PDA

View Full Version : Modding random names for boss monsters

Havikstrike
11-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Yo! I wanted to try to mod the names for boss monsters, I know where they are but I'm not sure how to mess with it. I mean I know that they get drawn from certain names since I've seen multiple monsters with the same name on the same kind of monster (I saw the name Jolt on a lizardman like 3-4 times). Again I know where the names are pulled from but now I need to know how they are pulled. Appreciate the help : D

Shadow
11-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Boss monsters have specific names not random. You can see which one they use in Database/MonsterTypes.gdb with the Name fields. These are then defined in Loc/English/global.trn. You could change their names, add more unique monsters with new names, or try to set them up more like the NPCs that do have random names.

Havikstrike
11-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Oh so they were individual? Sorry I need to look it up closer next time : P Then why under name files there's monster, monsterprefix, and monstersuffix? What are they used for? Also how do I make it so it puts up random names like with npcs? Thanks for the info so far by the way : D

Shadow
11-02-2011, 06:21 PM
I think the monster prefix and suffix stuff is just some left over files when I was naming some of the monsters.

In Database/Monsters/NpcArchetypes.gdb the different archetypes have a line that looks like
RandomNameFile npcsFemale
This specifies which file to use for building the random names.

You would need to do something similar in Database/Monsters/MonsterArchetypes.gdb

Havikstrike
11-03-2011, 12:10 AM
So if I rewrite the monster bosses names similar to the randomnamefile it could work? it seems like npc and monsters are different in how they name stuff

Shadow
11-07-2011, 04:43 PM
In theory it will work fine. I'm not sure if the random names will be interesting though.

Bluddy
11-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Also you won't get boss names that make sense. I assume this is why Shadow didn't make them random. If you have a boss Death Knight, you want him to be called Ghostly Revenge or some such thing. That will make no sense when applied to a boss Leprechaun, for example. You'd have to make all your boss names generic, like 'Bob the Chaos Lord'.

NPCs and towns are interchangeable, so it's more practical to make their names random.