PDA

View Full Version : Dodge, Deflection, Parry.. the difference?

FloodSpectre
01-12-2008, 12:20 PM
A quick question. I've been playing a new Rogue and there are a number of defensive skills improving the Defense stat and giving a bonus to Parry, Deflection, Dodge and so forth. Is there any real difference between them ? Some of them cost a skill point more than the others as well, leading me to believe there are multiple defense types for more than just stacking bonuses.

Also somewhat on the same topic, could the (currently blank) skill descriptions for these also note the difference for us in game ?

Shadow
01-12-2008, 01:45 PM
For the most part they act the same way (a type of defense). There are some skills that only work after a specific type of defense though. So if you are using one of these skills which one is very important, if not it's not.

The other thing to note is that even though they might work the same way since the rogue has a bunch of them she can get defense types skills cheaper than the other classes can.

Delve
01-12-2008, 03:36 PM
How do they stack together? Does each type get a chance roll in order, or do they combine to a single roll and, if successful, a random skill from your set is chosen based on skill level? Or what?

FloodSpectre
01-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Right, I was aware of the special skills which are reliant on certain defense types activating, I just wasn't sure if there was any other real difference.

Like Delve, I too would like to know if they all roll together, if one type is chosen each time you have a chance to defend, or if each gets a chance of activating when it's time to defend.

Also, if it isn't too much trouble, could we possibly get the formulas relating to these skills at some point ? I see you gave us the Attack/Defense formula already, but these ones would be nice too :D

Shadow
01-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Basically it calculates to see if an attack misses you using your generic defense value. If the attack does miss, then it figures out what kind of miss it is. When it does this, it just uses the relative values of the different kinds of defense types to see which one it is. So if you managed to have 100 total defense and 50 of that was dodge, 1/2 of the misses would be from dodging.

FloodSpectre
01-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Ah, that makes sense, and also explains why each Defense skill gives 25 defense in addition to 25 Parry/Deflect/etc. Thanks for clearing that up for me.