PDA

View Full Version : Max res?

Shadow
08-16-2007, 08:33 PM
For those that have downloaded the demo, are you having max resolution issues? I've heard a couple complaints that the game isn't letting people above 1280x960.

Vas
08-17-2007, 11:18 AM
well i do run a higher resolution than 1280x960 on both computers with the demo client .

leth
08-17-2007, 01:01 PM
I can confirm that in vista 32-bit the in-game option doesn't have any resolution choices higher then 1280x960.

However, I was able to get the 1920x1200 res by editing the user.cfg. Speaking of the user.cfg, could you please help us out and tell us what the parameters all mean? I can guess the gfx related ones, but there are some others that I am not sure about (like the bloom settings, what are the upper limits for them?)

Also, I noticed that in vista alt-tab will break the game, in that if you alt-tab back into the game you will now get a black screen, you hear the music of the game and you see your cursor, but that is about it.

I have another system with win xp + Nvidia 7800GTX that doesn't have the above issues with the resolution and alt-tabbing.

The vista system has a ATI Radeon 2900 with 1GB of GDDR4 ram on board. I have disabled the UAC of vista, so it is not a user privilege issue. I have not tried disable theme, or run the game in xp compatibility mode yet.

leth
08-17-2007, 01:28 PM
quick update, sorry for the double post, but I figure my previous post was long enough as it is ;)

Anyway, by running the game in WinXP SP2 compatibility mode, the alt-tab issue is gone. However, the in game resolution settings is still messed up.

To those that have the resolution issue, feel free to change the res in your user.cfg file. Once you do that you can start the game and still go into the option menu! (no the settings won't revert if you go in there) Now, you will see that under the resolution drop down you will have 2 new options for the resolution that you set in the user.cfg file. Yes, there are 2 new options, I don't know what the difference between the two are though :( (example: I set my res to 1920x1200 in the user.cfg, now go into the game under Graphic Options->screen size I now have 1920x1200 listed twice in the list)

Shadow
08-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks for all of the info leth!

Maybe the resolution problem is limited to Vista. Anyone having issues with the resolution that is not running Vista?

Like leth said the game should work in the higher resolutions it's just not showing the options for some reason. If you go to the User directory under the game directory and open up user.cfg you can change the resolution manually. Just change r_width to 1600 and r_height to 1200 (or whatever specific res you want to run in).

Shadow
08-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Speaking of the user.cfg, could you please help us out and tell us what the parameters all mean? I can guess the gfx related ones, but there are some others that I am not sure about (like the bloom settings, what are the upper limits for them?)

Well most of the things in user.cfg directly map to something in the options screens. Bloom is one of the few that doesn't (except on/off). Here's basically what the bloom options do:

r_bloom - 0 turns it off, 1 turns it on
r_bloomBlur - controls how many times to blur
r_bloomBlurDistance - controls how much space between each blurred image
r_bloomDarkenPasses - controls how many times to filter out the darker areas, the higher this number is the brighter something has to be to bloom and in general the slower the game will be
r_bloomIntensity - this controls how bright the added bloom effect will be
r_bloomTextureSize - texture resolution that the game uses during the bloom pass, higher should make it a little more crisp but will use more memory and might be slower

Most of these really don't have any limits exactly but the more you change them from the defaults the more likely it will look strange or make the game slower. I'm sure though that some people will like the bloom effect better if they tweak these numbers some since everyone seems to like different amounts of bloom.

Shadow
08-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Anyone want to be a guinea pig and help me test this resolution issue in Vista?

Leon121
08-18-2007, 05:35 PM
In the demo I have 1280x800 (not 960!) as max resolution. I have Windows XP. Changing the ini file helped though.

leth
08-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Anyone want to be a guinea pig and help me test this resolution issue in Vista?

I volunteer any testing! :)

Shadow
08-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Oops, I missed this. Leth send me an email at steven #at# soldak ^dot^ com so I can send you a new executable.

Shadow
08-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Ok, thanks to help from Leth this issue seems to be fixed. It wasn't Vista related. It wasn't even graphics related. It was a UI bug :(

Desticato
08-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Any plans to release a patch for the demo that addresses this behavior? I currently see nothing higher than 1280x960 (which is neat since the max resolution for my widescreen monitor is 1440x900, which is a 16x10 ratio, I believe).

I always go spelunking through the folders of all games that I play, so I found the user.cfg almost immediately after installing the game. I changed the settings manually but discovered that the entire UI, and the game's graphics, stretch to my native resolution. Is this something that I will have to accept or was this UI problem the culprit? As it stands, the stretching diminishes the beauty of the game significantly enought that I am instead playing in a 1024x768 window, where a square is a square.

If there was another setting that I needed to change (or add) along with the horizontal and vertical values, I'd appreciate a point in the right direction.

Now, if I can just tear myself away from the game long enough, I intend to make a separate post regarding my nirvana-like experience playing the demo since last week. Aside from a few observations, most of which probably fall under cosmetic or low-priority issues, my time with DoP is as close as I've come to playing The Perfect Game (tm) since, I don't know...the original Seven Kingdoms or maybe Kohan. (Extra points to anyone who ever played either of those games.)

In other words, well done!

Thanks for the help.

Shadow
08-22-2007, 02:19 PM
We probably won't patch the demo for a while since we should be releasing pretty soon.

Yeah, there was a bug in the widescreen stuff also. I believe we have that fixed also, just waiting on verification from the testers. I don't think there is a work around in the demo though.

And welcome to the forums Desticato. I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying the demo that much.

Shadow
08-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Ok, I just got confirmation that the widescreen bug is also fixed. BTW, if you try to use a widescreen resolution that is higher than a 1.6 ratio (like 16:9) it should work in the demo.

AnalogKid
08-27-2007, 08:55 PM
I run win2kpro, and had the same issues as others. Sounds like you fixed it, but more importantly I'll reiterate what someone else said:

Alt-Tab (or the windows key all by itself) breaks the graphics. The game keeps going, but I'll either get all black, or else everything shifted down out of the bottom, with the mouse pointer and its actual effect being displaced (e.g. to click on something, point about 3 inches above it).