PDA

View Full Version : Drox alpha

Shadow
03-16-2012, 03:39 PM
So Drox Operative has been in alpha for a week now and I thought I would write up a short blog about what that means especially since alpha tends to mean different things to different developers and publishers.

For Soldak, alpha generally means the game is playable from start to finish, is fairly stable, and we hope is already fairly fun. It doesn't necessarily mean all of the assets are done or that all of the planned features have been implemented though. Alpha is also where we start getting people that aren't on the development team to play test, so we can get some outside opinions. These are almost always family and close friends.

So far the alpha seems to be going really well. We are up to our 3rd alpha build and have already made tons of changes. Sectors have been conquered, wars have been fought, there have been a few crashes here and there but it's very stable for an alpha, and most importantly it seems like everyone is having fun despite the rough edges.

SleepySid
03-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Excellent, glad everything is going to well with Drox. Will you be releasing this as a Payable Beta like you did with Dins Curse?

Shadow
03-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Excellent, glad everything is going to well with Drox. Will you be releasing this as a Payable Beta like you did with Dins Curse?

Yes, we are planning to do a pre-order/beta like we did with DC.

gornova
03-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Shadow can you post a game or a parte of game log?

TNoyce
03-16-2012, 06:46 PM
That is all exciting news!

Keep the updates coming.. :)

aReclusiveMind
03-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Great to hear it is coming along well. I check the site a few times a week and am happy to see that the game is really coming together. Keep us posted!

aReclusiveMind
03-19-2012, 10:14 PM
How many alpha builds do you normally iterate through prior to beta status? Do you expect the beta to start by the end of 1st Quarter, or will you be in alpha until 2nd Quarter?

I've got a few upcoming games I'm interested in, but at the moment Drox is my most anticipated. I'm really curious to see how you've implemented things.

Castruccio
03-19-2012, 10:19 PM
How many alpha builds do you normally iterate through prior to beta status? Do you expect the beta to start by the end of 1st Quarter, or will you be in alpha until 2nd Quarter?

I've got a few upcoming games I'm interested in, but at the moment Drox is my most anticipated. I'm really curious to see how you've implemented things.

No beta in Q1 according to an earlier post. It seems to be on target for Q2, however.

aReclusiveMind
03-19-2012, 10:33 PM
No beta in Q1 according to an earlier post. It seems to be on target for Q2, however.

Ahh sad to hear, but understandable. Q2 starts soon enough I suppose.

Delilah Rehm
03-21-2012, 04:34 PM
I will try to figure out how to post a log. Can I copy it from the game or is it burried in a file somewhere?

PS I don't promise that my log will be interesting! ;)

Delilah Rehm
03-21-2012, 11:02 PM
So... I've been given a big red light on the log thing, because all of the text isn't in. Also, I've been told to get the text finished. :D I'll just have to leave it as "Coming Soon..." for now. Sorry! :o

Castruccio
03-21-2012, 11:36 PM
No log, no new screen shots in months, no videos. You guys are killin' us. ;)

Delilah Rehm
03-22-2012, 09:35 AM
I really should learn how to take a screen shot. :-/

gornova
03-22-2012, 05:40 PM
I will try to figure out how to post a log. Can I copy it from the game or is it burried in a file somewhere?

PS I don't promise that my log will be interesting! ;)

Shadow can help you for sure :D

About screnshots and video, you can always ask for support from community. In game screenshots could be a feature for Drox and for videos.. Fraps can help you

Shadow
04-03-2012, 05:04 PM

It looks like Din's Curse had 29 alpha builds. That's probably fairly typical for us, although that doesn't really mean that Drox will be similar. Uh, for that second question, no. :)

TNoyce
04-03-2012, 09:07 PM
I really should learn how to take a screen shot. :-/

I'm not certain what type of machine you're running, but generally on PC you can use PRT SCRN, CTRL-PRT SCRN or ALT-PRT SCRN buttons (not certain which will be pertinent to you're case.

You can then paste it into Windows Paint (or something similar) if you wish to crop or resize it, as well as save it as a jpg or png file to reduce the size.

Just my 2 cents.

aReclusiveMind
04-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks. I gathered from the tweets that new toys to play with are still going into the game every day, so I understand a bit more now about how development is progressing.

Shadow
04-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks. I gathered from the tweets that new toys to play with are still going into the game every day, so I understand a bit more now about how development is progressing.

Yeah, I'm still adding a lot of new stuff.

xau2000
04-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Wow - I just got an email about this game and I am really really excited, been reading as much as I could. How can one become alpha/beta tester. I know several folks have asked about pre-order - and I'll just throw in my question on that as well - when is pre-order?

Shadow
04-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Wow - I just got an email about this game and I am really really excited, been reading as much as I could. How can one become alpha/beta tester. I know several folks have asked about pre-order - and I'll just throw in my question on that as well - when is pre-order?

Alpha is generally just friends and family. Beta on the other hand is fairly open. Basically when we move into beta, if you pre-order you will get access to the latest beta build. I'm not positive when beta will happen, but we're getting pretty close.

PixelLord
04-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Alpha is generally just friends and family. Beta on the other hand is fairly open. Basically when we move into beta, if you pre-order you will get access to the latest beta build. I'm not positive when beta will happen, but we're getting pretty close.

Yes, I feel the same way after testing all day. No crashes, solid play, and won the sector too. Getting pretty close. And Delilah... get that Din's Curse text out of there when I talk to a planet!! ;)

aReclusiveMind
04-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Appreciate all the work you guys are doing getting the kinks worked out. I know bug hunting isn't the most fun task in the world, but we love you for it!

Delilah Rehm
04-24-2012, 07:48 PM
I think I have to do the sub-race blurbs first, but then that is the very next thing! :-) Btw, love the new pics.

PixelLord
04-24-2012, 10:16 PM
I think I have to do the sub-race blurbs first, but then that is the very next thing! :-) Btw, love the new pics.

Thanks! I think those help a lot! Also thank Bluddy and a few others for wanting them in the first place (I assume your talking about the race portraits). :)

Bluddy
04-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks! I think those help a lot! Also thank Bluddy and a few others for wanting them in the first place (I assume your talking about the race portraits). :)

Are they done? That was really fast!

Valgor
04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Are you allowed to show us a sample?

Shadow
04-25-2012, 05:58 PM
The next time we post a race blurb, I'll should be adding them to the race page.

DarkShrike
05-05-2012, 06:41 PM
My wallet stands ready to support again. Just give the word!

I know what your kickstarts are like :)

aReclusiveMind
05-05-2012, 10:23 PM
I've bought two games this week (including another space game) and invested in a few kickstarter campaigns as well, but I'm still ready to contribute whenever they decide to open the floodgates.

Chumpy
05-06-2012, 05:41 AM
Looks like there's plenty of interest in a pre-preorder.

TNoyce
05-06-2012, 07:12 AM
I'd certainly be interested in a pre order.

aReclusiveMind
05-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Just dropping by to say not all of us are off playing Diablo 3. I for one really want to see what Drox Operative has to offer. Any chance we will see beta before month end, or say, Memorial Day? I'd love to spend my days off from work checking things out.

I understand if it's just not ready for that stage yet though. I know you have a small team and have been working hard for many months adding features and fixing bugs. It certainly isn't easy making dynamic games. If it was, you wouldn't be one of the only teams I know actually making them.

Shadow
05-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Any chance we will see beta before month end, or say, Memorial Day? I'd love to spend my days off from work checking things out.

I'm not sure, but I hope we are getting that close.

aReclusiveMind
05-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the response. I am glad to hear you are getting close enough that it is within the realm of possibility rather than a flat out "No".