PDA

View Full Version : Complexity of 4X mechanics

Valgor
02-24-2012, 06:21 AM
How in-depth are the underlying mechanics of the 4X "game" the AI is playing against itself?

For example, is there a tech tree that determines the progression of a given race's advancement during the course of a game,
or is it decided at random what they're able to research and when?

Do planets have "stats" (like max supported population or quantity of natural resources) that actually influence the development of the races that colonize them?

Shadow
02-24-2012, 10:26 AM
It's not as deep as a true 4X game, but most of the important parts are there.

There is a tech tree that they research using technology points generated from their planets and this lets them equip better components on their ships. Also each of the races focus on different parts of the tech tree.

There are different types and sizes of planets that effects things like max population and there are bonuses that can effect things like how much minerals and money the planet generates.

Valgor
02-24-2012, 12:22 PM
The reason I was asking about the planets is I've been thinking of a type of "side-quest" related to the properties of a planet...
Say, during their travels, the player comes across a perfect candidate for colonization by a friendly race.
They could now contact that race and trade the location of the planet for money, technology or other commodities.

Shadow
02-24-2012, 01:59 PM
The reason I was asking about the planets is I've been thinking of a type of "side-quest" related to the properties of a planet...
Say, during their travels, the player comes across a perfect candidate for colonization by a friendly race.
They could now contact that race and trade the location of the planet for money, technology or other commodities.

It's not in there yet, but I plan to do exactly that. You can find and sell them technology already though.

gornova
03-01-2012, 04:00 PM
race could ask a Drox Operative to defend a planet from other races colonizations too ?

Shadow
03-13-2012, 04:09 PM
race could ask a Drox Operative to defend a planet from other races colonizations too ?

That would be interesting also, but you don't have much of a means to actually do it short of declaring war on any other race that got close to the planet.

Bluddy
03-13-2012, 04:59 PM
This raises an interesting point. It would be really neat if you could destroy a couple of ships of a friendly race without having to declare war on them. It could impact your relations with them: the more people you killed, the bigger the ships etc, the bigger the chance that they'd declare war on you. That flexibility could perhaps be really useful sometimes.

Perhaps another range is in order here. Rather than just having a like/dislike scale, there could be a 'trust' or 'honesty' scale. The idea is that a like/dislike scale really just reflects the current state of affairs, and can be manipulated: I declare war on a race, then I do quests for them and 'butter them up'. This doesn't really happen in real life. In real life, opponents can remember that while you might be nice now, a little while ago you destroyed their mining operations. Thus, the 'trust' scale would represent the impact of longer range memories. If a race thinks you're trustworthy, then you have more power to change the reputation scale with them for the better by being nice to them. But as you manipulate that race, doing something bad to them after you did something good, your trust scale will decrease, and improving your reputation will get harder and harder.

Also, certain races could be more paranoid and therefore start you off with very high suspicion ie. low trust scale. Any act of betrayal will have a huge impact on your reputation, while gaining 'honesty' with them would involve behaving consistently towards them.

Valgor
03-13-2012, 05:50 PM
That would be interesting also, but you don't have much of a means to actually do it short of declaring war on any other race that got close to the planet.

What about intercepting their colony ships?

Bluddy
03-13-2012, 08:58 PM
D'oh! I forgot to explain the relevance of the 'trust' system to the situation. My idea is that attacking an ally's forces will only reduce your reputation with him by a little, because you have high trust with him at first. BUT it will also damage your trust with him a little, and trust is really hard to build up -- it requires periods of consistent help to the race. That little bit of damage to trust will not only be hard to repair, it'll also cause the next time you kill one of your ally's ships to cause more damage to relations, because your trust will be lower. So if you keep attacking your ally's ships, you can't easily repair the damage by sucking up to the ally, but if you need to do it momentarily, you can, even though your trust rating will take a small hit.

Of course, if you happen to be attacking colony ships (which I assume are mostly defenseless) or if you happen to be messing up one of the current main aims of your ally, there should be more of a hit to trust and reputation.