PDA

View Full Version : error: Access Violation

Areli
01-15-2008, 04:55 AM
On two occasions yesterday I had the game freeze up when casting my town portal stone. I would begin the casting, and then just as it finished, instead of seeing the casting bar disappear and the portal light appear, the casting bar froze full and an error message popped up. The second time I copied it down:

Access Violation at 0x0042569A (Tried to read from 0x00000004), program terminated.

I don't remember many details about the first time it happened except that the screen was very "busy." There were quite a few monsters around and some spell effects; I may have been poisoned as well. The second time was similar in that there was a lot of action going on and I was poisoned (if that has anything to do with it).

I'll add to this post if it happens again.

Shadow
01-15-2008, 08:49 AM
I think this is related to gate problems others are seeing.

ShaggyMoose
01-15-2008, 09:03 AM
I have received about six access violation crashes and I can't see any pattern. Once I was just standing in my house!

Kruztee
01-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Best thing about Depths of Peril?
It's the best indie game I've played in a long, long time.

Worst thing about Depths of Peril?
It generates an annoying amount of seemingly random Access Violation errors.

I mean, I get these a LOT. On both my notebook running Vista and also on my desktop PC under XP pro with SP2. Not only that, but I have been playing avidly since (pretty much) the retail release and they have not decreased in frequency as of v1.006. At least the game autosaves fairly frequently so that you don't tend to lose a lot of gained exp points. It can be frustrating if it crashes just after a big haul of loot though...:(

Hopefully Shadow can track down where all or at least some of these are coming from, and since I couldn't code my way out of a wet paper bag, I'll leave my commentary on the matter at that.

(name here)
01-15-2008, 10:03 PM
At least the access violations all seem to be at the same place, which means that it's probably isolated in one part of the code.

Shadow
01-15-2008, 10:28 PM
The 0x0042569A and the portal related bugs/crashes should be fixed in version 1.007.

Areli
01-15-2008, 10:42 PM
had a flurry of access violations today, they all occurred in a fairly close timeframe, then no other problems for the duration.

Twice while I was identifying an item in my covenant I had an Error: 0x44070000. I also had this error once when I was opening a treasure chest and instead of items popping out and access violation popped up.

In addition to these three times, I had a different access violation: 0x73736150 happen immediately after entering my covenant via the portal stone.

(name here)
01-19-2008, 09:19 AM
i've gotten some access violations when i click on last game in 1.007

FloodSpectre
01-19-2008, 11:38 AM
I haven't experienced the crash since 1.007 myself. Thanks Shadow!

stumbler
01-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Under the latest 7.0 patch, with textures compressed, the "bars" are still appearing. They do not exist when the texture is uncompressed.