PDA

View Full Version : Caltrops

Castruccio
02-18-2012, 07:34 PM
I just had a boss cast caltrops on me which resulted in -89% movement for 2.2 minutes. This is horrible, and it slows the game down in a way that makes it genuinely not fun (and I'm one of the biggest Soldak fanboys around, so coming from me that means a lot).

Is there a cure for caltrops or do I just have to wait it out? If I have to wait it out, I am just going to leave the game on for 2 minutes while I do something else.

As I recall, caltrops has a much lighter slow effect in Din's Curse. If DoP ever gets another patch, perhaps it would be possible to make it such that contracting caltrops does't stop the game entirely for 2 minutes.

Bluddy
02-18-2012, 08:34 PM
This is a good suggestion to include in the DoP Balance Mod thread. (Just in case there's no patch -- right now I don't think there's enough broken stuff to justify one.)

Castruccio
02-20-2012, 04:59 PM
The slowdown effect in DC is 33%, just to compare.

Bluddy
02-20-2012, 05:17 PM
I just realized that getting -89% in DC/DoP is ridiculously hard because of the non-linear formula -- you have to get -810% to get to -89%. This made me look it up in the assets, and it turns out (unsurprisingly) that it's a bug.

The problem is that the boss casually refers to the same skill name that's available for the Thief class. This wouldn't be so bad, except that the regular skill scales per level. The boss's levels are then applied to the skill to get the amount of slowdown and time, so it's as if he's using a level 23 caltrops skill against you, which surely wasn't the intent. A level 50 boss will therefore slow you down for 4 minutes, and a level 100 boss will use his caltrops skill at level 100 and slow you down for 8 minutes, for a whopping -96% speed.

So yes, it's a bug :)

UPDATE: actually it's a little more nuanced than that. The boss refers to a special SkillMonsterCaltrops that has no levels, but that skill refers to the thief class's status effect that HAS levels. I'm not sure what's supposed to happen in this case -- is the status effect supposed to be read at level 1 just because the skill has no levels? Not sure, but either way it's a bug.

Bluddy
02-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Here's a quick fix (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22120175/Depths%20of%20Peril/bugfix.zip). Let me know if it works. Just drop this in the Assets directory.

Castruccio
02-20-2012, 05:36 PM
UPDATE: actually it's a little more nuanced than that. The boss refers to a special SkillMonsterCaltrops that has no levels, but that skill refers to the thief class's status effect that HAS levels. I'm not sure what's supposed to happen in this case -- is the status effect supposed to be read at level 1 just because the skill has no levels? Not sure, but either way it's a bug.

Well, this is bad news insofar as I have to deal with it, but good news insofar as I know that it's not a result of some premeditated design decision. I knew Shadow wasn't a malicious game designer!

Castruccio
02-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Here's a quick fix (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22120175/Depths%20of%20Peril/bugfix.zip). Let me know if it works. Just drop this in the Assets directory.

Ah awesome, thanks. You got the fix posted before I made my previous post.