PDA

View Full Version : How will the role mechanics work in game?

DeathKnight1728
04-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Im definitely getting this game as supporting soldak is just fun, but i have a few questions. Normally i dont get into space type games, but i can make exceptions as soldak makes great action/rpgs.

-Will there be a role type part of this system such as ships that take more punishment being-fighters, ships that are fast, quick and deal with stunning ships being rogues. I know that there are no classes but can you build your character's ship in a way that allows for roleplaying like that.

I know that there are no fantasy like swords and axes, but it would be cool if you could build your ship/crew in a way that designates some sort of role.

Other than that, im looking forward to the release of this game and getting anxious for the most part as well. :D

Shadow
04-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Yes, you can play in a variety of ways like you can in our fantasy games. The only real difference is that instead of choosing a class or hybrid, you choose which components to install on your ship.

You can tank by adding lots of armor & shields. You can nuke from a distance with things like missiles and bombs. You can be a short range fighter with closer range weapons like beams. You can be sneaky with cloaking devices and EMPs. You can even be a pet type of class with fighters.

There are also a lot of non-weapon items that can greatly change your role: tractor and repulsor beams, jammers, decoys, debuffs, etc.

DeathKnight1728
04-12-2012, 11:56 PM
I really dont know this area as ive played few games like this. Sounds cool though as soldak has yet to do a classless system.

If you dont mind me asking (im really not familiar with this stuff), what are cloaking devices and emps actual ability. Do cloaking devices allow you to be invisible like han solo's ship in star wars and what are emps?

aReclusiveMind
04-13-2012, 12:12 AM
These are my theories based on how some other space games have done this.

EMP stands for Electromagnetic Pulse and is generally used as a weapon that disables electronics. I suspect it would be a weapon you could use to disable some parts of enemy ships or perhaps completely stun them. In some ways these are similar to abilities used in fantasy RPGs and offer a lot of utility.

I suspect cloaking devices allow you to be invisible until you attack and then force you to become visible for some length of time before you can cloak again. Attacking from cloak sometimes offers additional bonuses such as more damage or better accuracy compared to normal attacks. In this way you can almost guarantee yourself an "opener" similar to a stealthed rogue getting an opening hit on their enemies.

There will certainly be a lot of different ways to play the game and instead of focusing on class differences your ship design will be influenced moreso by what random loot you happen to get in that session (this is my best guess based on what I know). You may end up collecting an awesome fighter bay and decide to change your ships focus from what you initially expected. In another game, you might found some awesome missiles and decide to make your ship into a gunboat. It could also be influenced by whom you are at war with. If you are fighting a heavy, up close and personal race, then you may be inclined to use more stand off missile boat type components.

gornova
04-13-2012, 05:31 AM
Yes, you can play in a variety of ways like you can in our fantasy games. The only real difference is that instead of choosing a class or hybrid, you choose which components to install on your ship.

You can tank by adding lots of armor & shields. You can nuke from a distance with things like missiles and bombs. You can be a short range fighter with closer range weapons like beams. You can be sneaky with cloaking devices and EMPs. You can even be a pet type of class with fighters.

There are also a lot of non-weapon items that can greatly change your role: tractor and repulsor beams, jammers, decoys, debuffs, etc.

I'd like to see some blog of forum post about ship types, can you explain this better with some examples?

Shadow
04-13-2012, 10:11 AM
I'd like to see some blog of forum post about ship types, can you explain this better with some examples?

The ships themselves just get bigger with more slots, more structure (health), and more weight. It's the components that you install that change everything.

DeathKnight1728
04-13-2012, 11:46 AM
These are my theories based on how some other space games have done this.

EMP stands for Electromagnetic Pulse and is generally used as a weapon that disables electronics. I suspect it would be a weapon you could use to disable some parts of enemy ships or perhaps completely stun them. In some ways these are similar to abilities used in fantasy RPGs and offer a lot of utility.

I suspect cloaking devices allow you to be invisible until you attack and then force you to become visible for some length of time before you can cloak again. Attacking from cloak sometimes offers additional bonuses such as more damage or better accuracy compared to normal attacks. In this way you can almost guarantee yourself an "opener" similar to a stealthed rogue getting an opening hit on their enemies.

There will certainly be a lot of different ways to play the game and instead of focusing on class differences your ship design will be influenced moreso by what random loot you happen to get in that session (this is my best guess based on what I know). You may end up collecting an awesome fighter bay and decide to change your ships focus from what you initially expected. In another game, you might found some awesome missiles and decide to make your ship into a gunboat. It could also be influenced by whom you are at war with. If you are fighting a heavy, up close and personal race, then you may be inclined to use more stand off missile boat type components.

Thankyou for that excellent info!

I simply don't know this stuff :)

Ive played all types of rpgs but never played ones like spacerangers and others that feature ships. This sounds really cool for a game and when the beta comes ill be more than glad to start up my ship/crew.

Shadow
04-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much. I have never specifically designed any of the ship components to correspond to any specific fantasy classes, but it's really there anyways. The terminology is just different. If you want to play something like a fighter, rogue, or mage type of character, you can do that. It's just a matter of outfitting your ship to support that type of role.