PDA

View Full Version : Drox and Steam

gornova
02-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Question is simple, Drox will be on Steam or not ?
At launch, some point on the future ?

Can you give us some info ?

Shadow
02-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Well I would like to get Drox on Steam, but I have no idea if that will happen or not though.

Valgor
02-22-2012, 12:08 PM
gornova, I wouldn't hold my breath...
Steam has rejected Din's Curse in the past, and seeing that Drox Operative is pretty much (Din's Curse) in SPACE, chances are they're going to reject it for the same reasons, whatever those were.

Buy directly from Soldak; that way Shadow will benefit the most from your money.

Castruccio
02-22-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm feeling lucky with Drox for some reason. I think it has a good shot of making it on Steam. There's nothing like it on the service right now, and it's different enough from SPAZ that people will be interested in it. Also, the presentation of the game as a whole (from what we've seen) seems more polished than the presentation of DC.

Bluddy
02-22-2012, 01:40 PM
As the biggest player in the business, Steam is a very big deal. I'd say DC lost 60% of its potential revenue by not being on Steam. Of course it's just a made up figure :) The point is, without being on Steam, a game can only get enough exposure to make a fraction of what it could with Steam.

If I were an Indie game dev and Steam rejected my game, I'd drive down to Valve's offices and wait there until somebody at least explained to me why the game was rejected. It's that important IMO.

gornova
02-22-2012, 04:56 PM
I mean, maybe in fhe future, why not? Drox seems to be more focused and more nejoyable for much people around.
IMHO, I'll try demo shadow will release and if will not be disappointing my buy is for sure :D

ShaggyMoose
02-23-2012, 04:58 AM
gornova, I wouldn't hold my breath...
Steam has rejected Din's Curse in the past, and seeing that Drox Operative is pretty much (Din's Curse) in SPACE, chances are they're going to reject it for the same reasons, whatever those were.
You can get DoP on Steam, so its not exactly a lost cause. It would be good to see a future Soldak game integrated with Steamworks, but not sure if its worth the trouble for them.

Valgor
02-23-2012, 07:04 AM
I wonder just how much DoP's sales were affected by the game's release on Steam.

Castruccio
02-23-2012, 02:20 PM
I discovered Soldak on Steam in October 2010 and have bought all of their games since.

Shadow
02-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Steam was pretty significant for DoP, but not as high as 60%. I do have high hopes for Drox on Steam, but as usual we will see.

DeathKnight1728
02-28-2012, 04:15 PM
I dont have high expectations with steam and a major reason why. Steam forces you to be on the internet to play the games you buy and that is a major weakness. Most of the time i used my laptop was when the power is out and or i cant use my internet on it. Ive been trying to get spiderweb software's games on good old games and its moving slowly. Jeff said it will take time. I hope to get things moving with soldak on there as soon as gog makes more newer games available (which they said they would). Good old games is a very good site, it has everything that steam has and is simpler to work.

Ive had problems in the past with steam not opening/working. I rarely use it and for it to cease to work is a big problem. I would recommend drox, dop, dins, and even kivis to get on gog and i will do my best to make it happen!

Bluddy
02-28-2012, 04:41 PM
I agree completely Deathknight. I don't like Steam. In addition to the downsides you mentioned, their Mac client sucks up 20% of one CPU CONSTANTLY and they haven't bothered to fix it. I therefore try to get every Steam game I have off of Steam as well, and I only play the non-Steam version.

At the same time, the exposure via Steam is incredible. Even if people don't buy the game through Steam, just having people able to find you there is a huge advantage.

Shadow
02-28-2012, 06:36 PM
I just hope GoG starts having more than 2 price points. I'm also not fond of their no-drm stand (just like Apple's) because it causes issues with multiplayer games like Din's Curse (I'm talking about keys not all of the other crap).

Valgor
02-28-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm also not fond of their no-drm stand (just like Apple's) because it causes issues with multiplayer games like Din's Curse (I'm talking about keys not all of the other crap).

Are you worried about people buying only one copy and then keep passing it around so their friends can partake in multiplayer?

DeathKnight1728
02-28-2012, 08:16 PM
I just hope GoG starts having more than 2 price points. I'm also not fond of their no-drm stand (just like Apple's) because it causes issues with multiplayer games like Din's Curse (I'm talking about keys not all of the other crap).

There are a few ways of looking at that. While games like dins and dop are excellent and standalone, kivi's can gain much more chance for profit as people will nevertheless try that game as well when they like dop and dins. Im not going to lie and say that as soon as i bought a game on good old games, if i liked it, i would look up the company under other games they made on there. A lot of people do that to the point where they have 25 games that they own while they still havent finished one!

aReclusiveMind
02-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Despite the Steam naysayers, the best way to get Drox exposed to the widest audience is going to involve having a presence on their service. GoG, GamersGate, Gamestop/Impulse, and Green Man Gaming are all viable alternatives, but in the end Steam is the dominant player. Any fan of the game is going to want you to achieve success and continue to develop additional content, so having it on Steam is a win-win situation.

If you don't plan on using Steamworks, then it should be viable to have the game on Steam as well as other services such as those listed above. This way you can still have a broad reach (Steam), but you won't be alienating those who despise it or choose to only use alternatives. I'm sure I'm not stating anything new here though, you've been doing this for a long time now and understand the business side of things. I'm mainly stating this info for those who might be missing the larger picture.

I personally have most of my games with Steam (a service I personally value and enjoy), a few with the Humble Indie folks, a few from GoG, a few from GamersGate, etc. Any digital platform is fine for me. :)

Castruccio
02-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Regardless of your opinion of Steam (and mine is low as well) there are 5 million people playing games on there every single night and the exposure is huge. Imagine if just a fraction of those bought Drox! It would be incredible.

PixelLord
02-29-2012, 10:00 AM
I have high hopes for Drox Operative as well. We've all worked very hard on the project and early indications are that it should be tremendous fun. I can hardly wait for the game to reach beta so I can hear other opinions on this game not to mention polishing the game based on your feedback.

...And, who knows, even Din's Curse may someday yet make it on Steam. :)

Shadow
02-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Are you worried about people buying only one copy and then keep passing it around so their friends can partake in multiplayer?

I'm more worried about major piracy and having a ton of non-paying people clogging up the master server. Servers cost a lot of money and they only have so much capacity.

Valgor
02-29-2012, 10:50 AM
[...] and having a ton of non-paying people clogging up the master server.

Well, that is what I meant.

Castruccio
02-29-2012, 12:39 PM
I have high hopes for Drox Operative as well. We've all worked very hard on the project and early indications are that it should be tremendous fun. I can hardly wait for the game to reach beta so I can hear other opinions on this game not to mention polishing the game based on your feedback.

...And, who knows, even Din's Curse may someday yet make it on Steam. :)

If Drox does well on the service, I bet Din's won't be far behind. I've seen them release the back catalogs of several successful indie devs in the past.

udm
03-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Despite the Steam naysayers, the best way to get Drox exposed to the widest audience is going to involve having a presence on their service. GoG, GamersGate, Gamestop/Impulse, and Green Man Gaming are all viable alternatives, but in the end Steam is the dominant player. Any fan of the game is going to want you to achieve success and continue to develop additional content, so having it on Steam is a win-win situation.

If you don't plan on using Steamworks, then it should be viable to have the game on Steam as well as other services such as those listed above. This way you can still have a broad reach (Steam), but you won't be alienating those who despise it or choose to only use alternatives. I'm sure I'm not stating anything new here though, you've been doing this for a long time now and understand the business side of things. I'm mainly stating this info for those who might be missing the larger picture.

I personally have most of my games with Steam (a service I personally value and enjoy), a few with the Humble Indie folks, a few from GoG, a few from GamersGate, etc. Any digital platform is fine for me. :)

I don't like Steam, but this man speaks true.

Nevertheless, I don't see why other developers don't want to just release their games on multiple DD platforms. It's not like it's going to cost them anything other than a bit of time to correspond with the distributors. Why people want to close their doors on those who don't want to give their money to Steam puzzles me. Of course if I badly want to play a game, I'll just gnash my teeth and buy it on Steam, but there are games where I'm indifferent towards, and if it's only on Steam, np I can live without it.

Valgor
03-02-2012, 07:02 AM
Of course if I badly want to play a game, I'll just gnash my teeth and buy it on Steam, but there are games where I'm indifferent towards, and if it's only on Steam, np I can live without it.

This is sort of my stance on Steam, too. While I prefer to buy directly from the developers, like I've done with all Soldak games,
I've got no qualms about Steam and will buy from there if it's not available anywhere else.

Shadow
03-02-2012, 09:53 AM
BTW, I doubt there are many indie companies that are not trying to get their game on Steam. Most of the time if a game isn't on Steam, it's because Steam rejected it.

Bluddy
03-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Looking around the web, it seems that some devs got rejected the 1st time they tried to get on Steam, and did well the 2nd time they tried. Depending on what stage of DC you applied to Steam with, it might be worth a second shot. You could have just been unlucky. Also, the website was a lot more crude-looking back then, and that could have influenced their decision. You also have a lot more reviews now, plus the expansion, plus you can refer them to this (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1406445) Steam thread where users are asking for DC to be sold on Steam.

Shadow
03-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Don't worry we've learned the value of persistence over the years. :)

Valgor
03-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Also, the website was a lot more crude-looking back then, and that could have influenced their decision.

Why would they judge a game by the design of its developer's website? What if a developer doesn't even have a full-featured website for their game(s) ?

Bluddy
03-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Why would they judge a game by the design of its developer's website? What if a developer doesn't even have a full-featured website for their game(s) ?

It's on the submission form for Steam -- they request a demo build and the website address. And if they disqualify you they don't tell you why. It seems, however, that they tend to judge harshly those games that seem to have primitive graphics, especially if those games aren't well known. It makes some sense: I imagine virtually anyone building their 1st game tries to get them onto Steam, and they have to filter that out. It's possible that whoever reviewed DC first went to the site (which was not nearly as nice back then), was not impressed, then did a google search which may have not turned up much at the time, and with that perspective, judged the game mostly by its graphics, which certainly aren't very impressive.

What's curious is why they didn't see that DoP, which is also by Soldak, already passed the test. Perhaps the reviewer missed that detail.

Valgor
03-03-2012, 11:00 AM
What's curious is why they didn't see that DoP, which is also by Soldak, already passed the test. Perhaps the reviewer missed that detail.

Perhaps they were not allowed to take that into account.