PDA

View Full Version : Visiting vendors

desophos
02-12-2012, 03:22 AM
Where is the information located that has to do with vendors who visit the town? I can't seem to find it.

Bluddy
02-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Where is the information located that has to do with vendors who visit the town? I can't seem to find it.

It's in Monsters/NpcTypes.gdb.

desophos
02-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Are the "wandering vendors" both the ones in the dungeons and the ones who visit the town? Regardless, I'm actually looking for the information that has to do with the rate of spawning. I'd like to get rid of the normal vendors and have only wandering vendors. I think this would fix your problem with repairing items as well.

Castruccio
02-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Are the "wandering vendors" both the ones in the dungeons and the ones who visit the town? Regardless, I'm actually looking for the information that has to do with the rate of spawning. I'd like to get rid of the normal vendors and have only wandering vendors. I think this would fix your problem with repairing items as well.

If you get rid of static vendors, how will players buy food and drink with any regularity? It will be extraordinarily hard for mages to survive if they don't have a reliable source of mana.

desophos
02-12-2012, 03:33 PM
If you get rid of static vendors, how will players buy food and drink with any regularity? It will be extraordinarily hard for mages to survive if they don't have a reliable source of mana.
Good point. I'll leave one regular vendor in town.

I've found the spawn values for the static vendors, but I can't find the visiting rate of wandering vendors.

Shadow
02-13-2012, 09:42 AM
I've found the spawn values for the static vendors, but I can't find the visiting rate of wandering vendors.

For the wandering vendors it's quest related so you want to go into quests.gdb and change RandomEventChance in the QuestWanderingVendor and QuestWanderingVendorTown entries.

desophos
02-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Thank you!! How often does the game look at RandomEventChance, i.e. what is the tick time for quests? I'd like to calculate probability per minute.

Bluddy
02-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Thank you!! How often does the game look at RandomEventChance, i.e. what is the tick time for quests? I'd like to calculate probability per minute.

I believe the generic event time is in systems.gdb in the form of NewEventMinTime and NewEventMaxTime. It's set to between 40 and 80 seconds. There's also a NewQuestMin and MaxTime set to between 90 and 150 seconds. You have to add the total chances for all events and quests separately to get the chance of wandering vendors occurring, which can occur both as events and as quests. It looks like there are also 2 types of wandering vendor quests -- one can occur anywhere and one can only occur in town, so you have to add up the chances there, though I think you only care about the ones in town so that complicates things.

Shadow
02-13-2012, 05:04 PM

The event timing is controlled by NewEventMinTime and NewEventMaxTime over in systems.gdb

If you are referring to how often an individual quest will do something you want to look at MinEventTime and MaxEventTime in the entries in quests.gdb

Shadow
02-13-2012, 05:36 PM
What does RandomEventChance do, then?

It's the relative chance of that event happening when the NewEventMinTime/NewEventMaxTime timer goes off.

By relative I mean if you only have 2 events, event 1 has an RandomEventChance of 4.0, event 2 has an RandomEventChance of 1.0, then 80% of the time it will choose event 1.

desophos
02-13-2012, 05:41 PM
Do you have the total event chances and quest chances on hand, so that I don't have to find them all? I'd like to be able to calculate (relative) probabilities of individual events without going through and finding every single other event.

Shadow
02-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Do you have the total event chances and quest chances on hand, so that I don't have to find them all? I'd like to be able to calculate (relative) probabilities of individual events without going through and finding every single other event.

I don't. Usually when I change them it's just a little up or down based on how often I want them to appear compared to how it used to be so the final real chance doesn't matter all that much.

desophos
02-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Alright, thanks. Since RandomEventChance was below 1.0 I originally assumed it was a probability value. I'll just mess with it to get the right probability. Thanks for all your help, and the mod will probably be out soon!

Bluddy, this mod should help your issue with repairing items, since there will very rarely be a smith always available in town.

Bluddy
02-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Bluddy, this mod should help your issue with repairing items, since there will very rarely be a smith always available in town.

Your idea is really good and your solution pinpoints a big part of the problem -- there are too many avenues to repair your stuff on average. All it takes is one smith in town. I've been thinking about it, and I think that rather than taking away smiths, I'm going to make random smiths who can and cannot repair stuff. So having a weaponsmith won't automatically mean that you can repair items. Wandering weaponsmiths, however, will always be able to repair items. This should really exploit the strength of the game, which is randomness: in some games, repair will be trivial, but in many, you'll have to worry about finding a new smith or cherish the wandering smith when he/she arrives. Thanks for pointing me in this direction.