trade with resources and technology, not bits of paper not even backed up with a resource (eg. gold) standard!

To the keen observer and science fiction veteran a whole group of aliens grouped together on a ship getting pissed off that their paycheck of American dollars is late it only BREAKS the immersion.

SO...

What kind of incentives would people from the future have for being part of a spaceship crew? Pretty relevant question. Don't say money. :P

PS. Super excited about the game. I'll be buying it for sure so I'm not just here to rant, I'm throwing around ideas to help as best I can! People often read some unintended tone into what I write, so just remember its supposed to be lighthearted and brainstormy!

PPS. And, sure, money could still work fine. :P It's just not ideal for the setting this time round.

Shadow
10-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Well I won't argue how realistic it is not.

One of the bigger problems is that without some kind of monetary system a lot of other systems break down. What prevents you from replicating any ship component known if you don't have the need to pay for it? What value does loot have? What do you gain from doing quests and killing enemies?

timeh
10-22-2011, 05:37 AM
Well I won't argue how realistic it is not.

One of the bigger problems is that without some kind of monetary system a lot of other systems break down. What prevents you from replicating any ship component known if you don't have the need to pay for it? What value does loot have? What do you gain from doing quests and killing enemies?

materials, materials, recipes/blueprints and materials

Shadow
10-22-2011, 10:16 AM
If the answer to everything is pretty much just materials you've either moved back to a bartering economy or simply substituted materials for money which doesn't really change much.

Bluddy
10-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Yep, there's no escaping a monetary system of some sort.