PDA

View Full Version : How to increase the difficulty

galneon
01-12-2008, 12:07 AM
I can't seem to figure out how to make this game harder... I've been playing for three days and find it nearly impossible to get as far as the 10th zone of monsters without winning the game. My last game, I began as a level 8 in a world of 6 covenants with 'very aggressive' selected. In my attempts to prolong the game, I bailed out whoever was in need whenever they were raided, but it got to be so high maintenance that then I couldn't go kill monsters. I was too busy going easy on the other covenants, tearing them down but not killing them in interest of keeping the game interesting. If I don't do this, they'll kill each other till it's only me and the one remaining covenant.

If I begin as a level 10 and set up the game with the previous options and a +10 level advantage for the other covenants, then again, they'll just kill off each other. Once I hit level 25, I can start a game at the second difficulty, but from what I understand, that only affects the monsters, or does it? Ideally I would like the enemy covenants to cheat or my covenant to suffer a handicap. I've really enjoyed the game so far, but without challenge I'm quickly losing interest... Any advice?

Kruztee
01-12-2008, 01:33 AM
I dunno, I just take the goodies from the end game chest and start a new game. That's the whole point of the game for me.

You do know that you can skip storyline quests that you have already completed, right? That way you can solve a few storyline quests in each game, win, collect the goodies and begin a new game without having to start all over on them.

Hmmm, I'm not sure since I have only ever played with the opposing covenants around 5 levels higher than me, but I assumed that they would (depending on traits) always look to raid a covenant many levels lower than them. It's easy to get dogpiled if you let your relationship slip with too many covenants at once. I'm suprised that you can manage to avoid that happening with covenants 10+ levels higher than yours. Maybe give them an even higher level advantage if you really want a challenge?

Yes, my understanding of the game difficulty is that it only affects the monsters and items spawned and not the rival covenants aggression towards the player.

StealthBunny
01-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Try setting the covenants as being more aggressive.

StealthBunny
01-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Oh, wait... sorry, I see that you've tried that already.

Shadow
01-12-2008, 11:28 AM
It's counter intuitive a bit, but if your problem is that the other covenants are killing each other too much, you might want to use a lower aggression level so that they will stop killing each other so quick.

Then if you want the covenants to be tougher, just increase their level even higher.

galneon
01-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I think I'll probably lower aggression one level and try from there... Could cheating AI possibly be a part of future versions? Such as a tax boost, XP bonus, and gold bonus for enemy covenants.

Delve
01-12-2008, 12:43 PM
I've never modded the game before, so read with salt handy.

In the zip file assets001.zip there's a file Database\Covenants.gdb that contains a whole lot of values you can set to (apparently) change the behavior of covenants. Looks like you can probably change the base covenant parameters some to tweak the way all covenants behave in your game. Review the mod stuff at the homepage first though, there's probably something important there.

It might also interest you to look in Database\Monsters\BaseMonsters.gdb

Shadow
01-12-2008, 01:48 PM
That's true also if you are a mod type person. There are tons of variables that you can change in the covenants.gdb to tweak the covenants.

I could tweak the highest covenant difficulty to be harder if that is something that most people want.

StealthBunny
01-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Which brings one of my other questions up... what's the mod on the home page and what does it do? I'm a bit (ok a lot) vague on the mod concept, and when I saw that it was an .exe file, I panicked...

Shadow
01-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I answered this in the other thread also. Are you referring to the SDK on the mod page? If so it just has some tools and instructions on how to make a mod. In this case, the exe is just an installer that installs the tools and documention.

galneon
01-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Ahh, I didn't realize deep configuration was that accessible. I'll have to mess with that next game. Right now I'm using one degree less covenant aggression. One thing I think would especially help high difficulty games last longer would be to separate aggression into diplomatic/raid aggression, and adventure aggression. As it is, the difficulty of "very high" aggression sort of neutralizes itself. While they may raid more, they'll also hunt less as a result of it and be of lesser level. I would love to have other covenants focus on monster-hunting and leveling most of the time (while competing with me) while occasionally raiding.

I know it's possible to separate the two aggressions as the Monster Slayers covenant, for example, has the "adventurous" trait, and as a result, they're usually near the top as far as power rating.

intenex
01-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Personally, I edited the base hps of each class to solve this problem (multiplied each by 10). This in turn leads to a massive increase in lifestone health (100000-150000 on level 20), which consequently makes one handed raids impossible. I just started a game at level 5 with level 20 covenants and quickly leveled to 10 (as this method takes the dullness out of monster hack and slash in favor of the more novel covenant power struggle), with each covenant unable to destroy the others. I eventually had to form alliances with three of the six covenants to the destroy the other three (and that was with me constantly stopping the raid when my character hps dropped). I would imagine a raid to be quite challenging if you attempted it without stopping, if that's what you're looking for. Unfortunately, the chances of you getting the spoils are quite low, but you can always bribe your allies to make peace moments before the demise of the target covenant...

Delve
01-14-2008, 04:07 AM
You'd have to wait for the other covenants' damage credit to degrade first. And with lifestones with HP that high I bet that will take too long to be feasible. Lifestones regen a % of health each tick (for lack of a better term to use). Damage credit degrades at a set rate for everyone. You'll have to legitimately do more damage to the enemy than anyone else, because the lifestone most likely will regen much faster than they'll lose credit.

On another though, keep up a low grade war with them, doing multiple raids of a short span for a little bit of damage prior to bringing in the cavalry. That'll give you a buffer of credit that might let you get the rewards if you allies end up doing somewhat more damage than you. You'll probably get raided as well, but hey. War ain't fair.

galneon
01-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Does anyone think separate aggression settings for diplomacy/war/raiding and for monster hunting is a good idea? This can be achieved through covenant traits already to a degree.