PDA

View Full Version : I Need to Eat More Veggies

Delilah Rehm
01-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Recently, I saw an interview with Montel Williams where he said that eating enough fruits and vegetables completely stopped his depression and cut the pain he feels in his legs in half. Really? That is awesome! Except… Vegetables? Awe hell…

In my battle for control of my body, besides jump roping, I’ve decided to put this method to the test. Ummm… But I rarely eat vegetables. I don’t like them raw. Fruit doesn’t have that issue. Also, according to the Harvard Food Pyramid (http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/pyramids.html), I should be eating beans and nuts everyday. I have a granola bar that has nuts, so that one is covered, but I don’t know what to do with beans to keep them interesting.

I’ll be doing a bit of internet surfing in the next few months to find some answers, but I thought, why not ask? You guys may have some answers. Feel free to share! I'll post links to recipes I find and LIKE.

Delve
01-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Chili, with beans. That about covers it. :)

Delilah Rehm
01-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Chili, with beans. That about covers it. :)

:eek:... :D

Delve
01-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Well... I am from Texas you know.

On second thought, no, you probably didn't know that. Consider yourself warned. :D

Delilah Rehm
01-16-2008, 04:52 PM
I probably eat more beans than I realize, because I love bean burritos. :)

StealthBunny
01-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Peanuts are a legume, and not a nut. Most beans are also legumes.

Taleana
01-16-2008, 09:06 PM
I absolutely ADORE Northern Beans and ham-hock...

and I recently found a 15 bean soup that isn't too bad. It has an original flavor...or you can get the one with spicy seasoning...but I don't do well with spicy. :)

Refried Beans, a little bit of shredded cheese, and Santitas chips also make a good snack...if you like that sorta thing...*drools*

Delilah Rehm
05-07-2008, 03:56 PM
On my birthday, my mom brought over a casserole that I'm going to try and make tonight. It was GOOD.

What's in it: Spagetti, cream of mushroom soup, velveta cheese, milk, cut up chicken, and frozen spinage.

The whole thing is done in a crockpot. I've precooked the spagetti and chicken. I hope I can figure out the amounts.

Delwynndwn
05-07-2008, 07:57 PM
You should check out Steve Pavlina (http://www.stevepavlina.com/). Amongst the various personal development things he does, he has several articles on vegetarian, vegan, and even raw food diets.

He's recently done an experiment again with a raw food diet, but focusing on sweet fruits instead of what he had done in the past. He experienced pretty amazing changes, and when he tried going back to cooked food after his experiment, his body apparently rebelled.

You don't have to go vegetarian or vegan or anything if you don't want to. However, you really should eat more stuff from plants. Just be careful about the junkfood! ;)

However, I will say from experience that going vegetarian has improved my health to a good degree (about 1.5 years now). Before this, I used to eat a LOT of meat, hardly any veggies, and fruit was pretty rare. The transition was pretty easy for me, but since I'm living in LA, I have pretty easy access to all sorts of vegetarian options that taste good (though I have tasted stuff that weren't so good too). Depending on the area you live in, you may not have as easy access to vegetarian options.

Oh, and btw, I don't miss the meat. In fact, over time, it has gotten to the point where it seems a bit gross.

Delilah Rehm
05-08-2008, 09:04 AM
I eat mostly... bread. And not much of it is whole grain. :( Although, now I'm eating better than I ever did in my entire life. Change takes time, and I'm working on. I don't have to eat 100% good stuff only, I just want it to be waaaaaay better than it is now. :)

I've been working on setting up a links page and Steve Pavlina is on it. :eek: His blog on focus helped me go from regular stay-at-home-mom to contest-winning-writer. He's a bit more hippy than I'd like, but there are true gems of wisdom on his site.

Delwynndwn
05-16-2008, 08:46 PM
I find that I eat less bread nowadays, though I still like to have it now and then. Most of the time it comes in the form of sandwiches or pizzas, and when I can I go for whole wheat.

That could be why I dropped even further from 130 lbs. to around 122-125 lbs. :eek:

And yeah, Steve Pavlina is awesome! ^_^

Delve
05-17-2008, 05:56 AM
We bake most of our own bread. And biscuits for that matter. I have no proof, but I suspect it's healthier than anything storebought. If nothing else I at least have a better idea of what goes into it.

Shadow
05-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Well at least when you make your own food you are not likely to be putting in bad things like high fructose corn syrup, transfat, tons of preservatives, or the rest of the crap that goes into packaged food these days.

Baskar
05-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Doc's would probably have a field day with what I eat. I'm a vegetarian's worst nightmare. 99% of my diet consists of meat. If I remember, I might have some broccoli or a baked potato once a week. And do I care? Nope. I eat what I want, when I want and to heck with what the doc's say. Heck, they can't agree on anything these days.

I try to live off the land. Mind you, I still go and get steak, but that's what large freezers are for. Stock up and I'm good to go. I don't go to town that often. Maybe twice a year tops.

(name here)
05-23-2008, 11:32 PM
i eat whatever, it seems to have worked just fine, in fact i am clinically underweight with low cholesterol

Baskar
05-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Hey, I'm underweight too. Runs on my father's side of the family. Keep getting told to eat more, but that's not worked out the last 10 years. I'm 6'5" and 125 pounds.

Delve
05-24-2008, 06:09 PM
My inlaws have been trying to fatten me up since I met them. Some 6 or 7 years ago now. Hasn't really worked yet according to them, though I've probably put on 20 pounds.

Delilah Rehm
05-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Guys! Wow. I think I'm jealous.

I probably should eat more meat too.

Delve
05-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Try gaining muscle mass. Even at rest, larger muscles burn more energy.

webarchitect
06-19-2008, 09:25 PM
I love eating veggies, especially those veggies mixed with lobsters or fish...Eating veggies is ok, as long as you know how to make them properly so that they don't taste like raw leaves..

StrawberryJam8
07-16-2008, 08:55 AM
I can't understand why some people dont like eating veggies. With the right spices and food mix they should taste really good. I've loved eating veggies since I was 5 or 6. And even today, I enjoy making veggie foods for breakfast. I'm gonna probably consider making some veggie smileys or some myspace smileys depicting vegetables as a great diet. And I have seen some free smileys and cool smileys depicting veggie-eating people enjoying their meal. Sounds cool, eh.

sss4r
07-25-2008, 04:04 PM
hey, now, hippy is generally good in my book :)

i wonder if the benefit of eating vegetables is mostly the antioxidants? check your natural food store for supplements -- pomegranate, acai, blueberry, noni, mangosteen, etc., that is "superfruits", are packed with 'em. the more exotic the better i say. high doses of b vitamins helps with anxiety and depression, so that may be another explanation. you can always take supplements for those, too.

webmd has many articles about some of the "best foods" for healing and well being.

one study i read about suggests that you can lose 80% more abdominal fat by consuming 30-50% of your daily calories from yogurt. try kefir on the go. chobani is a greek yogurt with real fruit on the bottom and is FAT-FREE, high in protein, and tastes like a dessert. Plus it has probiotics.

taking supplements, eating organic whole foods, and regular exercise made a world of difference to my mood.

Delilah Rehm
07-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Yogurt? Umm.... Too bad I don't like it. :(

I have found something new I like, steamed edamame with thick graduals of salt (It's actually soy beans. Shhhh!!! Don't tell. ;)). Yum! I first had this at an asian restaurant, and then found it in the grocery store.

Delilah Rehm
07-28-2008, 12:27 AM
I can't understand why some people dont like eating veggies. With the right spices and food mix they should taste really good. I've loved eating veggies since I was 5 or 6. And even today, I enjoy making veggie foods for breakfast. I'm gonna probably consider making some veggie smileys or some myspace smileys depicting vegetables as a great diet. And I have seen some free smileys and cool smileys depicting veggie-eating people enjoying their meal. Sounds cool, eh.

That's it! I don't know the right spices and food mix! Growing up, veggies were green beans or corn straight out of the can! Seriously! That's why I put out the call. I'd love if you could share a couple of the things you like. I really do want to change how I eat, but there's so much out there, I'm having a hard time finding good stuff.