PDA

View Full Version : Dark Souls

ebarstad
10-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Not sure how many of you play games on consoles, but I thought I'd see if anyone here is playing Dark Souls. I don't know much about the game, but it looks like a punishing (possibly frustrating) action RPG with a lot of different classes and loot and all sorts of different mobs and bosses.

I'd love to hear the impressions of anyone playing it as I'm thinking of trading in a bunch of old games and picking it up.

Kruztee
10-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Hmm, not to hijack the thread, but the last game I played on console was "Red Dead Redemption". Pretty much re-inforced nearly everything I don't like about console gaming, including that game being ridiculously over-hyped.:(

caldazar
10-31-2011, 01:20 PM
Initially I was intrigued by the game, until I learned that if you are connected to either xbl or psn, at any point in time, another player can join your game and try to kill you. I don't particularly care for that feature :)

ebarstad
10-31-2011, 02:56 PM
Yeah, that would be pretty annoying. I wonder if you can set the game to offline mode or if you'd have to physically disconnect the console from the internet? I'll have to look into that.

Jorlen
11-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Initially I was intrigued by the game, until I learned that if you are connected to either xbl or psn, at any point in time, another player can join your game and try to kill you. I don't particularly care for that feature :)

Not quite. If you're in hallowed form, you can't get invaded. If you reverse hallow (become human basically) you can then get invaded, but it doesn't happen as often as it did in Demon's Souls (Dark Souls's predecessor).

I've played both these games to death, and personally they rank amongst my top favorite games of all time. Then again, I am biased as I've loved From Software (the dev) since the PS1 days.

Highly recommend ONLY if you have the patience to deal with death, because that's how the game teaches you you're doing things wrong. You die, and replay it till you get it right. Very rewarding for those who can tolerate the try & die style of gameplay :)

udhaya_ko
11-23-2011, 02:42 PM
ebarstad,
Your idea will work. Have you find any possibilities to play in offline mode?