PDA

View Full Version : Morale

Bluddy
11-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Shadow, I noticed that morale is a new system implemented only in DC.

1. How is it supposed to affect most creatures? Are creatures supposed to lose morale when they're hit and gain it when they hit others?
2. If so, why is there no MoraleChangeOnHit/Hurt command in the base archetype?
3. Does moraleChangeOnHurt/Hit refer to when a monster hits an enemy, or when an enemy hits it, or neither?
4. What does moraleChangeWhenHurtNoEnemy mean?
5. MoraleSourceType Hazard only reacts to hazards e.g. stepping on a magma pool, right? It doesn't apply to being hit by fire..?
6. Will MoraleSourceType Hazard react to hazards even if they can't be touched? e.g. lightning elementals can fly.
7. Does MoraleSourceType Faction/Hazard apply per second?
8. Do all creatures retreat when their morale is low? What morale level causes retreat?

Shadow
12-01-2011, 09:53 AM
1) Most monsters aren't effected by ever day morale stuff
2) Being hit doesn't effect most monsters morale
3) OnHit is when the monster hits something else and OnHurt is when the monster is hurt
4) moraleChangeWhenHurtNoEnemy means that they have been hurt by something yet they have no enemy. This is for cases like standing in an acid pool.
5) Correct. It won't count getting hit by a fireball.
6) Probably :)
7) Yes, once a second.
8) I believe so. They have low morale when it drops to 0.

Bluddy
12-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the answers.

1. How does fear fit into the picture? Is that a result of morale hitting 0? EDIT: OK I now know it's just the default morale reaction.
2. If so, it seems like it's happening too much. I thought it had to do with monsters getting hit, but if most monsters don't really lose morale so easily, then that theory doesn't make sense.
EDIT: My theory is that people notice this happening when monsters get hit by non-enemy sources for a lot of damage. For example, I once brought my skeletons back from the brink of death in town. They were fearful for a long time. I'm guessing they gained non-enemy damage which drove their morale way down, and then took time recovering from that. In the meantime, they wouldn't move -- perhaps they don't know what to retreat from?
3. If there's a base morale level and a bonus morale level, and morale is gained every second, won't the morale bonus always be reached just by the passage of time? So elementals would always have their bonus if left alone...?
4. Is there a way to make things other than hazards ie. some monsters count for moraleChangeWhenHurtNoEnemy? For example, if I make volcanoes cause damage directly and I want monsters to run from it if they step on it.

Bluddy
12-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Shadow, how do monsters know what to retreat from when they lose morale to non-enemy sources? I think they shift into the retreat behavior, but which way do they go? Is it possible that all they know to do is freeze in place? That may be what people are observing.

Shadow
12-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Morale isn't necessarily gained each second. Each second a monster's morale slowly moves back towards its base value.

I think a volcano would count as no enemy.

I think you might be right about the fear with no enemy thing.

Bluddy
01-01-2012, 08:43 AM
I did a small test and both magma and acid pools don't seem to do anything morale-wise. They should be causing fear after 3 hits, but that doesn't seem to happen. I *think* fear does occur as a result of DOTs ie. every hit of the DOT might cause a morale hit, which isn't supposed to happen.

Shadow
01-03-2012, 11:03 AM
I did a small test and both magma and acid pools don't seem to do anything morale-wise. They should be causing fear after 3 hits, but that doesn't seem to happen. I *think* fear does occur as a result of DOTs ie. every hit of the DOT might cause a morale hit, which isn't supposed to happen.

I'll look at it.