PDA

View Full Version : Driftmoon-To be Released in New Year

DeathKnight1728
12-02-2011, 03:01 PM
I happened across a new freeware/indie rpg company. I found out about this game which amazingly is in development/yet partially released for 2 years. It will be fully released in 2012 supposedly.

Being a freeware company, all their previous games are completely free to play till the end, which is awesome as they have some other great rpg and survival games.

Just a small indie group studio like this one-Instant Kingdom (http://www.instantkingdom.com/)

caldazar
12-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Yep, I pre-ordered several months ago myself. Looking forward to the completed product!

DeathKnight1728
01-10-2012, 12:02 AM
This game is really coming around and the new things you can do in here are a lot of fun. The finished product will be alot of fun when its done.

Roswitha
01-10-2012, 12:12 PM
I was looking over the website and they mentioned that the game had a Feedback button. Apparently if you see a problem, you click the feedback button and it saves a screenshot of where you are, then pulls up a text box for your input, then emails it to the developer. Interesting notion.

http://www.instantkingdom.com/2012/01/feedback/

Amberjoy
01-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Now thats an interesting button to have while testing. Would make things so much easier! Thanks for pointing that out and to whomever thought it up first.

I'm going to pass this on to the companies I play test for!

Shadow
01-10-2012, 06:36 PM
That is pretty cool. I'll have to figure out how to do something like that some day.

Roswitha
01-11-2012, 02:45 AM
Now thats an interesting button to have while testing. Would make things so much easier! Thanks for pointing that out and to whomever thought it up first.

I'm going to pass this on to the companies I play test for!

So how did you sign up to do play testing? It sounds like fun. :)

Amberjoy
01-11-2012, 03:58 PM

I haven't play tested for that company, but I have for Eschalon (Book I & II), Azalta, Dinky Dungeon to name a few. I looked for upcoming games I thought were interesting and I'd like to play, watched announcements and when designer announced beta testing would be coming soon and listed requirements, I'd offer. Some I got in, some I didn't. Most liked having an older (age), female view point using a Mac old time machine also with laptop newer version Mac. :) Just like Drox is coming up. Make suggestions, when Beta testing announced, offer to help.

It does take some of your time at home, so family and house keeping suffer..but, heck, its good for them! :D

DeathKnight1728
01-12-2012, 09:46 PM

It depends on the company, eschalon and soldak are pretty fair on letting people in. Jeff from spiderweb is extremely picky however. Good luck getting in as he only usually selects 15 people, 8 of which are usually global moderators. I wouldnt want to test his games as they would spoil the experience. Besides that, the testers for spiderweb are INSANE powergamers that can push through difficulties that normal cant fathom.

When the beta testing for soldak's Drox Operative is out, you can play the game and at the same time, help make it better. Dins was a lot of fun :D

Amberjoy
01-12-2012, 11:31 PM
It depends on the company, eschalon and soldak are pretty fair on letting people in. Jeff from spiderweb is extremely picky however. Good luck getting in as he only usually selects 15 people, 8 of which are usually global moderators. I wouldnt want to test his games as they would spoil the experience. Besides that, the testers for spiderweb are INSANE powergamers that can push through difficulties that normal cant fathom.

When the beta testing for soldak's Drox Operative is out, you can play the game and at the same time, help make it better. Dins was a lot of fun :D

:D Not all the testers for Spiderweb are insane powergamers...one of them is my son! But, having to listen to him cuss and swear and the battles going on in the background, ie. his bedroom or the living room if he's in there so he can help me in and out of my wheelchair, is frustrating to listen to because he refuses to talk to me about it..as he should according to the no disclosure rules. :D And it is hard to get to be a tester. You have to really know what your doing and explain what you did when you get an unexpected result. I wouldn't try for Spiderweb games after listening to my son do play testing. I like Shadows and BW's way.

Roswitha
01-13-2012, 03:22 AM

Yes, it was. :) I discovered Din's just as it hit beta. Waiting impatiently for Drox. (Is it much farther, Papa Smurf?) :D

Apologies for derailing the thread.

Shadow
01-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Yes, it was. :) I discovered Din's just as it hit beta. Waiting impatiently for Drox. (Is it much farther, Papa Smurf?) :D

It's still going to be a little while, still not quite to alpha yet.

Castruccio
01-13-2012, 01:25 PM
It's still going to be a little while, still not quite to alpha yet.

Take your time if you can afford it. I think we all have high hopes for Drox, and the more time it spends in the oven the better!

DeathKnight1728
01-13-2012, 01:41 PM
:D Not all the testers for Spiderweb are insane powergamers...one of them is my son! But, having to listen to him cuss and swear and the battles going on in the background, ie. his bedroom or the living room if he's in there so he can help me in and out of my wheelchair, is frustrating to listen to because he refuses to talk to me about it..as he should according to the no disclosure rules. :D And it is hard to get to be a tester. You have to really know what your doing and explain what you did when you get an unexpected result. I wouldn't try for Spiderweb games after listening to my son do play testing. I like Shadows and BW's way.

Thats the thing though. Im better at fastpaced action rpgs. Turnbased rpgs are fun for me, but still extremely challenging, especially spiderwebs. Im not as good at thinking in that way. Its not a bad thing, in reality its kind of a skill. A powergamer like your son can adapt and do things that normal gamers cant. I played geneforge 1 and beat it ON EASY, i dont know how i managed to survive the frustration. When i thought about it, it was the most difficult game that i played and managed to beat. After going through a 3-4 page thread on getting through it, I remember the moderator told me when i asked him how anyone can do this game on torment-"Jeff's gametesters are powergamers of immense ability that can push through areas others would find absurb."

And that is why your son is almost guaranteed to succeed in the video game business :)

Amberjoy
01-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Thats the thing though. Im better at fastpaced action rpgs. Turnbased rpgs are fun for me, but still extremely challenging, especially spiderwebs. Im not as good at thinking in that way. Its not a bad thing, in reality its kind of a skill. A powergamer like your son can adapt and do things that normal gamers cant. I played geneforge 1 and beat it ON EASY, i dont know how i managed to survive the frustration. When i thought about it, it was the most difficult game that i played and managed to beat. After going through a 3-4 page thread on getting through it, I remember the moderator told me when i asked him how anyone can do this game on torment-"Jeff's gametesters are powergamers of immense ability that can push through areas others would find absurb."

And that is why your son is almost guaranteed to succeed in the video game business :)

Ugh, don't remind me of the Geneforge series. I hated that one! I liked the Avernum ones, started out playing Avadon but haven't finished it. Don't like the single mindedness of it. For some reason I like Din's Curse and can play it without too much difficulty (heavy use of mods though). And of course I like the Eschalon series. I liked the Ultima series too but haven't been able to play them all when they first came out since I was using an Amiga at the time. I'm a GM for a varient 2nd ed. AD&D game over on Rpol dot com so you can see I like 'turn-based' things. :)

And, please, my son is not a power gamer. He likes to find things that go wrong or need tightening up a bit but no way is he complusive about stuff in games like 'Randomizer' is for example and the other testers. And I'm not just saying this cause he's my son either. :D

DeathKnight1728
01-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Well, either way the geneforge series was very tough. I spoke with jeff a few weeks ago and asked him what he thought of the series. He said that he is definitely going to remake the series 1-5, but that the games while still being their old self, will be much simpler for new audiences, so i guess thats a good thing.

He said that while the games were all good, the 5th had the most polish and was the easiest one to get started with, and to solo for that matter. I played the 5th gene forge quite a bit amber and you might like that one because they actually remedied a lot of the things that annoyed people (Low health per endurance and low survival rate for solo chars). Just a thought.

Oh and randomizer, slarty and alorael are incredible at those games.

But anyway, back on track. Driftmoon is so far pretty straightforward. But really, I'm just hoping it gets further to where the last or almost last patch is, that way people can submit more modules for me to play :)