PDA

View Full Version : Travel between star systems

Valgor
02-20-2012, 07:45 AM
How will interstellar travel work?
Will the player need to install a 'hyperdrive' component on their ship to be able to jump to another system, or will the whole galaxy be one large 'world map' like in DoP?
If it's the former, what will happen if the hyperdrive is damaged or destroyed during an engagement? Will the player need to call the intergalactic towing service or can they order their engineers
to jury-rig the thing until a replacement is bought/found or proper repairs can be made?

Shadow
02-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Right now how you get from system to system is an ancient starlane system (not sure we will stay with the name though) so you ships doesn't need anything special.

Valgor
02-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Does the player have to move their ship to the edge of a system to travel to the next or can they ride the lane from anywhere?

Shadow
02-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Does the player have to move their ship to the edge of a system to travel to the next or can they ride the lane from anywhere?

You have to be right next to the starlane entrance to use them. They are always on the edge of the system somewhere though so they aren't terribly hard to find.

Valgor
02-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Are there any alternative ways to move from system to system, wormhole anomalies for example?

Roswitha
02-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Looks like there are wormholes. But I'm not sure how big a sector is.

testing Drox Operative - accidentally got sucked into a wormhole and sent to the other side of the sector while showing my wife something.

Shadow
02-21-2012, 10:10 AM
There are at least accidental other ways to move around like unstable wormholes. There will probably be a couple other things also but they haven't been finalized yet.

Valgor
02-21-2012, 10:21 AM
There will probably be a couple other things also but they haven't been finalized yet.

I'll be patient and wait for you to announce those, then.

gornova
02-22-2012, 05:00 PM
starlanes access could be sorrounded by races ships or just teleport from a system to another?

Shadow
02-24-2012, 08:03 PM
starlanes access could be sorrounded by races ships or just teleport from a system to another?

Do you mean are they guarded? Not on purpose.

gornova
03-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Yes, thanks :D

Yeah, I mean, guarding starlanes access could be a key point for any race, to destroy incoming enemies before they attack key planets